Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

my car wont start please help

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  NordRhein 
#1 ·
i have a 1984 mercedes 380 se

the car turns over and will start for about 3 sec then turns off , if i keep my foot on the gas it will stay on but as soon as i let go the car dies .....
i drove it that way down the street but when i pushed the gas to the floor the car barley moved .....

and now the car wont start period ... :confused:
i can hear the pump turn on for a sec when i start the car ....
pressure test is good
and car is getting spark

the car sat for a year .....
i empty all the bad gas
changed the fuel pump
changed the fuel distributer
cahnged the injectors and lines
changed spark plugs and wires

and nothing

can some one pllease help me !!!:bowdown

See less See more
#2 ·
warm up regulator could be causing your issues..

Either fuel or spark is not making it to the cylinder, you need to figure out which one is the problem.

Jonathan

#3 ·
is this item near the battery? a friend of mine has a euro, 380 se. (thats the way its badged. but its an inline 6 double overhead cams. while working on the battery tray he breached this plastic piece which( he) called a safty switch of somekind,has something to do with the fuel pump! cuz when a tricklecharger is conected to fuel pump OR this part is jimmyed the car keeps running,its the size of a quarter, black, ect.

#4 ·
No, it's on the front pass. side of the engine.

Your friends car is a 280, not a 380.

No safety switch to my knowledge/experience in these cars.

Have a photo handy?

Jonathan

#12 ·
Pull the plugs and clean them with a spark plug cleaner(sandblaster) or put new ones in. Now try to start it. If it won't start pull the plugs again. If they are wet with gas you now know your problem. Plugs will NEVER be soaked with gas on a properly running engine. If soaked your mixture is waay rich and the cold start regulator is a prime suspect however a mis-adjusted air metering plate is on the list.

#8 ·
Have you tried a forum search? The archive has a wealth of information.

Please click 'User CP' on the top tool bar, and complete your profile with a location and model of your car.
It makes it easier for members to offer advice. MB produced different, and region / Country specific versions of our cars.

Welcome, to take advantage of all the forum features, please re visit the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page, as well as the two DIY stickies.
It will show how to search the forum (3 words min.), and has a link to the Russian MB site where you can run a VIN#.
Cheers

#9 ·
Well, I'd say it's time to get a set of fuel pressure gauges on the car.... Could be pressure reg, could be fuel distro.. Someone who is knowledgeable with a set of gauges will be able to diagnose what's what...

Jonathan

#10 ·
Did you replace the coils and coil wires? When my 400E wouldnt start that was the issue. They were dated 1992 (ouch) and the coil wires were like stone. I replaced them and bam as soon as it wasnt flooded from all the starting tries it fired right up. Also the ignition block on the drivers fender may have gone out. Your car is at a year im not real sure of but if its there it controls the voltage to the coils.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.