Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Yea! A couple of relatively minor things fixed

575 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Teutone 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought I had a faulty relay causing my LR and RF windows to not work. Turns out it was a barely blown fuse. I had to hold it up to the light to see it was not intact.

Anyway, that's fixed, as I have a bunch of fuses I scored at the salvage yard last time I was there.

However, this means I had no reason to disassemble the relay which fits in socket "D". This relay, at least partly, controls the A/C fan. I didn't do anything to it, merely removed the cover, which was destroyed in the process, but IT STILL WORKS 100%!

Gotta love old-style tech, sometimes. The fuse box being nicely sealed means I don't feel terrible about it being 'naked', though I do wish, now, I hadn't messed with it. I mean, after 19 years, it's not even particularly dusty in there, and this was a Las Vegas car for the first 18 years of its life.

One thing I noticed. If the relay is 'on', while the key is out, the fan runs. This could be nice to have on a timer of some sort to clear post-engine-stop heat bulid-up. Probably unnecessary, though.

Does anyone know what each relay controls? "C" and "D" appear to both work the A/C fan, as had the one which is coverless not worked, I would have pilfered one from elsewhere, for a while.... The local dealer is out-of-stock, and I have no reason to go to that side of town, anyway.

I'm also hoping to find a local salvage yard with a couple of these, as, if nothing else, I need the parts to get my sunroof back to tilting. I miss that as a vent when parked, opened just a few mm's.

I was both surprised, and quite pleased, to find the A/C fan on the condenser doesn't run until the engine coolant temp is above a preset level. This rocks, as on the last car I had, a 1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara, turning the A/C on had the fan going full-tilt, even if it were -10F outside. Not particularly smart, IMO, and actually, this behavior cost me a condenser on that car. Small rocks which had made it past both the grille and the fan's grille, flattened every fin covered by the fan in less than 8 seconds. I think, if I'd driven it for three minutes before the fan started, most of them would have shaken out, as the physics are different, being towed behind a motorhome and being driven. Of course, the rock 'drain slot' was smaller than the fan's grille openings...brilliant!!!!

EDIT: While I was under the hood, I snipped the air pump's drive belt, and I'd swear it helps with the stumble my car has immediately after starting, though I need a few more starts to make certain this is the case.

See less See more
#3 ·
The file won't attach to an email either:
Attach Files

There was a problem:
An attached file cannot exceed 10.0MB [What's this?].

Attaching files...
Please wait while we attach the file(s) to your message.

Click "Browse" to select a file. You can attach files up to a total message size of 10.0MB

Sorry man, perhaps someone more computer savy than I can separate the sub file, and attach it.
Its under # 24 - Electrical Troubleshooting,

1986-1991

* Index of Electrical Circuits,

select page: fuse circuit list

You may be able to find it in the forum archive with ,index electrical circuits.'

#4 ·
Man, it must be huge to be more than ten megs...

PDF's are usually pretty good at being small in file size.

Oh, well. I'll look around a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.