Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

I think I'm done...

527 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  slandsecdriver 
#1 ·
So the past few weeks I've gotten a bunch of new problems to add to my already very long and expensive list, and I'm starting to think that I don't want to put any more money into a car I am not COMPLETELY happy with.

I love my w126, I really do, and given how long I've had it, I'm not sure I could ever part with it, but its not worth restoring right now.

All that being said, what I really want is a dark blue SEL with tan interior (perhaps velour), and I want it in decent enough shape so I can put my money to euro parts and a sound system and whathaveyou, not into seats and paint. Not that it matters now, but I was thinking another 420, but what about a 500 or 560?

Sorry to sound shallow, "neglecting" my car because of its colour combo and all.

The catch to it all, I don't have the money for a new car right now. Alas, I'll still try and stick round here, I've still got my 107, but I love it with the w126ers. I will of course still have my w126, it just wont be pretty anytime soon (perhaps one day, should I come across the money).

Anywho, I suppose this is somewhat of a goodbye, but like I said, I'll still be here. Oh yea, and I also still want to get some photos of your cars.

See less See more
#3 ·
Here is what you have.

You know, having owned one of them for about 15 years, I will tell you this:
(and others I know concur, and even mechanics)

For these cars, they often run a LONG time and need nothing, and then the repairs seem to come in WAVES.

Sometimes even a Tsunami....

But in the end, you don't have an ordinary car that is ready for the junkyard, if you took care of the car.

What you have is a car that cost $50,000 to $85,000 back when new, the cost of a HOUSE in a rotten neighborhood in some cities; a car built by the best German engineers following a tradition of "The Best or Nothing at All", the company motto, for the top of the line Mercedes Benz, built with fanatical German attention to detail, and even designed to be easy to work on, by mechanics,

parts readily available forever, on them, free MB roadside, for any owner, high mileage badges as proof that they WERE meant to go intergalactic distances, unbelievable comfort, legendary durability, longevity, and undeniable prestige from when a Mercedes Benz really meant the best you could get.

And finally: The safest car in the world when new, and could likely save your life in the mother of all accidents, even today. That attribute is utterly PRICELESS.

If you can get yourself a trusted, knowledgeable mechanic, the price to run dollar per mile is not tragic.

Bottom line: Keep it.

#5 ·
Aw. But then if you really dont like the colour and the seats, its cheaper to find a W126 in the colours you like than change them, depending on your list of problems i guess. is the colour that bad? It does make quite a big difference, but i've never seen a really bad colour on a 126, just ones i like less.
On the other hand theres that 'better the devil you know' thing, which for me counts for a lot!

#7 · (Edited)
cascade and others above have already said, just want to add two more cents - it's a pride to own a 126. i have rented all kind of cars due to my job nature, i can tell ya, none of them, including lexus 430, could bring me the joy than my 300sdl. once i sit inside of my car and start to drive, instantly i am the boss, i am the king of the road.

i have a 96 e300d also, but that one doesn't give me the same feeling.

can you diy? it'll save you big if you can, and less frustrations... for the interor color, does it that important? i once spent a whole weekend to restore the interior color with leatherique, ever since, it looks like anew. it's easy to do.

don't give up man!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.