Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Outside temperature display

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  nux 
#1 ·
How does the outside temperature display work.
Mine started displaying temps that were a little high, then a lot high, now seems to be peaked out at 136 degrees. Any ideas? Just a bad sensor?

#6 ·
could you explain how you did this? Does the metal sensor pop apart or something? And what exactly did you buy from futurlec? Thanks for any help, i wanna get mine working to without spending 75 bucks

#10 ·
Mine is screwed onto the back of the number plate. There is a small hole drilled at the bottom of the plate.

To replace it, I bought the 3kohm Thermistor from this page: Thermistors
I believe the MB original one is 3.3kOhm, using a 3k means it will read slightly low. You should be able to find a 3.3k one from Digikey/Mouser.

Behind the number plate is a little metal bullet, with a wire going in one end. Some careful pulling and prying got the wire out, which has a small thermistor on the end. Cut it out, solder the new thermistor on (making sure the leads are seperated) and it should work again. Then I put some heatshrink over the whole lot to waterproof/seal it all, and pushed it back into the 'bullet'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.