Has anyone replace the AC condenser hose? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 10:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 1989 560SEC
Premium Member
Has anyone replace the AC condenser hose?

I searched the forum for a DIY posting regarding "Changing the AC condenser hose" but came up with nothing. The reason that I am asking is that I know that my AC system had a slow leak and it appeared to be coming from the lower condenser hose. I have been able to run the AC for the past few months but now only warm air blows because all of the refrigerant has completely bled out. I have looked under that at the hose assembly and it appears to be a pretty straight forward removal. I just don't know if special tools are required or if the system is under pressure. Anyway, if anyone has changed this hose and can point me to DIY instructions it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Mike (aka Trooper6)
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2009, 06:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2005
Vehicle: '87 570SEC (FrankenBenz) '87 560SEL (Lisa), '87 560SEC (Bling)
I changed mine when it sprung a leak. I had a used one that fit just fine. IIRC, MB wants a small fortune for a new one. If my used one starts leaking, I'm going to a hydraulic hose shop and have them install new hoses using the fittings off the old one.

Couple of things.
Nothing special about the fittings - large wrench and they come right apart but each one has an o-ring in it.
Once my system was depressurized (due to the leak), I used a box of green Viton o-rings I had bought at Autozone ($25) to replace every o-ring in the AC hoses in the engine compartment - all of them!! I used some silicone grease to lubricate the o-rings so they went back together without damage, an important step. Also, I found that it's not critical to put the exact size o-ring back on the fitting.
I removed my AC compressor and put four new o-rings under the connection block where the lines attach and two new o-rings for that line connection.
Here's the fun part - I recharged the system with a butane/propane mix and it now cools really well.

Have fun!!
Mike
One of my goals with the FrankenBenz is to scare women and children, and to have Lexus drivers spill their latte.
mramay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2009
Good timing... I just did this yesterday and made a thread on peachparts about it. Here's the content....

So I noticed about a year ago that I had a rust problem in the driver's side footwell of my 1984 300SD, when I pulled up my carpet and found this:

Needless to say, I did not want to let that stand. Unfortunately it took me a while to get around to it, but it didn't end up being as bad as I thought it would. In the meantime the attachment point to my accelerator pedal rusted through, but I doubt I would have been able to save that even if I'd fixed it immediately. For the last month or so i've been rolling just pressing the bar that the accelerator pedal used to attach to, I'll fix that at some point.

Anyhow, this was my strategy for fixing this-

1) Remove the pavement insulation/noise dampener that's currently in the footwell using a heat gun

2) Grind away the rust with my rotary tool (use Proxxon, not Dremel!)

3) Use some POR metal ready (I think this stuff is just phosphoric acid)

4) Paint it with POR-15

5) put down some new butyl rubber based sound dampener instead of pavement (from second skin audio, they call it 'damplifier' )

6) peace of mind!

It worked pretty well, and the rust wasn't nearly as bad as I had feared! I'm actually posting this while I'm waiting for the POR-15 to dry, by 10:30pm it will have been 4 hours, then I'm going to put on the butyl rubber.

Here are the pics!!

Here's after I pulled up as much pavement as I could with my hands, without using the heat gun-

Now putting up some foil so I don't inadvertently melt the pavement I don't want to mess with...

After most of it has been removed. Initially the pavement is composed of pieces the size of little pebbles. Using the heat gun melts them together into something that pulls off much more easily.
It stinks though, if I had to do it again though, I'd wear a mask while doing this part. I blew my nose after I was done, and it was pitch black!!! I bet it's like I just smoked two packs of cigarettes...

Ready to start grinding...

Partially done, my fantastic Proxxon rotary tool in the foreground. WAY tougher than dremel, it has a regulated motor (maintains speed under load), and uses a steel collet w/ chuck key.

Ready for painting. In the end, the rust was much less severe than I had anticipated. There's a divot in the floor pan, and before I had removed the asphalt I had thought it might have been a partially developed rust hole. Nothing but some surface rust, I was happy to be wrong!

Painted!!! Now I'm going to go back outside and see if it's dry...

I'm reasonably certain the A/C evaporator drain was the source of the water that caused this, as the one in there was totally useless. I've replaced it, and I strongly recommend that W126 owners at least have a look at theirs. It's pretty easy to check, you just need to pull the carpeted panel on the left away from the center console and it's right there.

Finished! Ended up using two layers of the butyl rubber stuff to match the thickness of the existing pavement insulation that I didn't cut away. Now I just need to fix the attachment point so I have a pedal...

Floor pan rust repair pics, or why to replace your A/C evap drain - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

1984 300SD, 364,XXX miles
BrainLair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
I searched the forum for a DIY posting regarding "Changing the AC condenser hose" but came up with nothing. The reason that I am asking is that I know that my AC system had a slow leak and it appeared to be coming from the lower condenser hose. I have been able to run the AC for the past few months but now only warm air blows because all of the refrigerant has completely bled out. I have looked under that at the hose assembly and it appears to be a pretty straight forward removal. I just don't know if special tools are required or if the system is under pressure. Anyway, if anyone has changed this hose and can point me to DIY instructions it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Mike (aka Trooper6)

Ah, but I didn't read your post carefully. I thought you were talking about the a/c evaporator drain, and got excited and put up all my pictures . I've never dealt with the actual refrigerant. But this is worth checking too!
BrainLair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainLair View Post
Ah, but I didn't read your post carefully. I thought you were talking about the a/c evaporator drain, and got excited and put up all my pictures . I've never dealt with the actual refrigerant. But this is worth checking too!

Still a kick arse post!

When I changed out the low hose on the SD it had been on so long that it had corroded to the fitting going to the evaporator. I had to carefully hacksaw the large screw fitting on the hoe near the fuse box and split the nut off to remove the hose
Old 11-30-2009, 09:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 1989 560SEC
Premium Member
BrianLiar,
As AA stated, "Kick Ass Post". You have only 13 posts and they all have been great!!! Looks like you and I are on the same mission i.e. lowering and A/C maintenance. Are we just trying to be cool. Pardon the bad joke but I had to do it (like my segue from A/C to cool)
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 300se, 560sel
Send a message via AIM to RakNaks
Nice post Brian! I will sure follow the same methods to fix mine!!
RakNaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

Vehicle: 1986 420SEL - 2001 BMW 325xiT - 2013 BMW M3
Premium Member
Thanks for the informative post!
foolio2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class