#1 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 01:27 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: Mercedes 420 SEL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Need Info: How does the sunroof actually work?

Having never had my sunroof work, I was wondering how it actually works before I attempt a repair.

Mine goes up, but won't come down unless I play with it a little bit by lifting it up and letting it "plop" down. It doesn't go back and forth.

If the sunroof motor was working properly, would the sunroof itself stay level, and while the cable pulls the sunroof back--it then slips down and under the roof line?

OR

Do you pull the button down, and the sunroof retracts below the surface, and THEN you slide the button rearward and the sunroof then slides back?

If the former is the case, then I'll try tightening the clutch on the motor as described previously and see if it won't then pull it back.

Any info on the later model with the 'tilt' function would be much appreciated.

I'll post up a compilation of information that I've put together from my searches on "sunroof repair".

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 01:36 PM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6, bought 07/08 with 50k original miles.
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Tons of info in the archives, including the PDF files I have posted several times. Did you try a search (3 words)?
Attached Images

#3 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 04:54 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
Tons of info in the archives, including the PDF files I have posted several times. Did you try a search (3 words)?
Yeah, I searched all the way back to 2003 or something. I made a word document with all the information that I was going to post-up under the DIY section, have all diagrams, books, etc.

Why isn't the information in the DIY section???

Just want to know how it actually works before I do the usual play iwith it and make it worse.

Just wondering if the one button that lowers and raises the sun roof, lowers it below the roof line, then it retracts back, or by just sliding the button rearwards, does it lower and retract on its own.

Is there a separate archive section, or do you just mean old threads that pop-up when you do a search?

Last edited by guarddog; 03-14-2008 at 05:01 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 04:59 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
This is the raw information I've collected to date, might purchase the guidebook at mercedes source.

Hi-Ho!

Sunroof won't open? Need to getb to its guts to fix the problem? Don't want to pull down the entire head-liner? Here's what to do -

1)get a good-sized flat head screw driver
2) Insert it at the front of your sunroof, between liner and metal bar at the front of liner
3)Pry the liner down until you can get your fingers under the liner
4) Bend liner down in middle and make it bow
5) Front sides should "pop" out
6) there is a rod wchich controls the sunnroof motion, disconnect from plastic holder once it is visible at the back of sunnroof
7) work liner forward until you can get the back out "diagonally"

Presto. Its out. It took my mechanic about two minutes.

The bolts to remove the sunroof itself are located at the two front corners (two a piece) and on the sides just inside the roof liner - plenty of room to get them out.

robw126

The motor is located in the boot (trunk) on the lefthand side. You need to remove the plastic trim to get access to it.

It is situated in front of the aerial.

When you have located it, you should be able to see what looks like a grey plastic nut on the side of it. This is actually a cover and can be flicked off.

Behind the cover is a 17mm nut (you will need a deep socket to fit it). This nut adjusts the clutch withtin the motor. You need to turn it clockwise a little bit at a time and try the roof again until its opens correctly.

think you should WD40 a few times. Mines use to stop too and I had to push/pull to open or close. I flooded the rails and all with WD40 and it's like new. Open it all the way, hit the rails, wipe down and then spray again. Now close it and open just the back (when it lifts up) and then spray from the back down to the rails that's hidden when opened the other way. Now just open and close a few times. Hope this helps and avoids spending excess $$$.
__________________________________________________ ______-

bergsmamotorwerks.com - Coming Soon!

Anybody ever tried to fix their sunroof?

I took mine apart and found out that a tiny plastic part is broken (# 126 782 1112).

I went to the dealer to be told that I have to buy the whole kit (kit #132); or at the least the broken part as well as the left side too; and two additional parts (124 782 0547 and 124 782 0367) (for $441.66 to be exact).

Is it the only way to go?

Thanks and cheers!
Golfkaki

Try this place: Used Mercedes parts,rebuilt mercedes transmissions, new mercedes parts

I've used them to get little odds and ends that would otherwise cost a fortune (i.e., window motor, third brake light, bumper tow hook cover, ash tray, etc . . .).

Check out the panagraphic picture of the storage yard on their web page - you can see several cars that will undoubtedly have what you want.

Also check The No. 1 SOURCE for You and Your Older Mercedes..................... We sell Solutions, not just parts! | MercedesSource.com they have a kit to fix your sunroof for like $45 or something. If that is not what you are looking for e-mail the guy and ask explain to him your sunroof scenerio and he should be able to help. As a disclaimer
I have no affiliation with the company mentioned above etc etc etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

actually that kit for $45 is for I think squeeky, and slow sunroofs, I understand what you are talking about, but you may still wanna check with the mercedessource people or go to Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market, and see if you can find a used one there. Also a good place to check would be Performance Products® – Performance Parts and Accessories. if they don't have them on their website give them a call, because their website usually doesn't have everything listed.
I love going to dinner parties in my benz, its really cool when you are all dressed up and driving a w126. As one book mentioned, the w126 screams class and says ".....I have arrived".

Check out the following website,
Mercedes Benz Tech Tips - D Jetronic Fuel Injection - Page 7
Eventhough it is not specifically for the cis injection system that our cars have it gives a good diagnosis procedure for cars that are hard to start.

Sohaib
No, no you don't touch the cable on 1986-1991 W126 sunroofs.

I am rusty with the headliner I need to actually install mine. But you open it about half way and their are 4 clips that hold it in. They will break, they are cheap and plastic plan on replacing them. Once the clips are out you SHOULD be able to slide it forward. I don't remember any more tricks but it has been a year since I took one apart.

As for tha panal itself that is cake, close the sunroof and look up. You will see four gold bolts two on each side. They hold the panal to the metal bracket's that are attached to the slides. Remove the bolts and pull the panal back and out. It is held into the tracks by a couple of brackets. You will need to play with it a bit to get it out and back in.

Sunroofs are really not that complicated I don't see what the big deal is. I replaced both slides and that center fiberglass thing without any special tools or touching the cable

The No. 1 SOURCE for You and Your Older Mercedes..................... We sell Solutions, not just parts! | MercedesSource.com
#5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 05:07 PM
slightly creased

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 1988 420 SE; 2008 ML 500
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by guarddog View Post

Why isn't the information in the DIY section???
Because we rely on kind hearted members who when they have collected a pile of info together, as you have, to post it up to the DIY thread...

Ross

OzBenz

beware of fundamentalists

#6 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 05:08 PM
CH4S Artist

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6, bought 07/08 with 50k original miles.
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The sun roof files are not in the DIY, because no members took the time to post there, after their problem was fixed.
Pick the files you need, and I'll put them up later.
Cheers

Sliding roof

* 77-050 - Remove and replace headliner of sliding/lifting roof
* 77-100 - Remove and replace sliding roof cover (panel)
* 77-110 - Adjusting sliding roof cover (panel)
* 77-130 - Remove and replace sealing and holding rails on sliding/lifting roof opening
* 77-140 - Remove and replace sliding roof control (cable)
* 77-150 - Remove and replace tubing
* 77-170 - Remove and replace lifting arm of sliding/lifting roof
* 77-180 - Remove and replace mounting bracket with motor and gear unit (round motor)
* 77-195 - Checking and adjusting sliding roof motor clutch (round motor)
* 77-250 - Remove and replace sliding roof wind deflector
* 77-300 - Remove and replace sliding roof frame

MB slide paste

* P/N - 001 989 14 51
#7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 05:12 PM
DP

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 190E, 400E, SLK350
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I haven't fixed mine yet but I have managed to remove a complete slide mechanism from a junked car. I will post with pictures how to replace the sunroof mechanism with hopefully minimum efforts and simple directions maybe after May 10th: final exams
#8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 05:15 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
I will document my progress, take pictures, and post up under the DIY thread when the job is complete--or if its a total failure, will still post-up. LOL

On another note, did a repair job on my hood today (got a little too aggressive with the rubbing compound...doh!). Now the problem is that the repair is too good. Like getting the exact same replacement shoe, but one of the shoes is fifteen years old. They look alike, but one is new, the other is worn.

For now it looks fine, but will probably have to repaint the entire car. Although, with the paint I'm using, I have confidence. I recommend "paintscratchcolors", matched up very nicely.

Its a lacquer paint, so I'm not sure of the wear time, but it polishes out very nicely.
#9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 05:15 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewprof View Post
I haven't fixed mine yet but I have managed to remove a complete slide mechanism from a junked car. I will post with pictures how to replace the sunroof mechanism with hopefully minimum efforts and simple directions maybe after May 10th: final exams
Where you located? But yeah, post up pictures!

#10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 05:17 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
The sun roof files are not in the DIY, because no members took the time to post there, after their problem was fixed.
Pick the files you need, and I'll put them up later.
Cheers
Thanks, appreciated. Let me do a little bit more digging so you don't have to post them all up.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class