BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Apr 2003
Vehicle: 1990 Mercedes 560SEL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Car hit a big pothole and now have a problem

After this big snowmageddon, all over Baltimore and Maryland, we have numerous of these booby traps called potholes. The city nor the state seems to care about fixing these traps. Probably they want the mechanics to get some business. Till now I have been successfully evading these a**holes. But last week, while driving on I-95 at 60 mi/h on the right most lane, I hit one really hard. It came up unaware on me in the night. After I hit it, the steering went into a big vibration, and I had to hold the steering wheel very tightly. If I had not held the steering wheel so strongly, then car would have either zig-zagged liked a snake or would have hit the median. A major accident was averted. Simultaneously during this time I head a rattling noise from the driver's side of the car. I pulled over, I thought the steering components had been broken. I spent a few minutes on the shoulder and overcame the shock. Then I drove the car slowly, along the shoulder. Did not see any difference. Increased the speed and went into the highway. The car seemed to be doing fine. Later when I was negotiating a big curve on the highway at 65 mi/h, the rattling noise came up. The steering started to vibrate in my hand. If I am driving on a straight line or negotiating a curve below 60 mi/h I do not hear the noise nor feel any vibrations. Only happens at high speeds and while going along a curve. At low speeds within the city, I notice nothing, except when I drive over rough roads. I can hear this noise as the car hits some bumps or small potholes.

As all of you know, just recently I got ripped off a fortune on the steering pump. I still haven't got over this financial burden. Now I have this new problem. I am not sure whether it is the front shocks or the bushings, etc. or the steering itself. Any one had any such experience before? Please let me know where I should start looking into. So far the steering has not failed. I don't want it to fail when I am driving 60 mi/h. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 02:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: too many
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I suggest you jack up the car, pull the wheel on the side you are talking about, and have a look. Better yet, jack up both sides and take off both wheels and compare. Does anything look bent? This happened here in my area to Curtis and when he got his car to my house, lots of parts were twisted/bent up. Doesn't sound quite so bad in your case, maybe you just messed up the alignment, or bent a rim, or unbalanced a tire, but I'd still look around and see. Is the noise coming from the front or rear?

Markus

--------------------
current collection:

1986 300SEL euro (being restored)
1990 300SEL (parts car donating interior to 86 euro)
1995 Ford Taurus (blue - running again with used replacement tranny)
1995 Ford Taurus (white - rusty low mileage bomber, 16 yr old son's car soon)
1995 Ford Taurus (green - parts car)
1995 Ford F150
1986 Bluebird PT40 (motorhome)
2011 Hyundai Sonata Turbo (wife's)
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (for sale)
2007 Honda VTX 1800
#3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 02:57 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Markus, the noise is coming from the front, driver's side. No noise from the rear. Thanks, I will jack up the car this weekend and look for the things that you had described.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: '87 570SEC (FrankenBenz) '87 560SEL (Lisa), '87 560SEC (Bling)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramesh View Post
Markus, the noise is coming from the front, driver's side. No noise from the rear. Thanks, I will jack up the car this weekend and look for the things that you had described.
Where are you in Baltimore? I'm at a hotel about 4 miles from BWI and *might* not be doing much this weekend. I could look at the car.

Mike
In COLD Bawmer area, where it's going to snow AGAIN. @#$%^&*

Markus - was thinking about driving up to see you this weekend but it looks like way too much of that white crap is going to impede any northern progress.

Blasphemous Mike
US '87 560SEC with Euro headlights, clear markers, H&Rs, 18x8.5, ATE slotted rotors with semi-metallics, BergWerks FGS, 3.07 Limited Slip.
In progress - FrankenBenz SEC: GM LS6 5.7L engine with custom 4L60E 4-spd overdrive transmission, GM rack and pinion.
One of my goals with the FrankenBenz is to scare women and children, and to have Lexus drivers spill their latte.

Last edited by mramay; 02-24-2010 at 05:53 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 05:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mramay View Post
Markus - was thinking about driving up to see you this weekend but it looks like way too much of that white crap is going to impede any northern progress.
Nah, supposed to be done Friday. Go see Ramesh Sat, then come up my way Sun and hop in the hot tub and warm up!

Markus

--------------------
current collection:

1995 Ford F150
2007 Honda VTX 1800
#6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: '87 570SEC (FrankenBenz) '87 560SEL (Lisa), '87 560SEC (Bling)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusfmeyer View Post
Nah, supposed to be done Friday. Go see Ramesh Sat, then come up my way Sun and hop in the hot tub and warm up!
Wow - how can I refuse that!!?

Blasphemous Mike
US '87 560SEC with Euro headlights, clear markers, H&Rs, 18x8.5, ATE slotted rotors with semi-metallics, BergWerks FGS, 3.07 Limited Slip.
In progress - FrankenBenz SEC: GM LS6 5.7L engine with custom 4L60E 4-spd overdrive transmission, GM rack and pinion.
One of my goals with the FrankenBenz is to scare women and children, and to have Lexus drivers spill their latte.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 07:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Easy for me to say sitting here in my living room waiting for that white stuff to start coming down....again!

Markus

--------------------
current collection:

1995 Ford F150
2007 Honda VTX 1800
#8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 12:23 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mramay View Post
Where are you in Baltimore? I'm at a hotel about 4 miles from BWI and *might* not be doing much this weekend. I could look at the car.

Mike
In COLD Bawmer area, where it's going to snow AGAIN. @#$%^&*

I am in Charles Village. Let me know which Hotel you are in. I may be able to come up. I have some things to do on Saturday from 2:00 to 5:00 pm. Other than that I am pretty much free. Saturday morning or Sunday afternoon will be a great time.
#9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 01:47 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I think you got a loose steering column or the knuckle came undone.
Ramesh, Mike, you two call me when you are together this Saturday, I will swing by with tools or maybe we all meet up at my house.
#10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 05:40 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Hi Andrew, thank you very much. Let me see how Mike's schedule is. I have a trapeze class on Saturday afternoon, that I have already pre-paid for. They won't refund me, if I miss a class. And I have missed a few classes! So I don't want to miss that class. Other than that, I am free at other times this weekend.

It looks like a loose steering column. I read the Steering section of the CD and found that the steering play is a little too much. Who knows, you guys will know exactly where to look and spot the trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.