just bought 560sec. couple problems - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 10:10 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 1988 560 SEC. 1990 560 SEC. 1990 560 SEC. 1990 300 TE. 1995 S320.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
just bought 560sec. couple problems

hi. i just bought me a 1988 560sec all black everything. pretty nice car. will post pics very soon.
however, it does not start. when i tried to start it, it would crank and seem like it would sometimes want to start, but for the most part just continuous turning over.
any ideas what it could be. I first thought that it just needed a tune up. now i'm thinking it might be a little more complicated. i can hear the fuel pump working. the owner (teammate of mine a couple years back in high school) said that he took it to a shop and they said control unit problem.
there is also a disconnected wire that is supposed (i guess) to go into this thing with a couple plugs going into it by the driver side headlight. I don't know if this actually has anything to do with it.
he does not know much about cars so i talked him down to a good deal. paid only 1100 for it. clean black interior. all black paint. not two-tone.
just needs to be lowered and have amg monoblock rims put on. then i will be able to sleep at night. very excited about this car if you can't tell. just need to get it started. being 19 years old, this car will definately fit me well.

the driver side door lock does not open when the key is turned. any ideas about that?????
the same door does not open from the inside as well. anybody else have this problem??

i will have pictures to make everything easier tommorow.

any help is appreciated thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 11:18 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2008
Vehicle: 91 560SEC AMG w/300HP Custom Built Motor; 90 560SEL Stock
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to mclare Send a message via Skype™ to mclare
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyBenz View Post
hi. i just bought me a 1988 560sec all black everything. pretty nice car. will post pics very soon.
Post the pics, we wanna see...

Quote:
however, it does not start. when i tried to start it, it would crank and seem like it would sometimes want to start, but for the most part just continuous turning over.
First, take out plug #1 and check for spark.

Second, are you sure the pumps are on? When you turn the key on but not start it, do you hear the fuel pumps in the rear humming? Or right after you turn over the engine? If you do not hear humming, the relay may be bad. Take the relay out and jumper pins 7 & 8 and the pumps should start. I have this as an intermittent problem in my SEC and I took the relay out and made a emergency jumper switch where I can turn my pumps on and off manually.

Or, the pumps could be bad. Relay new from MB $80. Pumps a few hun or $5 for the relay at the JY and 25 for the pumps. I can show you how to make one out of parts from RS for $5.00.

Quote:
there is also a disconnected wire that is supposed (i guess) to go into this thing with a couple plugs going into it by the driver side headlight. I don't know if this actually has anything to do with it.
That is the X11 Diagnostic socket that goes directly to the CIS-E control unit and lets you adjust the Lamda settings as well and troubleshoot engine problems. Along with the S80 Pushbutton diagnostic socket by the battery, you troubleshoot various systems.

Quote:
just needs to be lowered and have amg monoblock rims put on. then i will be able to sleep at night. very excited about this car if you can't tell. just need to get it started. being 19 years old, this car will definately fit me well.
Yeah, you and me both. I just lowered my car with a complete REAL AMG Suspension system and I dropped it about 2". I have AMG E-55 Style III's and will be acquiring a set of OZ3's soon myself. Congrats on the purchase and if you PM me your email, I will point you to something cool.

Quote:
the driver side door lock does not open when the key is turned. any ideas about that?????
the same door does not open from the inside as well. anybody else have this problem??

The Front the outside is probably a bad "Element". You cannot simply change door handles and have a locksmith re-key it. It is a complex Electro-Mechanical device. I have had both of my coupe door handles apart down to the cylinder level. I have taken out the microswitch and swapped it only to find out it was good and not the problem. The problem was the "Element" Get one from a JY or I think I have spares. It could be the microswitch. See what happens when you turn the key is that there is a microswitch that changes the polarity to the pump in the trunk. That signal the pump to fire up in the appropriate direction (pressure/vacuum) to open or close the "elements" The "Elements" are vacuum "pods" that will move an actuator rod in either direction to move the lock mechanism.

The Element is far easier to check and replace. Three screws I think once you have the panel off. But there's the adventure, taking off a MB door panel. Took me all day the first time. I can do it in 8 minutes now. Let me know if you need the directions as I posted them a while ago.

Here is my VLOG As you can see I have done a few upgrades.

Current Stable:
91-560 SEC AMG - Coupe - 199/261 - 300 HP Custom Built Motor - Highly Modified Coupe
90-560 SEL - Sedan - 199/261 - Stock

#3 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 11:20 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Oh, BTW - WELCOME TO THE SEC CLUB.....

Current Stable:
91-560 SEC AMG - Coupe - 199/261 - 300 HP Custom Built Motor - Highly Modified Coupe

#4 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 12:16 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: 1988 560 SEC. 1990 560 SEC. 1990 560 SEC. 1990 300 TE. 1995 S320.
(Thread Starter)
THANKS!!!! !

THANK YOU for your help.
I just got done reading it all and will do the testing on the benz tommorow morning. Too late and dark now to be messing with it.
And I have seen pictures of your car on here before. Believe it or not I have a couple of the pics saved on my computer so that I have sort of a "guideline" of what I want my car to look like. Your car is beautiful my man!
Will get back to you tommorow for an update plus pictures.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 03:52 AM
BenzWorld Elite

High praise... Much thanks ! ! ! Let me know if I can be of any help...

Current Stable:

#6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 05:47 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle: 1990 560 SEL, 1991 560 SEC Euro 75k
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think Mclare's car is a standard we all aspire too. One of the nicest SEC's out there!

1990 560 SEL, 1991 560 SEC Euro, Japanese Import
Birmingham, MI
#7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 06:23 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: '82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
The wire loose from the box (EZL) near the head light just might be the TDC wire and it will not run if disconnected. The ezl needs all the wires connected to work. If the wire is disconnected you will have no spark. Sounds like an EZL/tdc sensor problem. (ignition control).

"I know you think you understand what you thought you heard me say, but what you thought you heard me say is not necessarily what I meant!"
#8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 07:12 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 1988 Mercedes Benz 420SEL 258,000 miles (SOLD) 1991 300se 168,000 miles, ASR 1999 GMC Yukon 192,000
Ilovemybenz-good luck with the car!

man Chadahar your on a role with recommending (ezl) as a problem area, its seeming to be a very common problem

]"I'm not getting into that Nazi sled." [/B]
#9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 08:31 AM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6, bought 07/08 with 50k original miles.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
any ideas what it could be. I first thought that it just needed a tune up. now i'm thinking it might be a little more complicated. i can hear the fuel pump working. the owner (teammate of mine a couple years back in high school) said that he took it to a shop and they said control unit problem.
he does not know much about cars so i talked him down to a good deal. paid only 1100 for it. clean black interior. all black paint. not two-tone.

Welcome to the forum.
Please complete your profile with the car mod and location, by clicking 'User CP' on the top tool bar, to make it easier for members to offer advice.

There are some differences between the Euro grey import, and the US spec cars.

The forum archive has a wealth of information available at your finger tips.
Please make sure to carefully read the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top.
It will show how to run a forum search (needs words of more than 3 letters), etc., and save valuable time.

Also, the service manual sticky lists all the pdf files. If you post with the request for a specific file(s), someone will post it for you.
Cheers
#10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 09:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: '82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Been there and done that! A few times on my cars. The hint was the loose wire from that thing with the wires by the headlight. If the TDC Sensor wire is removed or the sensor is bad...no signal for TDC = no spark = no run. Just a WAG! Hard to know for sure with out pictures of what op is talking about.

"I know you think you understand what you thought you heard me say, but what you thought you heard me say is not necessarily what I meant!"

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class