Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

OK, it's not a W126, but OHMYGOD!!

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  mattm2988 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought a 2003 CL600 this past Friday. It was local, went to Benz dealer for a PPI, etc etc so no worries about long distances sight-unseen stuff.

It is a Brabus car, went to Brabus when near new in southern CA and got the full treatment - computer suspension lowering module, wheels, Brabus/Alcon 6-piston front caliper brakes with giant rotors, front and rear air dams, lighted Brabus sill plates, quad exhaust, and most importantly, engine control software.

So now this twin-turbo 12-cylinder puts out 570HP and 663 lbs-ft of torque.

All I can say is - OhMyF*CKINGGod!

It's impossible to to describe. First, you are always going 80....on the highway, rural roads, school zones....everywhere. Whenever I look down at the speedo, I am going 80. There is no sensation of speed.

That also is a downside, as it would be more fun to get some noise and feel to go along with the power. Even with the Brabus quad exhaust, it's nearly silent. I might actually take it to my race exhaust shop and ask them to increase the sound a bit.

From a standstill, it's fast, although it's heavy and traction limited, so not drag race fast. Although I accidentally KILLED a new Subie STi from a red light, and he was revving and dumped his clutch. I just rolled on the throttle like a normal start on the way to get diapers. We're even for about 30 yards, then I watched him get smaller in the sideview mirror.

But on the highway, at 80 and then flooring it, it's so fast I think it alters the rotation of the earth. You gun it, it drops down a gear or two, small delay, and it lunges forward. You're at 95 or so instantly, and think "sh*t, this car is crazy fast."

THEN the turbos spool up, and it absolutely flies forward, pinning you into the seat at 100 and higher, gathering speed like you can not believe. I swear to god it goes from 80 to 140 faster than my SEL goes 0 to 60, and I don't think I am exaggerating. The speedometer needle swings as fast as a tachometer needle in second gear!

You have to let off the gas after a few seconds, because the momentum is so strong that after you come off the throttle, it's STILL increasing speed for a couple of seconds before leveling off. No matter how much clear road I had, within 5 seconds I was seriously concerned I was running out of road. And when passing, you have to swing out first, prior to hitting the gas, because there is a real risk you'll simply crash into the back of the car you intend to pass if you hit the gas first.

A guy in an Benz S55 paced me for a bit, then nailed it. I waited a second, then nailed it, and reeled him in within a couple of seconds and just flew by at 120 like he was in reverse. I can see how this much power is totally intoxicating.

It's as close as i'll ever get to lighting the afterburners on a fighter, minus the noise and drama.

Crazy!

See less See more
#3 ·
Bruce, Let me know when they nab you one too many times for speeding and you need a temporary home for her...! Ha ha..! :) I've seen an SL65 at Satish's shop that had work done, and all I can say is holy cow. Fighter plane is a good thing to think of.

#5 ·
sick, my dad's CL600 is one year older and not turbos and that feels like a beast. I can only imagine what you have!

#6 ·
I know what you mean. Just for kicks, I went to the MB dealer the other day checking out some pre-owned MB's. After driving a few newer models, I'm seriously considering something more modern than the w126. Don't get me wrong, I love the 126's but there's been a lot of refinement in performance and styling since then! The newer models are stunning.

Good luck with your new toy!

#8 ·
I hope you plan on bringing something To the Deutche Classic this year Bruce!

#9 ·
My mom has a S63, incredible car but not nearly has fast as what everyone had made it out to be. I ran it at the track the first night we had it with 90mi on it and turned a 13 flat stock. Its gotten some tuning and exhaust work done since then. Overall its still an incredible car, but it needs to be faster. My Crown Vic (aka Crown Vicious) will absolutely kill it and can still tow 5000lbs.

#15 ·
Um, what are you doing taking a car with only 90 miles to the track?! Engine is still being broken in! And you don't think its that fast? Really! What is in this "Vicious" car of yours? I don't know of any Vic that will blow away an S63, unless you've supercharged it or done some serious mods. I have several friends with police versions, and they are no AMG. Matter of fact, my friend with a non-police version Vic Sport couldn't even keep up with me in my SEC and I wasn't trying overly hard.

#11 ·
No, not at all. The more the merrier, but person has not responded lately to my questions. will let you know if he does.

I am not planning on keeping it very long....certainly not long enough to incur repair costs on that car. I think the v12 cars come with minimum $1K repairs. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.