Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Suggestions on how to clean up fuel injector line threads in fuel distributor (380se)

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bcolins 
#1 ·
Looks like I may have cross threaded the threads for an injector line in my new (to me) fuel distributor in my 85 380SE.

It seemed a little snug,...I backed it out,...tried it again and it appeared to be going in......but after about 5 rotations with on open end wrench,....it stopped and was only about half way in.

I just got this fuel distributor and can't believe I may have screwed it up.

Any suggestions?

Brian in Austin.

#2 ·
Have you used tap and die bits before? I suggest a look around in the forum archive.

Please click 'User CP' on the top tool bar, and complete your profile with a location and model of your car.
It makes it easier for members to offer advice. MB produced different, and region / Country specific versions of our cars.

Welcome, to take advantage of all the forum features, please make sure to read the 'Welcome to the Forum' tutorial sticky on top of the W126 page, as well as the two DIY stickies.
It will show how to search the forum (3 words min.), and has a link to the Russian MB site where you can run a VIN#. The forum archive has a wealth of information.
Cheers

Attachments

#3 ·
That's a shame...! I haven't ever cross threaded a unit before but I've heard some people have been able to heli coil them if it's Really bad. That aside, your Best bet is to get it back in sitting level and in line with the old threads. These should snug down by hand while jiggling the fuel line.
You should always check the level of the fuel line head to be sure it's sitting flat before you try to run them down.

Jonathan

#4 ·
I got it sorted out--now just no fuel output from the distributor

Well I got it sorted out.....I was finishing up in very low light out in the driveway last night,...as soon as I realized what had happened, I stopped. Got back on it this morning and in full light, could see the slight angle on the injector line fitting...picked a more visually "inline" position and gently screwed it in with a wrench.....and darned if it didn't go right in.

Only problem now is that I don't appear to have any fuel from the injectors.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.