Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

my uncles old 560 sec

2K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Solid Snake 
#1 · (Edited)
Man I should turn my unc over and spank him for what he did to his benz.

Cascade, i mentioned this car briefly to you..

heres a short summary of the story behind this car:
-my uncle Phil bought this car in 6/90 from Stead mbz dealer(1st owner)Yes!
-currently on its 2nd ownership (also an uncle of mine). Phil gave it to him back in the day.
-does not drive it anymore. its been sitting for a couple yrs.
-last yr i put a new fuel filter on it and it fired right up. the motor was smooth! way smoother than mine. but its been sitting since. i want to give it some tlc...
-original license plates
-has all books and records. (i still havn't searched through them yet...) but he spent money on this car up until he stopped caring for it
-1990 model if i remember correctly
-178k miles (driven from canada and back quite a few times so it racked up miles)
-but it has been abused the last couple yrs of its life..(uncle bought the new s550 in 2007)
-has rear curtain
-no asr
-dual airbags
-rear headrests etc

what do you guys think? worth restoring???? or should i just pick it apart for mine...
i know with this car and my car, I could make one awesome car. idk which one i like though. i like my glovebox but i like my uncles rear headrests and curtain. also very smooth motor and updated interior along with records since new. (i still have to explore them to see what has been done)

what do you guys think? :)

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes worth restoring, put the biggest wheel, tire combo from a newer mercedes that will fit and then get the thing painted a matt black finish, lower it, but make sure it has rake to it and super tune the hell out of it. Just my opinion kinda getting ready to do the same thing to mine except in white. The world needs more german hot rods I think.

#11 ·
NO Brainer!!! Family owned car from day one! KEEP IT IN THE FAMILY!. You have been looking at SEC's for awhile. This is a family car that should stay in the family. personally I would go with the SEC for multiple reasons. Keep your car for parts if you can. 040 Blk ob Blk is a highly desirable color combo. The loss of a glove box is minuscule, as the coupe has the console box.

#12 ·
finally convinced him to give it to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
took me forever!!!
:D

It needs a lot of work though..... But I do have my '88 "parts car"
My '88 looks a lot better (has some cosmetic flaws however) than the '90 and it now runs really well, but this one has been in my family since day 1. My uncle bought it with 20 miles on the odo. Now has a little over 170k miles. (its been from California to Canada on numerous occasions) My '88 now has over 200k. (ive put about 20k miles since I bought it 2 summers ago..shes so reliable..)

The '90 needs a full resto....Im estimating $10k?+? Paint, Interior, etc. Mechanically it might be sound. What do you guys think? Is it worth it? Or is that too much money to spend on an SEC?
Main thing is, I would love to do to this car what people like mclare have done to their cars. I feel like I would have a real show stopper when Im all done.
Plus i have 2 good cars....marry them together and maybe ill get one GREAT car?
Its crazy to think I now own two black/black SECs...:)
I haven't done any paperwork yet..My uncle couldn't find the pinkslip. I'll let you guys know when i do. Im hoping it is a clean title....I know at least the rear bumper was replaced because of an accident. But the body looks straight to me. Maybe someone here has extra carfaxs? if not, Ill do one eventually.

The search is now on for many many parts hehehe

Im being very brief...More details will come soon. Thanks for your time guys :)

Attachments

#14 ·
After what I spent on my restoration, yeah ten grand is worth it.

#15 ·
With its history,being in the family and whatnot... I would keep it and restore it. Atleast thats what I would do if I were in your situation. If you're planning on restoring and then selling... then its not worth all the effort.

It boils down to sentimental value and market value. A SEC with 170k+ miles on it will never be worth much even if its in perfect shape. You may have the occaisionaly odd-balls out there, but in order for a W126 to have any real value... its about mileage and condition.

#17 ·
Hmmm very interesting. Thanks for the feedback guys :)
I would never sell it Honestly. My '88 is too nice to part out but I don't think I could ever come to selling it either. She's been too good to me.
Time to start saving up some $...ill have something to do when I'm done with college next yr

For now, I'll just keep driving the he'll out of my '88. Both are resting side by side in my garage back in Stockton. It's a very pleasant sight to see :)
Thanks again guys. I'll keep you all informed

#18 ·
Your uncle can or you can download an application for duplicate tuitle from the DMV wesite annd he can transfer the car to you with that doc(transfer of duplicate title. Page one is for him to fill out and get notarized, and page two is for you the buyer to fill out. You take both pages to dmv to change title into your name. being a relative he can gift it to you with no tax. You will not have to smog it if it isn't close to smog time either since he is a relative.
I just did this today with the paperwork above for the 1977 240 D that was given to me. PO got the first sheet notarized and I filled in the second sheet. I did state a purchase price to keep it simple, because we are not relatives. In and out of DMV in 20 minutes(that in itself, was a great feat).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.