Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

WHAT SHOULD I DO ?

792 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  and007ca 
#1 ·
I'm not sure how but the tranny dipstick broke off at the maximum level mark :confused::crybaby2:
I just find out after I drown the car and dont know when it happen.
The piece is about 1 1/2" to 2" long and it is possible there smaller metal pieces in there to.
Logic tells me :don't drive it til I get the metal pieces out?!:crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2:

#4 ·
Do nothing.

That happens reasonably often and will cause no damage to anything. There is a metal covered filter in the pan for the pump and it will not let the end of the dipstick move into the transmission. The filter will catch any smaller chips/pieces. BTDT

Just let the technician know it's in there during the next SCHEDULED maintenance.

#5 ·
Get a new stick to put the fluid on the level you said you have to much oil in.
There is a pan plug so you can drain the oil out.
Or.
While you are there, do a transm. service, remove pan no need new gasket if it is still good is heavy rubber so it lasts a long time.
Replace the filter add some dextron III if you want.
Fish out the broken piece, no big deal it is on the pan floor.
But don't run with more oil then you are sup oust.
Regards.
aam.

#6 ·
Thanks to ALL!
I got the sucker out!It was sitting on the bottom of the pan.I changed the filter,it was $58.Added 3 liter of AMS syntec oil ,about $35.Free dipstick from my parts car,just needed to change the top part,the original is in a better condation.My garage lift was a big help and made the job go so much faster!

Andrew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.