Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Looking to get an SEC or SEL, wanted to know some Safety/etc. comparisons

759 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  DP 
#1 ·
Hey 126'ers. I'm really interested in getting either an SEC or SEL (late-80's to early-90's) for a fun second car perhaps sometime in the future. The SEL's are cool and would be a nice companion to my current S, but I loove the SEC's, such a classic MB style. My questions and concerns toward it are, without the B pillar and due to it being a Coupe, is it as safe as the SEL body? Also, I looked up the Gas Mileage for these cars and it looks like regardless of Motor, they get pretty :eek: Mileage, I think I remember seeing around 12/15 or something like that. How does yours fare for you?

Can't think of anything else right now, but obviously any reliability/dependability experience/knowledge with high Mileage W126's would be appreciated, thanks.

#2 ·
with gas prices on the rise... Be aware to sacrifice, Time, Blood, And as all mercedes do... MONEY! but they do give back one thing in particular... Prestige! i have a SEL and i have MANY problems with it, probably because of the past owner, but i still cant find the heart to leave her. Goodluck on your search!

#3 ·
Have you tried a forum search? The archive has a wealth of information.

Welcome, to take advantage of all the forum features, please re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page, as well as the two DIY stickies.
It will show how to search the forum (3 words min.), and has a link to the Russian MB site where you can run a VIN#.
Cheers

Attachments

#4 ·
The 150k mile 01 S500 owner looking to get a real Mercedes? No! You will need something to drive while yours is at the dealer getting service work done, so a SEL or SEC would be a good call.

#5 ·
Cool, checked out the Searches and got alot of good info on the Gas Mileage. What I can't seem to find though is anything on Safety comparisons of the two models? I'm mainly looking into getting one for enthusiast purposes, to go along with my current car, so the SEC seems like a more fun choice for me as the SEL although definitely safe, seems to get even worse MPG's than my '01 so not too sure if there would be a strong enough point for me to pick one up. My main curiosity toward the safety of the SEC is the lack of the B Pillar, was wondering if that is indeed a factor toward the safety of the car.

Thanks again.

#6 ·
Safety is IME is nearly identical b/w the two models and shouldn't factory in to your decision.. I've seen SEC's in some horrendous crashes where the driver has walked away.

Jonathan

#8 ·
Thanks, that would be awesome if that is the case. The SEC's are such nice rides, best "S Coupe" IMO they ever made during an individual time period, as after that I always prefered the 4-Door version as opposed to the 2-Door, however the SEC tickles my fancy some more than the SEL. I hated the mid-90's CL 500, the 215 is pretty nice, mostly hit and miss for me, but definitely nice, and the W216 I'm not certain about my feelings for it yet, not too crazy about it, then again I do like how it draws some distinctions from the SEC in fact, IMO.

#7 ·
Have you tried a forum search? The archive has a wealth of information.

Welcome, to take advantage of all the forum features, please re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page, as well as the two DIY stickies.
It will show how to search the forum (3 words min.), and has a link to the Russian MB site where you can run a VIN#.
Cheers

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.