#1 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 11:19 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2001 M-B E320 (W210)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Under the hood, 'what's this?' pictures...

Okay, I had the digital camera out and decided to post a few pictures to find out 'what's this?'

Just in front of the firewall: looks like some relays of some sort; what are they for?

What's the relay with the red top?

What's this item?

Here's my fuse box; what is the proper way to pull out the relays?

Where are the fuel pump and air conditioning compressor relays located?

Thanks for any anwers to the above...

Richard / E320

2001 M-B E320 / Glacier White / Java Leather / 18" AMG Style III & Bridgestone Potenza's

http://www.geocities.ws/mymercedesbenze320/
https://sites.google.com/site/2001mercedesbenze320/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 11:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: '82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
First two are the Klima(climate control Relay, the other is the Fuel Pump Relay.
Third(red top)(fuse under red top)is the OVP= Over Voltage Protection relay.
Fourth is the ABS = Anti-lock Braking system.

As to the relays in the fuse box....ya got me All I know is whats on the fuse card and the long thin relay is the lighting relay. The others I don't have a clue as to what they are.

"I know you think you understand what you thought you heard me say, but what you thought you heard me say is not necessarily what I meant!"
#3 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 11:51 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadahar View Post
First two are the Klima (climate control Relay, the other is the Fuel Pump Relay.
Third(red top)(fuse under red top)is the OVP= Over Voltage Protection relay.
Fourth is the ABS = Anti-lock Braking system.
Chadahar;

When you say 'first two', are you saying that one of them is the climate contral relay and the other one is the fuel pump relay?

One is part number 003 545 25 05 (climate control?) and the other one, in part, says 002 545 18 xx (fuel pump?). Too much flash bounce to read the number, but I'm trying to learn whats-what under the hood.

Richard / E320

2001 M-B E320 / Glacier White / Java Leather / 18" AMG Style III & Bridgestone Potenza's

#4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 12:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2005
Vehicle: too many
Klima relay says Klima on it. The other one is the fuel pump relay. The CD service manual is great for showing what all the various fuses, relays, etc are for. I suggest you get one, has helped me a great deal.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 12:19 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusfmeyer View Post
The CD service manual is great for showing what all the various fuses, relays, etc are for. I suggest you get one, has helped me a great deal.
I have the Mitchell manual on CD; can't recommend that one to anyone. I have another manual on CD coming from a seller on eBay; I think it was shipped all the way around the world a few times first, as I stilll don't have it. I have the older WIS but have never gotten it to install properly. May order another WIS version, just waiting to the last eBay manual first to see what it is...

Richard / E320

#6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard / E320 View Post
I have the Mitchell manual on CD; can't recommend that one to anyone. I have another manual on CD coming from a seller on eBay; I think it was shipped all the way around the world a few times first, as I stilll don't have it. I have the older WIS but have never gotten it to install properly. May order another WIS version, just waiting to the last eBay manual first to see what it is...
dont know if its my place, but i just oderd a disk manual set from johnathan. as i was going through the same run around on ebay, & getting disks that were junk ect. he seems to be easy to contact, responds promply, set up to take cc, paypal ect.plus i just told hime what car i had, & suspect ill get exactly what i need. simple, no gues work or wories.works for me.
#7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 03:48 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 1987 420SEL
I agree entirely with Granit; I've purchased the CD manual from Jonathan aswell and it gets the job done, a plus when you own a 420.
#8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 04:54 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 1990 560 SEL
Richard--

I hope the relay ID thing is straightened out, but looking at your fuse box I noticed that all of your fuses are the older aluminum type (they may be new, but probably not). It is generally recommended that these type of fuses be replaced with copper ones (readily available and inexpensive on the net). The aluminum ones can corrode and cause electrical gremlins to show up, and this is the first thing to change before trying more expensive things. When I replaced my fuses, I also found a couple of them had the wrong type (too high/low amperage), so it was good to set things straight. Your fuse box should have a listing inside the top cover; if not, this is easily gotten from someone here.

Pulling relays is pretty straightforward-- just pull them, maybe working them back and forth a bit while doing so.

Good luck with the new car!

Dave

1990 560 SEL, 190K. Smoke silver (702) on Cream beieg leather (265). Gen 2 euro bumpers, euro headlights/turns, W140 glass moonroof, orthopedic seats, Nakamichi CD400/MBQuart 4.125 ONYX amp w/ Polk db650 rears, db1000 fronts, rear "dummy" lights activated as brake lights, 35% bronze tints.
1983 300SD, 106K. Orient Red (501) on Java MB tex (154). SOLD (and I miss ol' Hans...)
#9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 07:28 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElRojo View Post

'...but looking at your fuse box I noticed that all of your fuses are the older aluminum type (they may be new, but probably not). It is generally recommended that these type of fuses be replaced with copper ones (readily available and inexpensive on the net). The aluminum ones can corrode and cause electrical gremlins to show up, and this is the first thing to change before trying more expensive things...'

Dave
Good eye, Dave! I had gotten all new fuses recently and changed them out today, just after taking the picture of the fuse box this morning. Might not do any good but then it can't do any harm either.

Nice license plate on your SEL, by the way... and sooner or later I'll post of few pictures of my 420. So far, I have replaced the OEM wheels with the same ones as you have with new tires, and replaced the front grille assembly, star and headlight surrounds.

Richard / E320

Last edited by Richard / E320; 06-01-2008 at 07:33 PM.
#10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 08:37 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2008
Send a message via Yahoo to Wooky30055
Greetings yall, new to this forum (was on another, got tired of being "slammed" on every post I made there ) and this is my first post here . On a '91 300SE, behind the fuse box there is a silver box (marked "MAS") with a knob (don't have a pic). A while back I think I read that there is something on the car that would enable me to use a lower grade of gasoline, I am presently running high test (93) but with gas prices . . . I was wanting to run the mid-grade (89). I don't hotrod the car and most driving is highway (I live 18 miles out of town) with some in town going to work. Is this "MAS" box what I'm looking for? If so, how far around would I turn the knob?

Thanks

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class