Bumper Chrome Removal - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2010, 04:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Vehicle: 1991 S Class (W126) 300 SEL - 15W-40 Valvoline Max Life Diesel Oil, Mann Filt. Zerex G-05 Coolant,
Bumper Chrome Removal

Hi all,

It would be great if someone could explain how to remove the chrome pieces from a US spec front bumper. I am removing bolts (probably unnecessairly), but the chrome isn't coming loose.

The rear was easy - the fronts - I need your help. Many thanks!
MERCS&MOPARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 1990 560 SEL
The process for the front and rear bumpers is essentially the same. Remove the bumper (you knew that), then I think you need to remove about twenty clips on the inside of the bumper, each with I think an 8mm bolt/screw. If that's not right, you need to remove the metal/foam piece that the big mounts are set into first. Either way, getting all the chrome off is not hard, just tedious.
1990 560 SEL, 190K. Smoke silver (702) on Cream beieg leather (265). Gen 2 euro bumpers, euro headlights/turns, W140 glass moonroof, orthopedic seats, Nakamichi CD400/MBQuart 4.125 ONYX amp w/ Polk db650 rears, db1000 fronts, rear "dummy" lights activated as brake lights, 35% bronze tints.
1983 300SD, 106K. Orient Red (501) on Java MB tex (154). SOLD (and I miss ol' Hans...)
ElRojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: 1991 S Class (W126) 300 SEL - 15W-40 Valvoline Max Life Diesel Oil, Mann Filt. Zerex G-05 Coolant,
Ok - then I'll do the following for the front.

1) Remove the 4 bolts on each absorber (remove the absorber)
2) Remove all of the bolts that run along the top underside of the ceramic mount and the chrome piece (14 or so)
3) Remove the two side bolts

So basically I am going to undo every screw and see where that leaves me.

I also notice retaining clips that come through the ceramic mount. Looks like you can just squeeze those and poke them back through the hole.

BTW - my bolts are a combo of 10MM and 11MM

I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6, bought 07/08 with 50k original miles.
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERCS&MOPARS View Post
Ok - then I'll do the following for the front.

1) Remove the 4 bolts on each absorber (remove the absorber)
2) Remove all of the bolts that run along the top underside of the ceramic mount and the chrome piece (14 or so)
3) Remove the two side bolts

So basically I am going to undo every screw and see where that leaves me.

I also notice retaining clips that come through the ceramic mount. Looks like you can just squeeze those and poke them back through the hole.

BTW - my bolts are a combo of 10MM and 11MM

I'll let you know how it turns out.
If you are still looking for specific information, the topic has been discussed before in the forum archives multiple threads.
Please take the time to read the 'Welcome ....' announcement / tutorial on top.
Cheers
Teutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Hi all,

OK I have removed or loosened every bolt I can find, and nothing is coming apart on this front bumper. I have searched and searched for a "how to" on this forum but can find anything - please help!

Once again - I'm just trying to get the chrome off to replace it with a better looking piece.

Please help and thank you!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 10:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Hi all - just an update here that I finally got the front bumper taken apart. There are four mounts for the bumper. Behind the outer most two mounts is a single retaining bolt that holds the bumper chrome on to the ceramic support.

These two bolts are basically hidden unless you remove the outer mounts. Once that was done - its was all good. FYI for anyone looking to do the same.

Cheers
Old 05-06-2010, 11:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 1990 560 SEL
I knew it wasn't some cryptic thing-- I guess I'd forgotten about the mounting bolts. I truly don't recall mine being hidden though...but then again it was a while ago.

Glad all is well and you got it figured out!!
ElRojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 1990 560 SEL, 1991 560 SEC Euro 75k
This job appears easy on the surface (chrome replacement) but it can quickly turn into a much bigger job. I am in the process of removing the chrome piece off the old bumper and install a new one (sourced from Mclare) and virtually ALL of the mounting screws are rusted and have deteriorated heads. Put PB blaster on them and started to remove them. First two snapped right off and a lot of the others have corroded heads to the point you can't get a wrench on them. Damn, I thought this was going to be a one hour job!

I sure hope the little mounting clips that fit inside the chrome and screws are still available from the dealer 'cause mine are completely shot.

Has anyone had this issue and if so, where did you get the mounting screws and clips?

Last edited by graftdesign; 05-21-2011 at 09:00 AM.
graftdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 12:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Date registered: Jul 2008
Lifetime Premium Member
Are we talking about Euro or US type bumpers in this thread? Doesnt sound like mine, no ceramic mounts or absorbers on mine.
Graftdesign, those little clips, last time i checked they were rather expensive i'm afraid. They can be really annoying cant they. Last time i took chrome off i soaked the clips for a week before trying, and some still broke.

Daily transport 9spd Giant DH Comp downhill bike
ianrandom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 1990 560 SEL, 1991 560 SEC Euro 75k
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrandom View Post
Are we talking about Euro or US type bumpers in this thread? Doesnt sound like mine, no ceramic mounts or absorbers on mine.
Graftdesign, those little clips, last time i checked they were rather expensive i'm afraid. They can be really annoying cant they. Last time i took chrome off i soaked the clips for a week before trying, and some still broke.

I have a US bumper, but I would image the Euro is similar.

Actually every single bolt broke off and I still don't have the chrome off. I have to cut off the last 4 bolts holding the side brackets so I can get at the 2 hidden screws behind the bracket. I didn't have the proper tools for that so I am going to resume later.

I was planning on getting several things done today and didn't get to finish one as this has turned into a major PITA.

Next w126 I get is coming from a no snow, no rust climate!
graftdesign is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class