Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

300sdl tranny fluid check

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Teutone 
#1 · (Edited)
300sdl transmission fluid check

How long does it take for the car to warm up in order to accuratly check the trans fluid on the dipstick?
When I changed my trans fluid and the filter, but the mechanic put in a little tooooooo much fluid. So I drained the excess and in the morning checked it again. Now it was tooooooooo low. so I added what I thought was normal and brought it up to level. 5 minutes later I drove to the Mercedes dealer because I could not get a accurate reading on the dip stick and had one of the Advisers look at it and they told me to add 1 liter. Well the car was not very warmed up yet and I ended up over filling it by allot. So I siphoned out the excess yet again and this time it was perfect. I took the car for nice long run and got her warmed up properly. Now when I checked the dipstick it was just at the max with the car and trans warmed up. I was just scared when I saw the dipstick almost dry in the morning so I kept adding and adding until it was too much. Now I have it leveled correctly so when the car is warm it shows just on the Max mark. Is this correct? thanks again for all your help.

#3 ·
How long does it take for the car to warm up in order to accuratly check the trans fluid on the dipstick?
When I changed my trans fluid and the filter, but the mechanic put in a little tooooooo much fluid. So I drained the excess and in the morning checked it again. Now it was tooooooooo low. so I added what I thought was normal and brought it up to level. 5 minutes later I drove to the Mercedes dealer because I could not get a accurate reading on the dip stick and had one of the Advisers look at it and they told me to add 1 liter. Well the car was not very warmed up yet and I ended up over filling it by allot. So I siphoned out the excess yet again and this time it was perfect. I took the car for nice long run and got her warmed up properly. Now when I checked the dipstick it was just at the max with the car and trans warmed up. I was just scared when I saw the dipstick almost dry in the morning so I kept adding and adding until it was too much. Now I have it leveled correctly so when the car is warm it shows just on the Max mark. Is this correct? thanks again for all your help.
Have you tried a forum search? The archive has a wealth of information.

Please click 'User CP' on the top tool bar, and complete your profile with a location and model of your car.
It makes it easier for members to offer advice. MB produced different, and region / Country specific versions of our cars.

Welcome, to take advantage of all the forum features, please re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page, as well as the two DIY stickies.
It will show how to search the forum (3 words min.), and has a link to the Russian MB site where you can run a VIN#.
Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.