Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Engine wont exceed 3200 RPM??

900 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  jhodg5ck 
#1 ·
I just got my car back from the shop. I was there over 6 months getting the transmission rebuilt. That's a different story. I just got it back and of course I HAD to give it a welcome home rev, but it kills itself at about 3200 RPM. The engine doesn't die completely, it just lets off. If I hold the gas the car will just get pissed off and the RPM will bounce back and forth around 3000. I've even tested the car while autosticking it in low gear. It does the same thing even if it's moving.

Any ideas? It never did this before. It's not a huge issue as my car is a POS anyways, but I'm trying to use this one as a learning experience so I would still enjoy solving the issue. The only thing I can think of is that the car idled way too high when I got it, and my mechanic adjusted the fuel mixture to knock the idle down a bit. I know this isn't the right way to conquer the issue, but it saved me money hard transmission jerks into gear. Let me know what you guys think.

#3 ·
Fuel filter has not been done since I've had the car, so that could definitely be correct. My temp has always sat just below 80 C, a tad higher in the summer.

#5 ·
Air fliter is a good one and easy to check - just open the air filter housing, remove the air filter and try again.

Also check for a sticky cruise control actuator arm that prevents full travel of throttle linkage even though you have full pedal travel.

talbir

#6 ·
I've already tried this without the air filter housing on and it didn't make a difference. Also, it's not as if the RPM sticks at 3200 and wont go beyond...at 3200 it's as if the engine dies, the RPM instantly drops, and if I've held my foot on the gas it pops back up to 3200ish only to repeating the dying and jumping process. I'll check, but I think this rules out the sticky cruise control servo.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll try changing the fuel filter next week. It's been raining here for what seems like months now, and I'll have to be working in the street.

#7 ·
Have you got cats on the car ?

Blocked/broken cats will give this symptom.

talbir

#8 ·
That was what my temp question was getting @...were he Really that clogged temps should be increasing a good bit as the engine struggled to get the exhaust out.

Jonathan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.