Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

LOST KEYS

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Sphynx 
#1 ·
lost my car keys, had extra set at home but was 300 miles away had to have them sent over night fedX where is a good place to hide keys out side the car if it is locked, had to stay the night and wait for the extra set OF keys to get their:bowdown:

#2 ·
On a work truck I had a while ago, I kept a spare in one of the little velcro key pouches, attached in a wheel well.
A little mud slung up in there, and you couldn't see that there was a key there...

When I was growing up, my dad kept a spare in a little magnetic box, wrapped in wax paper. He found a corner in the radiator core support that he could reach from the front of the car, and put the box there.

I'd just say look the car over, find somewhere that you can put it were it's not too obvious, and where it's unlikely to fall off if you hit a bump! I try to put it so it's sitting on something, rather than stuck on the side or bottom of some surface.

#3 ·
keep a spare set hidden inside the car, that way if you loose another set you can get roadside assistance to "break" into your car, i.e slim jim etc.

#4 ·
this won't work for most of us but if you have a car that has a keyless entry system you can have someone unlock the car from far away. If you both have cell phones and they have your other set of keys you put your phone near the car and have them hit the unlock button next to the microphone of their cell and the phones transmit the signal and the car opens. I thought it was bs until I tried it, but it works.

#6 ·
On an SEL, I'd use some nylon ties to put a key on a bumper shock absorber. A zip-lock bag and a couple of ty-wraps and it's there. The front bumper shocks might be easier to get to.

Then there's the tow hook behind the little door in the front grill.

Zip-lock bag with the key held in place behind the rear license plate by one of the mounting screws. If the key is too fat, then remove the plastic "head" on the key so all that's under there is the metal shaft.

See if one will shove into the jacking point hole behind the cover on the rocker panels.

Need more?? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.