Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Speaker randomly dies

909 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  markusfmeyer 
#1 ·
My front drivers side treble speaker (dashboard) randomly dies, then will randomly come back on. All other speakers work fine. Stock Becker head unit, amps and speakers. I took the speaker out to see if there were any lose connections. No. I know the speaker works. I tried to find the amps, but can't figure out how to get to them. I assume there is a lose connection on the powering amp. Where exactly behind the rear seats is this amp and how do I get to it? Which amp and which connection controls this speaker?

Thanks!

#3 ·
You may have a look at a couple of things.

The amplifiers are behind the rear seatback. On my SEC I don't need any tools to take the seats out, but I think the sedan has three 10mm nuts you have to remove.

Once you get access, try to switch the amps and see if the problem shifts with the amplifier.

Remove and thoroughly clean the fader control wheel.

The last place to check would be the RF filter in the driver's footwell.

Good luck.

#4 ·
When in doubt, throw it out. And get new ones!

#6 ·
I'm trying not to endlessly pour money into this car. I just want to get every last speaker, switch, system, ect... working as it would have been when new. If I had unlimited funds to dump onto this car, I would have already replaced the entire audio system. Not going to happen here. There just seems to be a lose connection somewhere. No need to throw anything out.

#5 ·
Anyone know for 100% sure, how to take the rear seat backs out? I tried pulling them out and they wouldn't move. I don't see any screws, bolts or anything holding them on.

I don't think the problem has to do with the fader. The drivers bass (door) speaker works just fine.

Where is the RF filter located? That one I haven't checked yet as I have no idea what it looks like or where exactly it is?

#8 ·
Yes, on the SELs at least there are two 10mm bolts holding the seat bottom on in each lower corner (with nuts on the back) as well as 3 10mm nuts holding the seatback on. This might help I got from another list:

For the DIYers there will be a day when you will need to remove the back seatto change shocks, rubber bushings, rear ABS sensor, remove the gas sendingunit to clean or replace.. I just went through this an found the combinationto reinstalling the rear seat back.. In searching the archives this seems tobe the biggest complaint, getting the seat back to align on the frame ,so youcan align the bolt holes that hold the seat to the frame.. First remove the two lower bolts at either side of the seat bench these boltsare backed with a nut, once bolts removed, slid seat bench out of its framemark an unplug the seat heater plugs, remove seat out of the car.. Now you are looking at the back seat cushion, unbolt the two bolts that holdthe frame to the floor rails, next unbolt the three bolts that hold the seatto the frame. Unplug the back seat heater plugs an lift the seat back straightup an off the frame.. If you have a helper it will make it easier but oneperson can do this job if you can lift about 30 lbs with your arms. Now to reinstall the back seat cushion, it goes only one way for all the boltholes to align properly.. The seat has three pins that fit into holes in theframe rail an only fits one way. The frame rail has two pivot points thatallows the rail to stand out about three inches with pins allowing the railto pivot.. To reinstall the back seat make sure the rail is hanging down to its lowestpoint of travel, now push the seat back up on top of the rail, by allowing theframe to hang down it gives a space of about two inches below the decorativepiece that should be held up for clearance.. while the seat is setting on theframe rail top you can put your hand down behind the seat an feel the frame.. Now gently move the seat a little back in forth until the seat pins slideinto the holes in the seat frame, you will no the seat is set properly whenthe bolt holes align on the bottom of the seat cushion frame.. Once in this position, you want to start the center bolt in the bottom ofthe frame its located over the rear seat motor in order to get to the hole toinstall the bolt pull out the frame a little at the bottom this will give youclearance to get the center bolt started. Now move to the two outside bolts an get them started, don't tighten anythingyet.. Now you have to lift the seat frame with seat attached in order to makeup the bolt flanges that attach the frame to the floor rails. You will have to move them a little to get the holes to align but once you getthe bolts started, now go ahead an tighten the rail to the floor frame , oncethey are tight now go tighten the other three bolts that hold the seat cushionto the rails, once all is tight then you can reinstall the lower seat benchin reverse order making sure you make up all the heater plugs an installingthem into there little holders to complete the install job.. If you try to install the seat back with the frame bolted to the floor railsyou will have nothing but trouble trying to get the pins to align in thereholes in the seat frame ,the trick is leaving the frame flanges that bolt tothe floor frame loose they get bolted up last in the reinstall..

#9 ·
I've got the seat bottom out. There are two quick release triggers on the that one, so that was easy. Now, where exactly are the 10mm bolts located? Everyone is saying they are there, but how do you access them? From the trunk, from the passenger compartment???

#10 ·
Under the seat. You have an SE, so maybe yours is different than the SEC or SEL I've worked on. One is in the middle, sort of "underneath" above the reclining seat motor which I don't think you have, the other two are on each side of the seatback towards the bottom. Again, maybe your SE is different as on my SEL its bolted to the track for the reclining mechanism which the SE doesn't have, and the SEC has a totally different setup altogether. Take a flashlight and look around, you should be able to find them! If there are none, the whole seatback should slide up and out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.