I picked up an 84 300sd for $1600 a couple of months ago and am slowly restoring her. So far I've swapped the headlights out for a pair of the clear led lights I picked up off of ebay. Started refacing the interior wood trim with burl wood vinyl (not as good as original wood but way cheaper and still looks decent in my opinion). I had to buy a piece of wood trim for the glove box since it was completely gone, and I have to glue the metal piece back on over the passenger side vent. I rigged up a multiport power supply on the back of the change holder.
Here's a couple of pics of the exterior from the day I bought it
Here's a few pics of it with the new headlights on:
I didn't get any interior pics as it was just too hideous lol.
But here's a couple after I redid the center console wood and stuck on the glove box wood.
Here's a couple shots with the passenger side vent piece back on:
I have the vinyl on the passenger side trim that goes over the vent and will glue it back on later today.
I have to say that I'm pretty happy with the look of this vinyl for the price. A hell of a lot cheaper than getting new wood and I think looks just as good, maybe even better than what's available for these things now. I kind of wish that I would have went with a more reddish tinted burl though.
I have a set of chrome wheel well trim coming and am probably going to stick the chrome mirror covers on it. I also need to reattach the drivers side back lower plastic trim, it was just laying in the trunk when I bought it. I'm debating having it repainted though so I'm holding off on getting these things done until I decide what I'm going to do. I'm leaning towards having it completely repainted black and doing away with the plastic grey trim and just running a chrome strip instead. There are a couple of rust spots under that plastic trim that I'd like to have fixed and a couple of rust bubbles starting in a couple of other spots which is the main reason I'm leaning towards a complete repaint since these have to be addressed anyway.
Things slated for the interior:
1.Obviously I need to finish doing the vinyl on the rest of the wood trim places.
2. I'm thinking about replacing the center console trim with new pieces fabricated out of plastic and faced with the burl vinyl as I plan on adding a double din 7" ttf monitor and car computer with radio tuner, I've got a pretty killer design put together on it. I currently tether my droid to my laptop and use an rf modulator to play it over the radio so I can listen to internet radio since I like to listen to talk radio and there's really not a lot of strong stations where where I live. Plus I can listen to my library of mp3's. I have a 10" ttf monitor that I attach to a mount on top of the dash currently but the 7" double din set up with the micro computer tucked into the dash nice and neat will be much easier and cleaner. I plan on actually moving the acc controls down to where the radio and ashtray is now and sticking the monitor at the top.
3. I currently have a custom set of new seat leathers being made, hopefully these are finished soon as I'm super stoked about getting them in. Here's a pick of the mock up I made for them:
I'm going to do the old pool noodle trick on the seats while I have them apart to firm them up. I'm also thinking about sticking some memory foam on the top to replace the old hair pad. I also have 2 carbon fiber seat warmers coming with the new leathers so those will get installed then also. I think I'm going to stick the toggles for them where the current speaker fader is since it won't be needed once the new set up is in.
4. While I have the seats out I'm going to give the carpet and plastic dye a try. The carpet as you can see in the pics is absolutely disgusting, i'm guessing it was originally palomino but it's aged into a gross greenish gold color. I'm going to try and dye it the off white color I used for the inner parts of the new seat leather. I'm going to try and redye the plastic the same palomino but have heard people say the sem stuff is quite a bit lighter than the actual trim which is actually a good thing in my opinion since I think it's too dark and I plan on redoing all of the plastic. I'm going to hold off until the actual seat leathers come in so I can make sure it's a good match to the outer pieces of the seats, the color in the mock up is a little off since I did a semi-transparent color layer over the stock grey the ad showed. I think I'm going to change the door inserts to the white as well.
5. While I'm putting the new leathers on I'm going to build a cup holder into the arm rest. I think I'm just going to cut a hole in it and stick in stainless steel poker table cup holder insert. I may also get some of these fold up things and attach them to the sides of the armrest Folding Cup Holder - Interior Accessories - Car Accessories - Griot's Garage
I've seen some good reviews of them.
6. I was planning on replacing the cluster with a plasma cluster from moman on ebay. I've been waiting impatiently for the last several weeks for him to start selling mph versions since he only had kph until now, only to find out he didn't plan to make the style I had wanted lol. I'm still debating on going with one of the other versions, as it is the dash is just way too dark and I have a hard time seeing it at night. I really have to squint to see the clock and fuel gauge. I even replaced the bulbs and it was still way too dark. I did jump the rheostat when I had the cluster out also so it's as bright as it gets. I'll think about this one for a few weeks, I'm still too bitter from the news that the one I had my heart set on isn't going to be made lol.
7. I'm leaning towards sticking a pair of the illuminated door sills on if I can find a set for the sd body length, or maybe just going with the etched stainless steel ones. Still debating on this one.
8. I need to replace the overhead dome light, I'm thinking about maybe doing something a little bit different there and maybe setting up an ultra bright led thing. Haven't really put too much thought into that yet.
9. I plan on adding the chrome border to the shift plate and replacing the shifter handle with a burl one with the mb wreath on the top. There's a chrome shift plate with mercedes-benz etched into it at http://www.ioffer.com/i/chrome-gear-...w202-141724255
that I really want to use also, it looks amazing in the photo.
Some of the mechanical things I've done so far are:
1. Sunroof would open but not close, I took the switch out and cleaned up the terminals but it still didn't work so I cleaned the rails up and ended up buying a used motor off of ebay. The switch seemed to stick a bit still so before trying to swap out the motor I took the switch apart again and realized that the little ball bearing on one side wasn't seated right, fixed that and it worked like a champ lol. So if anyone needs a sunroof motor from an 85 300sd I've got one for $50.
2. Extremely hard shifting, quick glance under the hood and found some vacuum lines not connected all the way. Snugged them back up and helped quite a bit but still shifted too hard. Replaced the valve arms on top of the valve cover and got a little better but still shifts a little too hard once it warms up. Shifts great for a little while before it gets warm though. I might just take it to someone to go through the vacuum system in detail.
3. When I first bought the car I started smelling fuel and noticed the headlights going dim the longer I drove. Once I got it home I realized that the guy I bought it from had replaced one of the injector return lines with a vacuum hose lol!! Obviously once the hose started getting warm it popped off and spilled fuel everywhere. Picked up a piece of rubber fuel line from nappa and replaced it, seems to work like a champ. I also looked at the alternator belt and it looked brand spankin new, but apparently the guy didn't know how to tighten it as it was extremely loose. Tightened it up a bit and no more troubles.
4. Had the tranny flushed and new fluid put in and had the oil changed to amco synthetic the day I got it. This car had sat for a few years before I bought it so I changed the oil again two thousand miles later to royal purple. Let me say that this car was a son of a gun to start in the cold, without ether you'd kill the battery before it would start. After putting royal purple in the car started sooooo much better, and the engine seems to run much smoother also. Even with the car sitting in the heated garage it would take a while to fire up after sitting over night, now the thing starts up just as fast as a new gas engine. I'm super impressed with the royal purple oil, it's expensive but in my opinion it's worth it. I also ran fuel additive for the first few tanks of fuel since the fuel was a year old when I picked it up. I've picked up a new primary and secondary fuel filter and will be replacing those this weekend.
Some mechanical things slated to do still:
1. Have the vacuum system gone through in detail.
2. Cut a coil out of the front springs, these things look like 4x4's with how high the front ends sit. Will replace all of the shocks with new blisteins also when I do the springs. The back seems to sag a bit lower than the front so I don't think I'll need to cut the back but will see how it looks once the front is cut and the new shocks are on.
3. The passenger side front window doesn't work at all, I need to do some trouble shooting to see if it's the switch or the motor. The back passenger side window doesn't roll up all the way so I need to fix that, probably when I pull the door apart to recolor the plastic on it.
4. I'm going to replace the motor mounts and shocks, it shakes a bit at idol.
5. I'm also going to replace the flex disk, I haven't even looked at it yet but it's so easy and cheap I'm just going to do it so I know it's new.
6. I'm going to have the air conditioner converted to the new style, it currently doesn't work. I'll probably have that done when I take it in to have the vacuum system checked out.
7. I need to pull the blower motor out and try cleaning the terminals up. It currently only works if I smack the bottom of the dash lol. The first few times I smacked it I heard tons of crud falling onto the bottom of the dash cover lol so I'm sure a good cleaning will fix it.
8. I need to pull the cruise unit out and hit the solder points with an iron. The cruise works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it kicks on when I don't expect it to which is a little disconcerting lol.
The next big purchase for this car and my number one priority after the seats are a new set of wheels! These 14" bundts are hideous in my opinion and just way too small for a car this size. I really really really want a good set of chrome lorinser rs80's. There's a great set for sale on here for $800 that I found the day after I sent the $550 for the new seat leathers so I couldn't snatch them up. Hopefully he still has them in a few weeks, I really want those on my car lol.