Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Beware of "RARE" French Euro Headlights on eBay

17K views 58 replies 19 participants last post by  Peter Seow 
#1 ·
I received one pair of the lights advertised on eBay as "RARE" French export euro headlights for $399 and they are not OEM, rather DIY specials. They are merely euro headlights with hand painted foglight reflectors.

The first photo is the foglight reflector found within the "RARE" French euro headlight offered by the eBay seller and the second photo is a genuine OEM foglight reflector as produced by Bosch. You be the judge.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I think I know somebody that got a set of those recently from that same Vendor...

#4 ·
Fast shipping... I do not want to firestorm the guy as he has other items that are legit. Unfortunately he has disclosed that he inspects each item prior to shipping. So, either he doesn't know what he's looking at or hopes the buyer wont know any better. Buyer beware.

#5 ·
Is he going to refund you H?

#6 ·
That first one does look painted. However, in a set of fogs(in the headlights)that I have for my 190, which are 100% oem bosch....look more like the "painted" reflector than that of the "oem". Just figured I'd add this as an fyi, as quality differences do happen.

How are you sure that they are painted? Not saying I don't believe you, just curious.

#8 ·
Here are a couple more photos. It's difficult to register in a photograph the runs, dirt and brush marks. But yes, they are painted and if you look closely at the third photo you can see that there is some yellow on the H4 base.

Attachments

#9 ·
A Canadian member recently bought a set of TRY-Y's with downpipes from a larger French company (something with marine...?) selling parts. For the yellow head lights, they seem to be the best and legit bet to go to.
48hp, you don't seem to have a lot of luck with European vendors.
Tough luck mate.

#11 ·
Welcome back Teutone!

Yeah, a couple of sour apples.

There were some bits rattling within and that prompted the disassembly. The internal bracket that suspends the main beam reflector was bust and only then did I realize that the fog was looking a bit rough. Snibble supplied me with the OEM photography to compare.

#10 ·
I can see more clearly now that they are painted. While I realize you prefer to have oem reflectors....if it were me, I would strip the yellow paint off an repaint them myself to where it wouldn't have all the blemishes.

#14 ·
Like I told 48hp, I have a set of French spec W126 headlights taken off a French spec 500SEL that was imported into Poland for parts. It even had the old French plates on it. Its currently in storage away from me... but promised to take pictures of the lens to show the difference.

#16 ·
I too appreciate originality. Can anyone confirm that a complete French euro Bosch headlight has the same part number as a complete standard Bosch euro headlight? I believe the only difference is the yellow tint on the fog reflector. That item can be swapped out. With that confirmed, then stripping the paint off of the DIY painted reflector would return the headlight to it's original state as a standard euro headlight.

#20 ·
Just curious, but isn't the French fog conversion the yellow "jars" that fit over the bulb assembly? That would give you the clear look when off and yellow light when on. I recall a member recently posting his proud pictures of his "crystal upgrade"?

If stripping that painted coating does not damage the aluminized coat, perhaps a re-application with an airbrush? That should provide a more "original" smooth finish....
JMHO,
Ron

#21 ·
Thank you for all the support.

I've requested that he verify the other set he has listed on eBay. If they are the real deal then I rsuggested that those be sent along with return postage and then I would return the lights received. Thought that was a fair request.

#28 ·
eBay feedback

Here's eBay feedback left by another well respected and extremely talented benzworld member:

"Headlamps arrrived with broken internal components, already glued ! Not good. Buyer: fishmonks ( 727) Dec-20-08 12:28

Reply by vw-1 (Dec-21-08 06:58):
HL were perfect when shipped!Seller dismanteled them and maybe broke some parts.-- (#400007082643)"

#37 ·
Here's eBay feedback left by another well respected and extremely talented benzworld member:

"Headlamps arrrived with broken internal components, already glued ! Not good. Buyer: fishmonks ( 727) Dec-20-08 12:28

Reply by vw-1 (Dec-21-08 06:58):
HL were perfect when shipped!Seller dismanteled them and maybe broke some parts.-- (#400007082643)"
I've had some trouble with his descriptions in the past, glove compartment trim was separating from the aluminum backing and had been rubber cemented for the pic, he didn't reply either.

#31 ·
...not sure if digging up the P/N is easy with them installed on the car. Good luck!
Yes it can be verified with them installed on the car. The rear of the FL housing flips open to service the halogen bulb, the PN is on the backside of the fog reflector.

#33 ·
Member and007ca bought his second set of TRY-Y's (lucky guy) from a apparently well sized French company (S.A.), something with marine(?) that seemed quite reputable.
Fair price and prompt shipping. Under 200 Euro to ship a set of TRY-Y's with down pipes to Canada.

#36 ·
French member 500secamg (Aymeric) has sold a number of parts here, incl a set of TRY-Y's with down pipes to and007ca at a fair price with prompt delivery.
I think the parts were sold through Auto / Moto Seine Maritime - leboncoin.fr
If I were looking for French spec parts.......

#39 ·
so what's the opponion here? Is the seller painting these lights or has someone else paint them and sells them as genuine... Or is it a mixed bag?

#42 ·
I believe it's simply buyer beware.

Whether it's the source, the seller or just an innocent oversight the bottom line is the seller must take responsibility for the product being sold. If an item is being advertised as "Rare" or unique and charging a premium for it, then the seller should verify that the item is as described.

In the future I would suggest verifying the product being offered with actual photos of THE ITEM that will be sent and also verify part numbers. The photo currently being used in an active auction is a generic photo, a photo that has been used in previous auctions.

I take full responsibility for being a sucker in this transaction for not have taken my own advise and for taking someone's word. :Smoker:

#43 ·
48hp, I will be at a family member's garage this weekend to see my French spec headlights. I will take pictures of the backside of the yellow fog light and write down any part numbers I find.

Sorry to hear that the seller sold you what appears to be painted fogs. He should atleast offer some sort of refund, even partial.

#45 ·
48hp, I will be at a family member's garage this weekend to see my French spec headlights. I will take pictures of the backside of the yellow fog light and write down any part numbers I find.
Excellent, thank you Snibble!

#47 ·
48hp, as promised... here are pictures of the back side of the yellow fog lens on my French headlights. They were stored in the basement of a relative thats 150 miles away so it was not something I could have easily done. I had to drive here anyways, so I took some pictures.

I did not compare the headlight assemblies side by side to see if there are any different part numbers between non-French and normal EU lights but would imagine there are none. They should have the same #'s. Now... I took pictures of the back side that shows the Bosch sticker with part numbers. This COULD have a different part number but I did not have a normal one to compare to at the moment.

So I see the "1 305 320 881" for the left one followed by "1 305 320 880" for the right side.

Picture gallery containing 12 images

#48 ·
Snibble, thank you kindly for looking into the numbers.

The parts numbers found on the back of the hand painted yellow fog lights sold to me are:
Bosch 1 305 320 878
Bosch 1 305 320 879

#49 ·
Well, then it makes sense. The standard Euro Bosch lens #'s, with the French version being the next 2 numbers afterwards.

#50 ·
just another little note from this seller to help future auctioneers:

seller....."The item was right advertised: they
were from France and the fogs were yellow. Nothing other was promised"

:Smoker:

#52 ·
lol, looks like the same seller to me or at least using the same ad description and a different user id.

And we've been thru this dr., only way to confirm authenticity is the PN on the back of the fog reflectors.:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.