Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

At what point will we have to resort to restoration to have a W126?

721 views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  jdc1244 
#1 ·
What are your estimates for when W126's will be scarce aside from near piles of junk that we will have to put a decent chunk of change to return it to it's former glory?

I love my car now, but there's going to come a point where it passes on. How will I replace it? When will the cutoff point be for buying a very well maintained, great condition W126? 2 years? 5 years? A decade?

I'm getting anxious to buy another clean condition W126 to jump into before they all dry up.

#4 ·
Probably not for 50-100 years, there will ALWAYS be beautiful mint ones out there, but eventually they will be scarce enough it will be had to find the exact model, color and option combination you want, but if you have the money, you will be always be able to buy a gorgeous one.

The W126 final production figures from 1980-1991 (1994 in South Africa) were in the hundreds of thousands, I think over a million, easily.

#5 ·
Well, as long as people still are making the consumables like rubbers, shocks, seals, etc. it could be 100 years. Look at the stuff being still reproduced for Model A's and T's. Where there is a demand, there will always be a supply.

Some people just seem think their supply is much more valuable than others, lol.

#6 ·
Hi! Where i live, many W126's are now being (and heve allready been) restored from high mileages and tough climate conditions (rust).. :)
And the "gen II" cars are not any better than the "gen I" ones..
There are not very many W126's here and most are 6cyl models 260SE, 280S/SE/SEL and 300SE/SEL. Off course a few nicely kept low mileage ones and high end models can be found allso.
So good luck finding a good W126 :D

#7 ·
W126 found in Southern California are usually pretty much rust free.
They are often run down, and too expensive to bring up to par.
Current prices may be close to the bottom.
Good condition cars command a quite reasonable premium, and should rise in price in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.