Can Transmission be repaired, or can it only be replaced? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2009, 03:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Apr 2003
Vehicle: 1990 Mercedes 560SEL
Can Transmission be repaired, or can it only be replaced?

Car is once again in the limelight! The transmission has been acting up. A few months ago, Drewprof while driving the car said, the transmission has to be checked. I also noticed some jerky movements, while it changed gears. Took it to a mechanic, he said every thing is fine. Now I notice that it is slipping at all speeds, in addition to a jerky movement while changing gears. I have to keep pressing hard on the gas pedal to keep the car going at 55 mph on the highway. Took it to the same mechanic and asked him. He said the transmission cannot be repaired. We have to put a rebuilt transmission there. His cost estimate is $3.5K. So he says drive the car as long as you can. Finally when it breaks down, bring it to him. He will put a rebuilt transmission. He says the current transmission will last for another 6 months to one year. I took it to another mechanic. This guy said the same thing, but in addition to it he said after the car breaks down, just dump it! Buy a new Honda!!

The current transmission is a rebuilt transmission, that another mechanic had put in there four years ago. It cost me 4.5K in parts and labor for this rebuilt transmission, four years ago. At this time, I really don't want to spend another 3.5K and put a rebuilt transmission. ( I am surprised that the price has dropped. Or may be the earlier mechanic was expensive) Rebuilt transmission every four years!! That seems to be too much.

Will changing filter and fluid have any effect? Or should I just take it to one of the transmission shops and have them repair it? There are lots of transmission shops in Baltimore, that specialize only on transmissions. But I haven't seen any Mercedes in those shops. Mostly American cars.
Ramesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2009, 05:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: Depends on the week
Any transmission can be taken apart and rebuilt. If a rebuilt transmission failed after 4 years, it seems to me like it wasn't even rebuilt.

How's the fluid level? If it's too low or too high it can cause all sorts of weird problems.
http://artisanexcite.blogspot.com/
bsmuwk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Fluid level seems to be correct. A year ago, I took it to the mechanic and asked him to change the tr fluid and filter. I thought, we had to change the fluid and filter on regular intervals. But he said it is not required.

The transmission work was done at Start Auto, York Rd. At that time my transmission completely failed and the car will not move on the first gear. So they ordered a rebuilt transmission from California and put it in there.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Lifetime Premium Member
Ramesh, check and see if the problem can be as simple as a modulator or lack of fluid in the torque converter.
Hey, what was wrong with the car now that you have it back? The lest post I read is when you had it towed to PA because it wouldn't start.
DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: '03 Ford Expedition, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG
Silver Star Transmissions - Transmissions - Mercedes-Benz, Dodge Charger, Dodge Magnum, Dodge Sprinter, Chrysler 300, Chrysler Crossfire, Jeep Cherokee, Mercedes-Benz Transmission, Sprinter Transmissions, 722.5, 722.6 2wd, 722.6 4wd, 722.650, 722.681

These guys are local to me, and normally do nationwide business. I just called them for you, and they quoted $1595 w/converter for a 1990 560 SEL. That is for the tranny only, assuming a returned core.

One of their transmissions is in my wife's '95 E320 Wagon, and has behaved perfectly for the past year, including the 2200mi trip we made from OK to AZ, NV, and UT a week after the tranny was installed. There were five of us, and on the way home we picked-up a wood burning stove in AZ, strapping the bootfull of stuff to the roof in a nylon bag to make room for the stove.

I have to believe that a shop like this has resources that smaller places can't afford. Also, all updates are included into the reman (my E320 received two MB recommended updates). I also let them know that if a firmer shift would prolong the tranny life, that that was fine with me, and they said it would (less converter slippage, so less heat).

I was charged $500 by a local indy down the street from Silver Star to install the tranny. The indy was recommended by Silver Star. My total bill was for $1800 (they gave me a discount, only charging me the wholesale price no listed on their website).

I would give them a call. I can't imagine that even with shipping and installation that your bill could be more than $3200.
Dimmuburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Lifetime Premium Member
Oh, stay away from Star Auto on York Road; it caters to rich old folks that don't care how much stuff cost.
Call Potomac German Auto and price a transmission. Most local shops in the DC/Baltimore area get used stuff from them. They have some used ones for less than $700; I just checked!
DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: Too Many
Send a message via AIM to johnhef
Ramesh I have a friend who is a tech at another dealer who rebuilds my transmissions for me- I'd take it to him at his home and have him assess the damage/work on it.

Master Certified 10 years MB tech
1980 500SE Euro
1981 500SEL Euro
1982 380SEL
1983 500SEC Euro
1983 300TD
1984 500SEC - parts car
1984 300TD Euro
1985 190E 2.3-16 Euro
1986 190E 2.3-16
1986 190E 2.3-16 Lemons
1987 300D
1999 C230K
2003 C320T-4
2003 E55
johnhef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: '87 560SEC: '86 AMG 560SEC: '87 560SEL - PAST: Heckflosse 190 & 230S
Slippage

Given your proximity to johnhef, that sure sounds like the way to go.

I had really bad slippage in the SEC, mainly from 2nd to 3rd. I happened to take it to a closer Indy I'd discovered for some minor work & had him drive it to drop me off at the nearest watering hole But, only after 1st warning him not to pull in front of oncoming traffic too fast.

When I got the car back, viola' - the slipping was gone! He later said 2 wires had been disconnected, 1 causing it to always think it was in kickdown mode, no details about the other wire, just said it looked like someone was 'screwing' with me or the PO!

He told me he also adjusted back to factory spec (bowden cable? or modulator) took it for a spin, brought it back & adjusted some more. Invoice was $120 just for the work I'd expected, but when I drove home - all I could say was WOW! Later he told me he knew I'd be happy with the results - radical understatement.

Tranny up-shifts sooner than accustomed to, and will still shift hard engaging reverse - once the car gets hot. So I realize the thing IS on it's last-legs, with no way of telling how much time he managed to buy me. But this guy sure knows how to build customer loyalty
MrBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 1984 Euro 500 SEC & 1987 190E 2.6
Just wanted to add.....it can definitely be rebuilt. A local reputable shop will do a rebuild for me for ~$1300. So IMO, 3500 is way too much.
1990 Chevy Suburban.....daily/off-road
Black Euro 500 SEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
Ramesh, check and see if the problem can be as simple as a modulator or lack of fluid in the torque converter.
Hey, what was wrong with the car now that you have it back? The lest post I read is when you had it towed to PA because it wouldn't start.
Andrew, here is what happened after the F/D replacement (I posted this at the Lambda adjustment thread):

Initially the mechanic thought, the timing chain had jumped a tooth or so. He opened up everything to look at the timing chain. It was all fine. The mechanic told me, that they found four spark plugs fouled up. One on the passenger side, I believe it is cylinder #2, and three on the driver side. He thinks, that when I was repeatedly cranking up the car, with no fuel going into the cylinders, the plugs had been fouled up. Then, when his mechanics came and removed the air lock, the car did not start up because it was not getting any spark in any of the four cylinders. This also flooded the engine. He had to put new spark plugs. He said he is not familiar with Mercedes, and did not do any lambda adjustment.

The mechanic also informed me that the valves are leaking. It is taking in some oil into the cylinder. He says this could probably cause the rough idling. He told me to take it to a good mercedes mechanic and check the valves. He was very impressed with the car, and said that the engine is in great shape for this much mileage and age of the car. He did not want to mess around with the valves.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class