Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

W126 separate blower from blower motor?

5K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  ajrn 
#1 ·
Greetings,

My 27 year old W126 blower motor has used up its life (the thrust washer at the bottom has failed, leaving a scraping noise as it spins.)

A new motor w/o blower is $75 (autohausaz) A new motor with blower is (gasp) $250!

Examining the assembly, it appears that Bosch did not provide a set screw or screw threads to fasten the parts. In fact, the picture of the motor (Bosch 0130111001) at various web sites indicates that the shaft is splined or knurled, requiring most likely a press or puller to separate the blower and motor.

I am sure the plastic blower is fragile.

Any ideas??

Curtesy

#2 · (Edited)
Blower assemblies (complete) are a dime-a-dozen (well, maybe like $25, but common) in the junkyards. Perfectly serviceable, and easy to get. I'm off to JY land this week if you want me to get you one, or you can have fun in the yards yourself (don't know where you're located though). PM me if you want me to grab one. Shipping in the US is like $15.

#3 ·
El Rojo,

Thanks for the response.

I am in Mountain View and I have easy access to 5 PickNPull yards. I am going there today to fetch some blower assys from a bunch of 420SELs that currently reside in the yard. I am going to do some experiments on the units to see if I can safely extract the blower wheel. My experience has been that 20+ year old electric motors are not too good, esp bearings. If the blower wheel comes off clean, hooray!.. if not, cest l'vie.

BTW, my MB wheels is 85 380SE, champagne w/dark brown leather (European delivery), 300,000 miles, clean and running strong.

ciao
curtesy

#5 ·
Good on you, then... did you end up replacing the motor with a new one, or simply plugging in a JY unit?

#6 ·
I got a Pick'n'Pull unit from a 90 420. Works great. Sawed the bottom bearing carrier from my original and pressed out the shaft and discarded the motor. I now have a spare wheel!

It is for sale for $50. That and a new motor gives you a new blower for roughly $125

#7 ·
For a far less elegant, yet still rewarding and satisfying experience...

I took the snap washer off the end of the blower motor shaft, and after a few small gaskets came off with it I had about 1/4" of exposed shaft on the "other" end of the blower motor..

I put a pair of vice grips on them, and rotated the motor shaft about 180 degrees, then wrenched it back and forth about 90 at a time..

I wasn't achieving success as quickly as I wanted to (about 2 minutes) so I dunked it in some hot water, which DID speed things up substantially..

I think, had the water already been hot, I'd have spent 10 minutes removing the blower from the fan motor.. I'll put a drop of loctite green on the motor shaft, but I don't think that would be necessary. There shouldn't be much to keep the fan from spinning, other than the force of the air it's moving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.