#1 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 03:02 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 1988 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Oil Leak 560SEL; DIY seal replacement(s)? How?

Throughout my two years of ownership, I have been aware that my 560 leaks oil. You can tell every space my car has been parked in because of the stains. For every long/highway trip I go on, I notice that the oil level falls incrementally on the dipstick. Moreover, during and after every long trip or hard driving, there is the omnipresent scent of WD-40 sizzling on the exhaust and cats; occasionally, there is even a slight plume of smoke that rises suspiciously from beneath the hood. I have been told that it is a "common problem on older Mercedes", and that "repairing it would cost more than the car is worth". I do not doubt either of these statements, and suppose I could leave it be for another several thousand miles or more (currently have about 138,500 miles) before addressing it. Yet I was recently faced with the grim reality of the situation when I took my 560 in for an oil change, and observed that most of the underside of the car, including the floor pan and exhaust system, was coated in oil from it streaking back from the leak during fast driving. Duh. But this sight and the constant smell of burning oil immensely bothered me, so I began doing some research into a DIY project to replace the two main areas I believe to be the source of my leak(s); the engine rear main seal, and the automatic transmission front seal. I have been told that the leak is at the head gasket (?), but I see no evidence of this as it appears that the leak occurs only where the engine meets the transmission. I would like to know more about how I can go about replacing the seals myself, as I would certainly save a ton of money by doing so, and am absolutely through with dubious Mercedes mechanics. I am somewhat familiar with the procedure to get to both seals, yet I am not entirely clear. If anyone can provide me with technical support or online shop manuals, it would be greatly appreciated. I will try and get some pictures of the leak situation as soon as I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 05:15 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Have you replaced your valve cover gaskets? If not - do it.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 06:11 PM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6, bought 07/08 with 50k original miles.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordRhein View Post
Have you replaced your valve cover gaskets? If not - do it.
+ 1. That should be the first step. The 'Welcome...' announcement / tutorial on top will help to locate the many threads in the forum archive etc.
Cheers
#4 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 07:24 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 1990 560 SEL
Yup-- I was going to say "valve cover gaskets" too. They often leak at the rear of the cylinder bank, and a cursory inspection would make it seem like the rear seal. I'd definitely have a real close look at the top of the engine right in front of the false firewall. Also have a look at the oil pressure sending unit, below and behind the oil filter housing. Mine had a slow drip there for a long time, with the same smoke/smell symptoms. Very slow leak (oil level never went down more than 1/4 quart over 3K miles). Yours is more serious, obviously, and the VCGs are the prime suspect(s).

1990 560 SEL, 190K. Smoke silver (702) on Cream beieg leather (265). Gen 2 euro bumpers, euro headlights/turns, W140 glass moonroof, orthopedic seats, Nakamichi CD400/MBQuart 4.125 ONYX amp w/ Polk db650 rears, db1000 fronts, rear "dummy" lights activated as brake lights, 35% bronze tints.
1983 300SD, 106K. Orient Red (501) on Java MB tex (154). SOLD (and I miss ol' Hans...)
#5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 08:27 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
Vehicle: '90 560 SEL RUF 42,000m, '90 560 SEL RUF 56,000m, '90 560 SEL RUF 150,000m '90 560 SEC RUF 225,000m
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElRojo View Post
Yup-- I was going to say "valve cover gaskets" too. They often leak at the rear of the cylinder bank, and a cursory inspection would make it seem like the rear seal. I'd definitely have a real close look at the top of the engine right in front of the false firewall. Also have a look at the oil pressure sending unit, below and behind the oil filter housing. Mine had a slow drip there for a long time, with the same smoke/smell symptoms. Very slow leak (oil level never went down more than 1/4 quart over 3K miles). Yours is more serious, obviously, and the VCGs are the prime suspect(s).
Chipping in my two cents; every time I've had smoke from under the hood, it's the Valve Cover Gaskets weeping gently onto the exhaust headers. I've had a 380 and two 560's do this, all around 130,000 miles (just before they start crying for valve guide seals to be replaced). The 380 was exactly as you describe; underside smeared in oil and drips from bell-housing. All from VGG's.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 12:38 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 1988 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL
(Thread Starter)
Hmm... not the first time I've been suggested that the problem lies with the VCGs, but I never thought of taking a closer look at it. I will certainly look into it now, thanks for the pointers.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 02:44 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 1983 500 SEC Lorinser 1971 280se w108
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Also when the valve covers are off its a great time to check your cam chain and guides
I bought new valve cover gaskets and when I pulled the covers to fit em discovered my cam chain had streached my guides were brittle and saved myself major heart ache by doing the lot at the same time

#8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 08:01 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2010
I have the exact same car, what all is involved with changing the front seal on the transmission?
Tony Funches likes this.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.