BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: 1987 300SDL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Transmission high pitched whine and weird shifting

So I've been dealing with getting banged around due to not having the vacuum hooked up to the tranny, but last night was different. I've always heard a slight high pitched whine when in low speeds/RPM's, but it was terribly loud right around 2500 RPM at highway speeds. Even with the radio and heater on it could be heard. Worse off, once I got in town, she almost didn't want to shift into 3rd, I had it up at speed for third, and by force of habit leaned forward for the inevitable bang, but it didn't shift. I let my foot up after revving it hard and there it went and shifted. I had to do that on the way home. Checked the fluid, very low, added a quart and it's somewhat better, but not as good as it was and the whine is still present but better.

I think the solution is for me to finish the fluid change I started (I do it twice to get the rest of the bad stuff out - it looked like used motor oil when I did it before) and hook up the vacuum line, but what can be causing the whine? I looked for a few hours last night through the forum but couldn't find anything specific on my issue.

Also, I'm guessing I should be replacing the B2 piston sometime soon? I know it's not related but I hear it's preventive maintenance on these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 12:06 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2002
Vehicle: Depends on the day!
Send a message via AIM to jhodg5ck
That whine is likely the front pump...Could be something else but I doubt it..and if your fluid looked THAT bad I'd start saving for a new box..

You could tackle the B2 or as mentioned above just save for a new trans..

Jonathan

Blue Ridge Mercedes/AMG East
Jonathan Hodgman
http://www.blueridgemb.com/
Enthusiast Service, Restoration & Tuning.
Authorized RENNtech Dealer & Installer
Follow Us on Facebook!
Located in the Atlanta area
05 E55 Estate
96 S600 Euro
93 300SE
92 500E Euro Track Rat
91 300CE
91 560SEC ECE
91 500SL Euro
91 560SEC 226/271
88 300E AMG
89 560SEC AMG+ SOHC 6.0L
87 Hammer Wagon 6.0L 32V
87 Hammer 6.0L 32V
86 560SEL AMG 6.0L 32V

Mercedes Repair Atlanta
#3 (permalink) Old 11-08-2008, 01:18 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I think your advise on saving my pennies is right on the money, but I'm now more convinced that it's the B2 - drove fine on the highway, but once I got off it would not go past 2nd gear, and then on top of that it wouldn't shift into reverse or park. On the way back home, letting it cool for an hour and a half, I could get it into 3rd with about 4000 RPM and letting my foot off at that point, and drove fine on the highway. Reverse and park also worked.

I'll look into the pump - thanks for the info!
#4 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 10:33 AM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Looks like I won't be doing those repairs. I started it and heard the whine again, and asked my dad to help by giving it some pedal to determine if it's the water pump or tranny pump, and lo and behold I see a nice puddle of fluid coming out the front near the pump. Oh well
#5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 01:18 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
OK, over a month later I have the car. Here's what happened:

Brought it to the mechanic, they put a new transmission pump and seal on and gave it a flush and fill with a new filter and gasket. Called me, asked me if it slipped before and I said no and they said they should have checked the clutch and didn't, and asked to keep it longer. I said OK, and they rebuilt the clutch (nice guys, they didn't charge me on that because they felt they should have checked it before putting the transmission back in).

I got the car back 3 weeks from when I brought it in, and it still felt pretty similar. I was getting slammed around as the gears would shift and could hear a whine (albeit not as loud) still. I figured it needed to break itself in, and kept driving. Wrong. I got somewhere, couldn't shift past neutral, so put it in neutral with the E-brake, and upon leaving it would not shift out of first, so I drove 40 miles home going 25-30.

Brought it back last week, they sent it to another shop who couldn't find a rebuilt valve body so they cleaned it very well and I got it back today.

It now will shift from 1st-2nd at 3500-4500 RPM, and 2nd-3rd very quickly, almost skipping 2nd, and then it's normal. But, it's smooth now, I don't get slammed around. However, it still won't shift into park unless I put it in neutral, turn the engine off, then shift it into park.

I'll be taking it back, but what else should I be asking for? A B2 piston? I asked them and they told me it looked fine - the replacement isn't metal, is it? They told me it was metal and looked to be OK and it had looked like it was opened before.

Something tells me the car shouldn't need to go 3500-4500 RPM to shift from 1st to 2nd. If I'm wrong though I'm wrong.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 10:52 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1984-1995 MB's
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Sounds like your Bowden cable needs adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoj879 View Post
It now will shift from 1st-2nd at 3500-4500 RPM, and 2nd-3rd very quickly, almost skipping 2nd, and then it's normal. But, it's smooth now, I don't get slammed around. However, it still won't shift into park unless I put it in neutral, turn the engine off, then shift it into park.

Something tells me the car shouldn't need to go 3500-4500 RPM to shift from 1st to 2nd. If I'm wrong though I'm wrong.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 11:06 PM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6, bought 07/08 with 50k original miles.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondavi View Post
Sounds like your Bowden cable needs adjustment.
+ 1
christoj879, have you tried a forum search?

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.