Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

I got the shifter surround with E/S switch...

5K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Dr.Grillz 
#1 ·
Do I need to purchase a FGS module? I did some searching on the FGS subject and found that some wiring can be rewired. Does anyone has the instructions to do this mod? BTW, my car is a 91 300SE and the shifter surround was from and 88 Euro 300SE. I followed the wiring from the donor's car (the 88) and it led through the car's body and terminated at at a plug on the side of the transmission. I could get this plug off of the transmission so I cut the wire. Do I need this plug? or better said, do I need the complete wiring?

#2 ·
I think you have a FGS module under the dash near the steering shaft by the CC module, it'll be a black module approx 3" wide, i" thick and 4" high. To find out if you have FGS already, at a light move the shift lever from D to B and back to D and this should drop the tranny into 1st gear at idle then when you move away from the light it'll shift 3 times into D.
or you should be able to drop the shifter back to 3 at the light and that should drop the tranny into 1st at idle. If it doesn't then the solenoid wire(perhaps the one you cut from the other car is severed. This happens a lot by driving off road through the weeds and such.
The wire you got if it was connected to a small round cap on the rear passenger side of the tranny about 2:00 o'clock, this IS the solenoid wire. Your car should already have this.

#3 ·
Chadahar,
Yes, my car will start in first if I did what you just said about moving the shifter to "3" and back to "D". So now how do I install this E/S switch? You said that my tranny has the round plug on its driver's side. Do I just tap the wire coming out of the E/S switch to it? This plug coming out of my tranny should go somewhere, perhaps to the FGS module under the dash? Do I follow it and tap it there? The E/S switch just have a simple 2 wires coming out so I should be an easy mod I hope. Please help.

#4 ·
An '88 shifter console would be thinner than a 1989+ model for one.

The E/S(economy/standard) switch I believe is a vacuum controlled modulator that changed the transmission's shift patterns. I don't believe it caused 1st gear start.

#5 · (Edited)
I have never heard the Vacuum Modulator assisted E/S switch. It is a two pole on off switch as far as I know. I do know that in the "S" position the car operates from first gear all the time.

There are ways to wire a FGS located in the Archives. I have not done the wiring to a switch. If I were to do that I would use the Child lock switch. Read up on the FGS in the archives.

I do know that the Shift pattern bezel from the E/S shifter will fit on your shifter console body. They just clip on. Teutone changed one out only to find that the E/S pattern was UNDER the normal shift pattern bezel. No switch but the pattern and cutout was there.

#8 ·
I have never heard the Vacuum Modulator assisted E/S switch. It is a two pole on off switch as far as I know. I do know that in the "S" position the car operates from first gear all the time.
You are right. The switch is a two pole on/off switch. There are no vacuum to be found. I will look up the wiring in the archive. I guess the Euro version just have this switch where as our NA iteration we have to be creative and use the two pole on/off in the child window lock out.
Thanks,

#7 ·
The 'E' and 'S' settings both start out in second gear, but the manual says if you accelerate briskly the car will set off in first if you have selected 'S'. Even under full throttle in 'E' it will start off in second, although kickdown over-rides all apparently.
Its mainly meant to change the shift points to keep engine revs lower if you're in 'E'.

#12 ·
If I had the E/S shifter pattern cover and the E/S/ switch I'd use that switch and wire per the DIY Greg put up. I don't have that option as my Gen I Euro never came with the E/S switch, though it did come with the FGS module and works as it should. Basically the switch makes it Full time(not good on ice or wet roads'''Eh? Cascade?) or part time FGS.
FGS can be wired to be Full time only but I would not recommend that approach per above wet and icy road comment.
I will wire mine to use the Child safety switch in the Drivers side window switches(between front and rear). I have no kids and by golly none have ridden in the rear seat since I got the car almost a year ago. So I can use that switch without a hint of remorse.......because it NEVER gets used.

#13 ·
'S' mode does not enable first gear start every time (in stock Euro cars)

Here's what an expert had to say...

This picture courtesy 'Kalifornia'

Talbir also had this to say:

"You can fit the module to the M103, but all that will happen is you will pull away in 2nd and immediately kick down to 1st.

The valve body mod will give idling and pull away in 1st."

#14 ·
The PO had changed the neutral safety switch, and the FGS didn't work.
The correct neutral safety switch (more prongs) apparently activates a tranny solenoid, and all is well.
When I asked Jerry (RIP) to install and wire up the FGS module, he discovered it already there.

#16 ·
Guys... apology for bringing this topic up, but anyone have the part number for the "E/S" switch? I believe it had a 201 part number.

#18 ·
Greg... EXCELLENT pic and info. You don't happen to also have the part number for the black switch which you slide from E to S?:thumbsup:

#19 ·
Sorry Doc, it looks as if the part you actually move to switch it from e to s is part of a kit combined with the electrical black/white 201 part number as neither of the black plastic "switch" parts have part numbers on them.

I would send you this but it is the only part I am missing off the 300SE shifter box assembly. The part in the picture I took off my car to check for numbers.

Attachments

#21 ·
Thanks Greg for the info... much appreciated:thumbsup: I'll contact the local dealership when I get back from my trip and place an order. I'll report back if the switch came in as a kit or if it had to be ordered separately.

:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.