Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

W126 Question from a new owner

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  AzimuthAviation 
#1 ·
Howdy Yall.

I had to move my question as I was told I have a 126 and not a 124, New Benz guy so please bear with.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday I purchased my first benz, a 1989 300SE.

She has 220,000 Miles and runs like a dream. I drove well over 100 miles to get her home and she purred like a kitten the whole time, shifting smoothly and getting by my calculations damn near 21 miles per gallon through a combination of start/stop traffic and highway travel. The Becker Tape Deck works, the electronics are just fine, she handles perfect and only has a few minor cosmetic blemishes to show. The Maintenance records stop in 1995 with full service from 1989 to 1995 and I need to start that maintenance regimen back up again before anything terrible truly happens.

SO, benz petrol heads - what would you suggest looking into and replacing? Also, how much might it cost in the hands of a competent mechanic? How good is the timing belt for? Is it the same trouble to get in as a Diesel's Timing Chain?

Note - I have zero warning lights and everything feels just fine.

Secondary Questions - The Speedometer reads up to 160 Miles Per hour. I'd never be brave enough to try, but will the 3.0 Liter Inline Six REALLY get her up there? Stories are a bonus.

-Tex-

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Tex!

Yep, not a w124 by any means. You've got a w126.024 :)

Welcome to the w126 and the forum! You'll learn a lot about your car and how to keep it running and operating the way it should. A lot of this you can do yourself and help keep the cost down, or at least learn if your shop is looking towards your interest or their own. I'll let the inline six gas guys comment about specifics for your engine. Attached is the routine maintenance schedule sheets per MB. There are CD roms and paper manuals for these cars that will help you keep the car up to par. If you think you like the car now, tell us what you think of her in six months ;)

AA

Attachments

#3 ·
Congrats. Circle of life. I just sold my 300se yesterday. At 200k miles you should consider replacing the timing chain. Particularly if there isn't a good history of oil changes. It's not so much the chain, but the plastic chain guides that fail. I would suggest replacing the transmission fluid at minimum. I also don't believe the M103 in that car will have enough juice to get you close to 160. I never drove mine above 100. That's plenty fast in a 20 year old car. Good luck with it.

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback

I've made a short list of maintenance to do's, and I thought I would share them.

1 - Get rid of my effing Bronco
2 - Timing Chain/Guides/stuff
3 - Transmission fluid/filter
4 - Fuel Filter

The question is, for the benz gurus, is how much would the above likely cost?

Also, how much do those little badges for mileage run? I contacted my local benz dealer and they said if I scheduled an appointment I could bring it in to get verified and get my badge but I also wanted to know if they -are- the people to see for maintenance and free estimates?

Also, does ANYBODY know a reputable benz Repair place within 100 miles of Colorado Springs?

#9 ·
Colorado Springs Mercedes Indie

Also, does ANYBODY know a reputable benz Repair place within 100 miles of Colorado Springs?
Best shop in Colorado Springs was/is:

Salim's Silver Star Automobile Service,Inc
1034 S. Tejon
Colorado Springs, CO 80963
(719) 475-7070

I used them for my 500 SEC from 1999-2003 for many repairs when I lived there. Had them rebuild my front end, steering gearbox, steering pump, changed out driver's door lock, repaired all window regulators, prepped car for smog,etc.....they do it all and know their stuff on w126's.

I did use Phil Long Mercedes (dealer) where I purchased my SEC for a complete top end rebuild, chain and guides, etc. but only used them because they split the cost due to me buying the car from them(goodwill gesture on their part). Very expensive and takes forever since they get all their genuine parts from Denver.

Salim's is still getting very good reviews over on the MBCA forums as recent as May of this year so I guess they are still doing good work.

Good luck with your new ride and yes, get rid of the friggin Bronco. You'll like your w126 so much more!

Greg

#5 ·
Hey Tex-

Welcome and congrats on your purchase. You'll have a lifetime of pleasure driving a w126!

A couple of items I'd recommend to add to your list...

Change ALL fluids & filters-- Oil, fuel, power steering, tranny, differential, coolant. Use the proper coolant too-- not the green stuff. I think it's G-05, or you can get the MB stuff if you want to pay ex$tra. The reason for doing this now is that you'll have a good baseline to restart that maintenance regimen with.

Replace the belts. Same reason as above.

Replace all of the fuses with new coppers. The old aluminum ones are the source of many electrical gremlins.

Get new plugs/wires/rotor/cap-- if it's running great right now, you can put this off a while

The parts for the timing chain, guides and tensioner runs to a couple hundred or so I think (I have a V8, so it's a bit more). I recall that it's recommended to get a genuine MB tensioner, but others might chime in here on that. Labor by an independent shop is probably going to at least double that-- although I think that you can DIY relatively easily.

Here's a good starter for getting parts...

Auto Parts at AutohausAZ - OEM Auto Parts - Discount Replacement Parts, Resources and Car Care Tips

BMA Auto Parts | Bumper to Bumper since 1978 | Oem auto parts, vw parts, sachs boge, mercedes benz parts, honda auto parts, saab parts

The Number One Source for You and Your Older Mercedes, We sell Solutions, not just parts! | MercedesSource.com

MercedesShop FastLane

Mercedes Benz Parts, Mercedes Parts, Accessories

Blue Ridge MB and AMG East » Parts for Sale (New Items!)

Once you've got the basics down, then you can go for the upgrades-- primary is to replace the USDOT headlights with euros. Much better light pattern and brightness, and it looks better too!

Best of luck with the decisions ahead!

Dave

#6 ·
Congrats and I agree with Roy and Dave....

#7 ·
Congrats,
A few more tips: When you replace the spark plugs, do not by platinum. These cars run better with the original non-resistor copper plugs. Your dealer should have them. As mentioned above use the MB coolant + I bottle of Red Line Water Wetter. Engine oil in Texas 15W40 year around should be OK. I use Shell Rotella or Chevron Delo from Costco, others use Synthetic. Check your brake pads. IN TX you are going to need A/C. The consensus here is the R12 works better.

Enjoy,
Guido

#8 ·
Read through the DIY FAQ at the top of the forum. I would also suggest a front end inspection looking for broken ball joint boots. Be prepared the repair the front end and rent or borrow the proper spring compresser.

The 300SE/SEL have a high rear axle ratio, so at 60 mph the engine is turning around 3000 rpm. Don't worry, these are strong engines and are made to do this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.