Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

SEC Lover? 1991 Mercedes-Benz 560SEC 16K Miles

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Nightbird 
#1 ·
#4 ·
The ad makes NO mention of service records which would be essential to establishing whether of not this car was properly taken care of. Even though it only has 16k on the odometer, it doesn't mean it was properly taken care of. If it really is a perfect specimen then $25k would probably be a more realistic price.

#5 · (Edited)
These are the best cars ever made. With a little haggling, one could drive that car for 15 years or 250,000 miles for less than the price of any decent GT coupe on the market today.

The idea that one has to find a diamond in the rough or some seller who has low expectations is a disease that keeps car lovers from enjoying the best of what they really want.

EDIT:

I went back and re read some of the posts on this car when it was on here before. Really folks, I don't mean to be telling the experts here their business, but . . . . . . One guy wants to compare this car with rebuilding some junk assed SEC from the ground up, someone else says buy an SL600, someone else thinks its worth $4200? What's the story? .

#7 ·
The idea that one has to find a diamond in the rough or some seller who has low expectations is a disease that keeps car lovers from enjoying the best of what they really want.

And here I thought what was stopping me from enjoying what I really want to drive is the fact that my bank account isn't as vast as others..go figure! You sound just like a Saudi friend of mine who couldn't understand why more people don't drive Rolls Royce Corniche's like his, or wear fine timepieces on their wrists like his Cartier Pasha watch -he just put it down to most people not having good taste..lol.

I knew trying to explain the concept that not all of us are rich or were born with a silver spoon in our mouth was a losing battle, so I won't try that here either. =)

#6 ·
#11 · (Edited)
I agree that the NADA price is low. Although I am sure that 16000 mile number is simply the 150,000 number extrapolated for the maximum low mileage credit. They use an average and give credit or deduction for mileage differences from average. We know a 16000 mile car is a completely different animal than a 150000 mile car with a big credit for low mileage. Right?

Here are your NADA numbers for a car with 90,000 miles:

RoughTrade-In AverageTrade-In CleanTrade-In CleanRetail
Base Price $1,900 $3,350 $4,575 $6,150
Mileage - 90,000 miles $2,287 $2,287 $2,287 $2,287
TOTAL PRICE $4,187 $5,637 $6,862 $8,437*

Here are the numbers for this same car with 100 miles:

Base Price $1,900 $3,350 $4,575 $6,150
Mileage - 100 miles $2,287 $2,287 $2,287 $2,287
TOTAL PRICE $4,187 $5,637 $6,862 $8,437*

I think this proves that they are just allowing for a credit of some % for low miles.

Fortunately for us, none of these cars has become really collectible. So the prices reflect what a market of drivers as opposed to collectors will pay to drive a 20 year old car. But don't we all know that both the sedans and coupes transcend the age tag? A car in the condition of this SEC may have some surprises when it is put back into service, but at what cost? $3-5K unless someone didn't start it for 5 years or whatnot. Then it is a better car from a daily driver's standpoint than a 2007 S550 or equivalent? What does that car have that a 1991 560SEC lacks other than side airbags and a lot of electronic junk that will probably just require service anyway? And, I'd rather own the 1991 SEC.

Having said that, I agree that the price is way off, so maybe this one has to come down to earth a little more.

#12 ·
I agree that the price is way off, so maybe this one has to come down to earth a little more.
wilson1010,

Wasn't that the point of my original message? lol.. Your just lucky when you asked if I was "nuts" I didn't bug out and erase all my posts and stomp out of here not wanting to play anymore..lol.

Of course I am a little nuts..or am I just a squirrel trying to get a nut? Oh hell..I don't know..lol. =)

#13 ·
just a curious question- other than cosmetics, what makes an SEC better than an SE?

I prefer the style of coupes, I have three 2 door cars. My W126 is a sedan- 300SE.

It seems to me that the SE would be a better car than an SEC based on the fact that by design it's stiffer, and therefore should handle better. I know the BMW nerds actually like to find cars without sunroofs, claiming that they are stiffer.

Just curious. I'd love a 126 coupe, but I'm trying to figure out what makes it a 'better car' than the sedan based on something other than different seats and slightly different styling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.