Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Help with Heat Shields, Please!

6K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  500MPL 
#1 ·
Can anybody help me locate two pieces of heat shield for the drivers side? I'm looking for the drivers-side firewall shield and the next part to connect to the centre shield. This is for a SEL wheelbase car if that matters.

I've attached an image to show the two parts. Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll keep my eyes open for Euro's. They have heat shields on both sides.

As an aside, my DVR had recorded speed TV's 2 guy garage 2 weeks ago after the F1 qualifying. The guys were putting a late chevy LS2 power plant into a old M3 BMW, and used a self adhesive heat shield that came off a roll to be cut to measure, with silver reflective outside.
Cheers

#3 ·
They are the same for the SE and SEL. Try to find some scrapyard near you and locate there a V8 W126 (I asume you are looking for one of those).

Good luck!

#5 ·
I has to be a Euro, and they are getting a bit thin on the ground here.
The US cars have the passenger side manifold going into a pipe that runs between the engine and fire wall to the drivers side manifold, and into only one down pipe.
US emission laws were the culprit for this strangulation of engine breathing.
Cheers

#4 ·
I'm changing the exhaust on my US 560SEL from the cross-over pipe setup to a tri-y AMG exhaust. The US cars don't have the heat shields on the drivers side, and I want to put the shields like I have on my euro SEL. MB says they are NLA so I figured some fellow 126 enthusiast may be able to help locate these two shields.

Thanks for the look-out and just pm me if anyone finds some parts.

Regards,

#6 ·
I am going to be doing this soon as well. Are you tying into to existing kidneys or are you replacing them with a straight pipe?

Mike

#8 ·
Not sure how I'm going to finish off the exhaust, but it will be SS. What resonators did Henric use on his car? I'd be curious to see possible options. Nothing loud since I drive the children and baby around in the car. Just want to 'open' the breathing up and flow better.
Any help on the euro heat shields will be appreciated.

Regards,

#11 ·
Henric is who I purchased the manifolds and he is having the downpipes started in the next week or so. The heat shields is the 'needle in the haystack' now. Who would have thought when we all want these exhaust systems and look for years for them, that a thin piece of shielding would hold up the project.

Regards,

#12 ·
I too am buying manifolds (Tri Y's) from Henric. We will have to compare installation notes. :thumbsup:

Mike

#14 · (Edited)
The heat shields are stock Mercedes euro items. The heat shields are not too difficult to find, but are a bear to take off a donor car in a junkyard. If the donor still has the engine and exhaust manifolds on the car, the top screw on the upper shield is very difficult to get to. When you have your manifold off when changing them out it becomes easy to access that screw, so no problem putting them on.

I will keep an eye out for you as I am sure others out this way will also, but make sure whoever gets the shields for you also takes a second to collect the small 8mm screws that hold them on. They are of different lengths and make it much easier putting them on if you have these original screws.

When mounting 48hp's downpipes you will need to flatten out the driver's side shield a bit as the down pipe is tucked up tight and runs slightly longer than the stock pipes (at least on my set they were). No major surgery, just some light bending, but don't beat yourself up trying to mount the shields without tweeking them a bit.

#15 ·
Thanks for keeping an eye out for me Kodiak. Mike if you haven't received your manifolds yet, get ready. They look awsome! Can't wait till the downpipes arrive so the entire system can be installed.

Kodiak, did you keep any cats on your car? If so, can you describe your system and what your approach to the O2 sensor issue you went with.

Regards,

#16 ·
500MPL,

Mine will be a little different being that they will be the cast iron Tri Y's and not the tubular header. He has had them sand blasted so the will look almost new. I have not received them yet but I know Henric and his high standards. So if it's coming from Henric, it's got to be phenomenal. Regarding the heat shield, I also watched the episode of Two Guys Garage on Speed that Tuetone mentioned and will inquire about the heat shield wrapping I saw on the Speed channel. I am going to use my Indy to complete the stock manifold to Try Y conversion and Orange Count Muffler (Borla Flowmaster Magnaflow Muffler Exhaust Systems Orange County Muffler serving Costa Mesa) to complete the exhaust. Click on the Youtube link to see their work.

Mike

#18 ·
Kodiak, Big thanks in advance for the effort.
My idea so far is to run a true euro style exhaust since my state doesn't have a smog inspection. I prefer to maintain the O2 sensor close to the original position for the exhaust heat needed, so I'm looking at only reading two cylinders for the reading. I'm not sure what I'm in for as far as the computer function. I could run the sensor farther down where the pipes join into a single pipe but still would only read 4 cylinders. Then the temp may be affected being that far back. I just don't know, that is why I ask others of their experiences.
Thanks again for the look out and the info.

Regards,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.