Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1981 300SD Transmission Problem???

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  netpro 
#1 · (Edited)
:mad:SO WHERE ARE THE EXPERTS ON THIS FORUM????? WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS FORUM IF NOBODY KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THESE PROBLEMS? I'VE WAITED A NUMBER OF DAYS AND NO REPLIES... GOOD GRIEF MY QUESTION IS GETTING SO DOWN THE LIST I CAN BARELY FIND IT HOW IS ANYONE EVER GOING TO ANSWER ME????:mad:

:confused:Isn't there someone here who can help me???? I see other members get answers and no one tells me anything or gives me an idea what is wrong??? Isn't there an expert who recognizes these problems? Good grief this is an old car someone must have had this...:confused:

I just got a 1981 300SD 5 cylinder automatic transmission. Well I took it out for it's first drive after having it dollied to my house. It seemed to be shifting hard like you could feel it in the car. I thought this was normal. However after about 100 mile trip come cruising down a hill coasting into town, stop light up ahead about 100 yards so I gently stepped on the gas and it revs and no gear. Fortunately I was able to coast into a nearby gas station. I checked the tranny fluid it was fine, no drips, burnt smell or discoloration. Clean under the car - no leaks.

So thought it may have heated up sat for two hours and tried it a few times in between - nothing no gears just park. When I shifted through the gear shift it felt like there was nothing there. When I put it in a gear and pressed the gas peddle the speedo jumped like it was in gear but the car does not move.

Sometimes when I put it in gear heard a low growl but not every time. It did move the speedo everytime though. Checked the vacuum lines and wiring no apparent problem there.

So had to have it towed home - $500.00 touch for that. :crybaby2:

Now I am at a loss. I came home did a more indepth of the vacuume and wiring. So decided to pull the tranny to look at the torque converter and rear end. All looks good. Torque converter is good, the rear end nice and tight nothing out of place. What is the problem that is my question. Is the tranny screwed?:mad:

As you can see I pulled and opened the transmission it looks good, nothing loose no metal filings, clean. In the torque converter ther is a bit of rattle if I use a tool to push on the sides of the gearing is that normal? I can't see any problem here... those vacuume lines are like new nothing looks stripped...

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.