#1 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 07:34 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 500 SE (1989), 304,000 km.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question No cigarette lighter spot in car -- is an install easy?

Ok folks, a question about a cigarette lighter. Don't wanna use one to have a cig (lol) while in my 126, but want one to charge my phone, and prospectively, in the future, to power a portable satnav system (TomTom, or Garmin, for instance).

Is there an aftermarket item you recommend, and how easy is the DIY install?

Cheers in advance,
RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 07:39 PM
~BANNED~

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
Your car should have several lighter sockets already there. You can add another (as I did). I didn't want to have to leave the ashtray open for power to my satellite radio unit, so I added one beside the ashtray to the left. I spliced into the ashtray power, hid all the wires, it works great and looks almost stock.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 07:54 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Arrow

Cheers for the reply...there are no DC charger points on my Benz. I guess the previous owner didn't want that option. How do you think I should proceed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.xpowerseller View Post
Your car should have several lighter sockets already there. You can add another (as I did). I didn't want to have to leave the ashtray open for power to my satellite radio unit, so I added one beside the ashtray to the left. I spliced into the ashtray power, hid all the wires, it works great and looks almost stock.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 10:16 PM
slightly creased

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 1988 420 SE; 2008 ML 500
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
You are making assumptions about which options were installed on the car, typically the SE models outside the US did not have lighters in the rear seat ashtrays.

RS, what is occupying the place in the center console where the ashtray should be (below the radio)? Either way, the one thing MB would not have done was remove (or not install) the wiring which should have gone to feed the front ashtray - so the lines should be there.

I only say that as I imagine it would have been far to uneconomical to manufacture a separate wiring loom for the very rare deletion of ashtray in the front.

Ross

OzBenz

beware of fundamentalists

#5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 08:54 AM
~BANNED~

I have never seen a W126 without a center front ashtray. This would be a first if there was nothing there. Is there a plastic filler there? If so, pop it off and see if the wiring is back there. You would just splice into that.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 05:59 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Arrow

420 SE and mr. x,

Cheers for your replies. You're correct, in the centre console area, there was an "ashtray" of sorts, just no charger point in the traditional sense, as I said before. Thing is, I'm planning ahead. Car far away at indy's yard awaiting parts for another job (cylinder heads' work). I disassembled that ashtray months ago when I was doing a bulb change for the shifter-stick, but never reinstalled it.

1) What wires will I be working with for the charger install?

2) What device will I need for the charger? (Aftermarket whole part -- what type?)

Please explain a little more, good folks, and I appreciate your patience!

Cheers,
RS
#7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 06:17 PM
slightly creased

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 1988 420 SE; 2008 ML 500
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I appreciate your car is away at present, but when it returns I would love to see a photo of the center console/dash area. I too am surprised the ashtray does not have a lighter in it. I am not aware that MB had 2 versions of the front ashtray.

I am not at home at the moment to post the wiring diagrams showing where you would pick up power from, but basically any power line which had a high enough rated fuse for your purposes would do.

As for what to get, any cigarette lighter fitting from any car parts store will do. I am thinking of wiring a spare one into the box under the armrest just to have another power outlet.

It is essentially a positive line and a negative (earth) line, hard to mess up!

Cheers

Ross

OzBenz

beware of fundamentalists

#8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 06:41 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Arrow

Ok, will post a pic when I get the Benz back later this month. Thanks for the spare parts info too. Please post a pic on our Board of your additional lighter point! It'd be great to see how you affix it, and whether you drill any holes, etc.

Cheers,
RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420 SE View Post
I appreciate your car is away at present, but when it returns I would love to see a photo of the center console/dash area. I too am surprised the ashtray does not have a lighter in it. I am not aware that MB had 2 versions of the front ashtray.

I am not at home at the moment to post the wiring diagrams showing where you would pick up power from, but basically any power line which had a high enough rated fuse for your purposes would do.

As for what to get, any cigarette lighter fitting from any car parts store will do. I am thinking of wiring a spare one into the box under the armrest just to have another power outlet.

It is essentially a positive line and a negative (earth) line, hard to mess up!

Cheers
#9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 07:10 PM
~BANNED~

Are you sure someone didn't break the lighter socket off or replace the entire ashtray with a non MB unit? Why they would put an ash tray in an not a lighter socket is a little bit puzzling.
#10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 07:26 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Arrow

I hope that wasn't the case. Puzzling me too, lol. Once I take the pics, you folks can weigh in. That'll be at end of this month, when I get the car back.

Quote:
Are you sure someone didn't break the lighter socket off or replace the entire ashtray with a non MB unit? Why they would put an ash tray in an not a lighter socket is a little bit puzzling.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class