Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Best to go to the dealership for...

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  AxelWulff 
#1 ·
I'm wondering what services are best done at the dealership. Like most, I use an Indie, but wonder about specialized tasks that require special tools or arcane practices.

One example I can think of is an alignment.

What else might best be done at the dealer?

#4 ·
Best place for an alignment is a shop that's had someone on the machine for a Long time.

I can't think of anything I would want the dealer to do.. I'm often fixing things the dealer has tried to do...

Jonathan

#6 ·
I agree, a dealership is probably the best place for an alignment. Most regular shops with aligners do so many different manufacturers that the techs don't necessarily get to know all the models; especially the older Benzes.

The 126 cars are out of the realm of most technicians' expertise-in my opinion. The last time I had a 126 aligned at an independent shop, I practically had to hold the tech's hand!

#9 ·
Dealerships vary in quality, but so do indy mechanics. :(

Until you find an indy who has W126 expertise, you may want to check out your dealerships for urgents needs and repairs.

Not many alignment shops have the equipment to do 4-wheel alignment. Most of them can only do the front. The dealerships have the necessary tools and jigs to do the alignment properly. Besides, their cost is not radiacally different from independent shops.

#10 ·
I've got the manuals and read through the whole alignment section. I've just finished changing out stuff on the SEL and put the new rubber on the car. DAMN it feels good on a little test drive! Here's the question, is the dealer ready to deal with a car that's lowered? The rear camber is definately out of whack with the lowering springs.

#11 ·
AzimuthAviation said:
Here's the question, is the dealer ready to deal with a car that's lowered? The rear camber is definately out of whack with the lowering springs.
Yes they are. Well, at least my local dealer was (West Chester MB).

And, yes, rear camber adjustment was maxed out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.