Dome light not working when driver door is opened. - Page 3 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #21 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 2001 E430 Sport package; 2002 E320 4-matic Wagon
Mclare: I have read your thread, but just wonder whether pods can be reached after the passenger side air bag is removed. Would it be possible to reach and fix vacuum pods without taking apart the whole dash as you did?
spicyguy2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2009, 09:53 AM   #22 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2009
Vehicle: 1991 350 SD
Send a message via Yahoo to Sturgis_SD
Any news on if you found the problem?
Sturgis_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:11 AM   #23 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturgis_SD View Post
Any news on if you found the problem?
Do you mean the dome light or vent problem?

For the dome light, I think it is the seat belt buzzer relay that is bad. I am still waiting for part. The problem is I don't know where iis this part located exactly. From the old threads, most people said it is sitting by the cruise control amplifier, but I don't think I see anything like it when I was in there. But from one of the ebay seller, it is said that this relay is behind the instrument cluster and you can just pull it right out and replace it. I will work on it sometime this weekend, I think.

As for the vacuum pods, I haven't feel enough confident to pull out the passenger airbag yet. So, I don't really know what is the problem yet. I may try to check on it this weekend too.

Will update once I find or fix anything.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #24 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyguy2005 View Post
Do you mean the dome light or vent problem?

For the dome light, I think it is the seat belt buzzer relay that is bad. I am still waiting for part. The problem is I don't know where iis this part located exactly. From the old threads, most people said it is sitting by the cruise control amplifier, but I don't think I see anything like it when I was in there. But from one of the ebay seller, it is said that this relay is behind the instrument cluster and you can just pull it right out and replace it. I will work on it sometime this weekend, I think.

As for the vacuum pods, I haven't feel enough confident to pull out the passenger airbag yet. So, I don't really know what is the problem yet. I may try to check on it this weekend too.

Will update once I find or fix anything.

The light problem, let me know what you find because I have the same exact problem, no dome from the drivers side, changed switches, etc.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:46 PM   #25 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: '82 Euro 500SEL, '86 Euro 500SEC RUF
This is a stupid question, but did the control roller position get changed after you tried the other door and possibly you didn't notice it. There is a position in the switch at the light that will keep the light off with the door open. However it would be off with the other door open also.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:46 PM   #26 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadahar View Post
This is a stupid question, but did the control roller position get changed after you tried the other door and possibly you didn't notice it. There is a position in the switch at the light that will keep the light off with the door open. However it would be off with the other door open also.
I am not sure whether I understand what you said exactly. My car, when I opened the passenger door, the dome light will come on. But when I opened the driver door the dome light will not come on. After swapping switch with the one from other door, the problem is not solved. So, swich is OK. Ground testing resulted in no solution. I did go back and checked what Azimuthaviation asked, and found out that the buzzer is not on when the key was left in the key socket. That pretty much leads to the conclusion that the buzzer relay in bad. I am now waiting for part and will report back after I try it on.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #27 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicyguy2005 View Post
I am not sure whether I understand what you said exactly. My car, when I opened the passenger door, the dome light will come on. But when I opened the driver door the dome light will not come on. After swapping switch with the one from other door, the problem is not solved. So, swich is OK. Ground testing resulted in no solution. I did go back and checked what Azimuthaviation asked, and found out that the buzzer is not on when the key was left in the key socket. That pretty much leads to the conclusion that the buzzer relay in bad. I am now waiting for part and will report back after I try it on.
My buzzer works when the key is in and the door is opened, but the light doesn't.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:28 PM   #28 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturgis_SD View Post
My buzzer works when the key is in and the door is opened, but the light doesn't.
Then, your problem is not the same as mine. I think you should go back and try to understand what was recommended and try to do the testing again. I think you can either swap door switch with the good one from other door or you can simply remove both wires from door switch and touch each other. If light is on, then your switch is bad. If no light is on, most likely your switch is OK. Then you can put wires back to switch and then connect the brown wire, which is a ground wire, to a good ground and see whether the light will be on. If light is on, you know that your ground is a problem. Other than that I don't know anymore.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:17 AM   #29 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2009
Vehicle: 1982 380 SEL, 1976 280C (RIP) 1970 280SEL (RIP)
Remember the ground is also the ground for the parking brake switch. If you have a parking brake light you have ground on the circuit.
ct74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:45 AM   #30 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct74 View Post
Remember the ground is also the ground for the parking brake switch. If you have a parking brake light you have ground on the circuit.
The parking brake light works, the buzzer for key in lock when door is opens works, the dome light works when the passenger side doors are opened, I have swapped the switch from passenger to driver's side and that didn't help. It is both front and back doors on the driver's side that don't work. Damn gremlins anyways.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class