Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Forgive me - a W124 Question

579 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  alexnatt 
#1 ·
Since I spend all my time on this forum and know you all have great technical knowledge, I want to throw out a question about a '91 300e I drove today. It has 149,000 miles, dealer book stamped up through 135,000, very decent paint and interior, no visible signs of abuse. It has heated seats with the orthopedic feature.
While driving I noticed two things - one, the brake pedal was hard and you had to really step on it to stop. I looked at the fluid and it resembles motor oil, so a fluid flush may take care of that.
The second thing is the transmission. On flat or downhill cruising stretches it feels fine. When going uphill there is a fair amount of vibration, less so if you're simply flooring it on flat ground. Does that mean there is a serious issue with the tranny? Dumb me didn't check the fluid quality or level, an afterthought. There is always a reason a car is traded in.... I'll get a PPI if I decide to take negotiations further.
This would be a winter driver for me while the 300se is parked in the garage.
Thanks, John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.