European W126/US Federalized Vacuum Line Diagram Request - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 06:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2004
Vehicle: 500SL AMG, 500TE AMG, 500SEC AMG Widebody
European W126/US Federalized Vacuum Line Diagram Request

Back in the day when european/grey market W126 models were federalized, what was the vacuum routing and which diagrams were used?

The shop manuals I have and the many posted here show slight variations in the routing from what the euro SEL actual has currently.

I found that the vacuum line running to the charcoal canister was the source of a leak, when capped the economy gauge returns to it's most efficient position as it should during idle.

The vapor line is connected correctly with check valve in place. The other port (smaller) is connected directly a vacuum source other than the 4mm black line running to the throttle body as described in the shop manual. Also, no purge valve is present.

Any help clarifying this issue or my own thoughts well be much appreciated, thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
European W126/US Federalized Vacuum Line Diagram Request-charcoal-canister.jpg  
48hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2009, 07:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: '82 Euro 500SEL, '86 Euro 500SEC RUF
On my 1984 Euro 500SEC. Federalized in Houston TX.
Mine is set up with a MB gas tank relief valve under the back of the car and the line to the charcoal cannister (NAPA, for a BMW(done at Federalization time) in the engine compartment behind the right head light. The line out of the charcoal cannister goes into the vent hose from the passenger side valve cover just before the aircleaner connection. No vacuum to speak of. The Gas tank vent valve vents if there is over 50 bars (I think, test is 35 bar) of pressure built up in the tank, it also has a back pressure of some small setting.

Where does your vacuum line attach to get vacuum?

If that line out of the cannister is hooked to vacuum, then it will leak as I believe that the cannister is not a closed loop system, meaning it has a vent built in and you'd be pulling a leak all the time.

If it were me, I'd cap the vacuum line and run that line into the vent hose off the passenger side valve cover like my set up.

The online EPC has the vacuum system listed to show tubes and rubber connectors and various parts, so it gives a great visual.

This doesn't show the cannister set up. It does show a vacuum line off the bottom of the throttle body to the vacuum cannister connector(101),I believe(my car does not have this port on the throttle body).

Last edited by Chadahar; 05-13-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Chadahar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadahar View Post
On my 1984 Euro 500SEC. Federalized in Houston TX.
Mine is set up with a MB gas tank relief valve under the back of the car and the line to the charcoal cannister (NAPA, for a BMW(done at Federalization time) in the engine compartment behind the right head light. The line out of the charcoal cannister goes into the vent hose from the passenger side valve cover just before the aircleaner connection. No vacuum to speak of. The Gas tank vent valve vents if there is over 50 bars (I think, test is 35 bar) of pressure built up in the tank, it also has a back pressure of some small setting.

Where does your vacuum line attach to get vacuum?

If that line out of the cannister is hooked to vacuum, then it will leak as I believe that the cannister is not a closed loop system, meaning it has a vent built in and you'd be pulling a leak all the time.

If it were me, I'd cap the vacuum line and run that line into the vent hose off the passenger side valve cover like my set up.

The online EPC has the vacuum system listed to show tubes and rubber connectors and various parts, so it gives a great visual.

This doesn't show the cannister set up. It does show a vacuum line off the bottom of the throttle body to the vacuum cannister connector(101),I believe(my car does not have this port on the throttle body).
Thanks for the info Chadahar.

The vacuum to the canister is taken from a spliced line just below the brake booster. (milky white w/ yellow strip) That line runs from the lower of two check valves at the false fire wall on the driver's side and the other end disappears into the main cabin.

The canister is not a closed loop as you suspected and is vented at the bottom, hence the leak.

Notice in the picture I posted that there is an additional section added between the vacuum line and the canister port. Strangely, within that section is a plug with only a pin needle size hole. This along with the vacuum line delete to the breather hose may have been a method that was used to reduce nox during the smog reduction process. Go California!

I will take your suggestion and reroute that line thru back to the passenger side breather hose.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

You are entirely welcome. I just went through the hassle of doing all the vacuum lines in my Euro. And wonder of wonders, they were not connected per the picture above , but a mish mash. Took me a while to iron that out.

The line going into the cabin is probably your vacuum economy line or the feed for the A/C heater pods??

I think you just found Sylvia's small vacuum leak too. it just may be the vac line into the cannister in the fender well. I'll check that out tomorrow!

Glad I could be of help.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6, bought 07/08 with 50k original miles.
Lifetime Premium Member
Peruvian member flavio81 posted the Euro vacuum diagram.
It's in the DIY I believe.
Teutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
Thanks for the heads up but unfortunately it's been removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavio81 View Post
(This is old but i was told to repost it)

Vacuum Diagram for any euro standard (no cat) M116/117 engine in a W126 [1982-1984]
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126...r+500+sec+here
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126...um#post2837334
Old 05-15-2009, 01:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 1982 500 SEC (Euro)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
Yes indeed. Here it is, with explanation.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126...c-500-sec.html

But it does not cover the charcoal canister part. That was not in every model. I remember looking at the canister connection in other parts of the service manual. It's only for trapping the HC (hydrocarbons) that arise from the evaporation of fuel at the fuel tank, so the intake hose can capture them and burn them.
flavio81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavio81 View Post
Yes indeed. Here it is, with explanation.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126...c-500-sec.html

But it does not cover the charcoal canister part. That was not in every model. I remember looking at the canister connection in other parts of the service manual. It's only for trapping the HC (hydrocarbons) that arise from the evaporation of fuel at the fuel tank, so the intake hose can capture them and burn them.

flavio81, thank you.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2009
Vehicle: 500 SEC AMG Mod'd
Send a message via AIM to 500SEC_AMG
i have a grey market 500 sec and want to remove the charcoal cannister. Can anyone tell me how to do this and do I need to block anything off or bipass anything?
Photojournalist
Collector of Vinyl
www.jakewright.ca
500SEC_AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

If your Gas tank vent is under the car near the left rear wheel, then some MB car originally just vented to atmosphere with just the valve.
My car runs a tube from that valve under the left side of the car(strapped to the gas lines) up the void between the left front fender and the firewall, across between the firewalls, through the false firewall to the Charcoal filter mounted in front of the Radiator expansion tank. From the Charcoal cannister to the Crankcase vent line(passenger side Valve cover to Air Cleaner tube. So You could just run the tube from the vent to the vent tube like 48hp is doing. Depends upon your Clean Air Board and inspections, and what they look for.

Last edited by Chadahar; 05-17-2009 at 11:29 AM.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class