Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Will OEM 225/55/R16 fit a 1983 300SD?

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  AzimuthAviation 
#1 ·
Greetings Benz Wizards,

I have the OEM 14 inch wheels on my 1983 300SD. With 195/70R14 tires.

They don't all match and their paint is shot.

I got OEM chrome rims & tires off a 1982 W126 gas model (Didn't get the SEL etc designator-sorry)

They had 225/55/R16 tires mounted ( I had the junk yard demount those; they were worn thin)

But I DIDN'T consider offsets and other particulars that might effect using these 16(?) inch rims on my 300SD.

Also, what SIZE Michelin tires are good if these rims are OK to use (I'm not worried about speedometer accuracy, just good clearance and perhaps slightly larger diameter than the original 14inch OEMs I now have)

I DID find the Mercedes warning to use the correct Lug Bolts for each rim type in my Owners Manual ;-)

Any insights are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bryan

See less See more
#2 ·
You're on the right track Bryan!

If the wheels came off a w126 without spacers then you should be doing fine. I'm running 225/50/16's with an offset of 11mm and have also done the same with an offset of 24mm. With the 11mm offset I get slight fender rub when making more than casual runs over humps trying to get that "Bullet"/"Dukes of Hazard" look with the black smoke pouring out the back.

#3 ·
Thanks "Dr. Az"

The Donor didn't have spacers. I'll order some new Michelin 225/50/16s and get the 16inch rims fixed ( the aluminum has 1cm ding-crack OUTSIDE the bead area =grind/weld/grind/polish ) new stems , high speed balance and HD Blistiens.
And my girlfriend thinks SHE knows how to Shoe - Shop!! LOL!

The 14s will then go to SanDiego Craigs List once all is mounted. Gotta love a "recycled" luxury Benz!

RE; Black Smoke- from your Duke's burnouts or engine compression loading?
I have yet to do a Compression Test, but this 300,000 doesn't smoke...although that kick-down vacuum link on top of the valve cover isn't working yet either - LOL

eg - THANKS!

#4 ·
Is the linkage and or vacuum line ok?

Also, I run the same wheels and tires on my 560 SEL so you should be fine...

#5 ·
Further word on the Lug bolts. I cannot emphasis enough that you MUST use the correct length lugs. Too short and the wheel falls off in traffic. Too long in the Rear and they take out your EM brake as the shoes are inside the hub.

Also, while you may use an Air gun to take them of. It is HIGHLY recommended that you tighten them by hand to avoid stripping.

Take care... Go Easy

#6 · (Edited)
mclare - I didn't know the too long lugs could take-out the Parking Brakes....Like mine were bent and BROKE the rear drum sections (was like that when i bought it)

You might POST this about the LUGS et al on the NEEWBIE section and save LOTS of heartache and bewilderment!

DR Z - The vaccum lines are dried and leaking so I sealed them off (like the EGR valve) I have better linkages and new hoses from the Dealer$hip .... time, my friend, time...

NICE SEL!!! BTW!! Talk about instant credentials yourself!!

Thanks for the help here.
I hope it aides Other Searchers of wheel fit.
Cheer!

#7 ·
mclare - I didn't know the too long lugs could take-out the Parking Brakes....Like mine were bent and BROKE the rear drum sections (was like that when i bought it)

You might POST this about the LUGS et al on the NEEWBIE section and save LOTS of heartache and bewilderment!

DR Z - The vaccum lines are dried and leaking so I sealed them off (like the EGR valve) I have better linkages and new hoses from the Dealer .... time, my friend, time...

NICE SEL!!! BTW!! Talk about instant credentials yourself!!

Thanks for the help here.
I hope it aides Other Searchers of wheel fit.
Cheer!
Excellent!

It will take a little time to learn your way around and make the tweaks to get the car the way it should be. Twenty six years gives enough time for things to quit working, wear out, AND have some unique repairs made along the way. I went through the all those lines on top of the valve cover also. I replaced the 3/2 valve and the plastic block it rides on as it had been jacked up from the plastic lever missing for so long. The EGR wasn't working and I discovered a small bearing pluging the hose(old rumors of better fuel mileage caught someone). As I did those I also went back and adjusted the throttle linkage/bowden cable. It made a HUGE difference on how the car ran and shifted.

Yes...time is key :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.