Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Fuel gauge markings

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ianrandom 
#1 ·
The markings on the fuel gauge -- Is it measuring total tank capacity, or the capacity minus reserve?
In other words, does the fuel reserve light come on before the needle hits the end of the gauge, or only once it hits the end? I've been driving a 126 since 1983 and I can't believe I don't remember this!

#3 ·
The reserve light comes on at empty mark on mine, so i take this to mean that the 12.5 litre reserve capacity is indicated then, so is after the empty mark.
Good to keep them fuller than that as a general habit though when possible.

#5 ·
well that brings up a good point. does the tank drain from the bottom or the side? if from the bottom there could never be an accumulation of water and such. But if from the side, crud could build up being dammed at the orifice lip. also, if from the side, is there a bottom drain plug for occasional maintenance by draining out the crud?

#6 ·
By my knowledge, the tank is never going to be emptied entirely, even then when the engine is getting no more fuel, on the bottom of the tank still remains some fuel (aprox 2-3 liters) that is not taken out by the fuel pump. There is the place where the sediments are building up...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.