BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy 83 300SD Fuel Pump Down?

Couldnt get my car started..along the way I did this:

disconnected the "out" hose from the pump and was able to squirt out diesel fuel
using the prime button till the cows came home. When I crank the car over, nothing comes out of the hose. Im thinking the pump is toast yes? Should add that I have a new fuel filter on...

Last edited by Tom Yaz; 07-14-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 05:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jun 2003
Vehicle: 1991 300 SE
Not necessarily – I’d make sure the fuel system is not leaking fuel or air. Then check the fuel tank strainer is not clogged. How many miles on your car? Recent work?
#3 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 06:14 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
No recent work...268K miles. Fuel tank strainer? Your talking about that small inline filter under the hood? That has been replaced as well. On the air leak possibility, wouldnt I have problem hand pumping if there was an air leak?
#4 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 06:19 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Sep 2002
Vehicle: Depends on the day!
Send a message via AIM to jhodg5ck
No, there is a fuel screen in the tank itself...likes to clog esp. on higher mileage cars.

Jonathan

Blue Ridge Mercedes/AMG East
Jonathan Hodgman
http://www.blueridgemb.com/
Enthusiast Service, Restoration & Tuning.
Authorized RENNtech Dealer & Installer
Follow Us on Facebook!
Located in the Atlanta area
05 E55 Estate
96 S600 Euro
93 300SE
92 500E Euro Track Rat
91 300CE
91 560SEC ECE
91 500SL Euro
91 560SEC 226/271
88 300E AMG
89 560SEC AMG+ SOHC 6.0L
87 Hammer Wagon 6.0L 32V
87 Hammer 6.0L 32V
86 560SEL AMG 6.0L 32V

Mercedes Repair Atlanta
#5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 06:34 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thats a new one for me...didnt know there was one..If I cant get it resolved under the hood, I will have to get my mencanic to look at that..If I had a air leak or the tank filter you mention is clogged, how can I pump sucessfully by hand but not by cranking? Shouldn't I have problems hand pumping as well?
#6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 06:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 300SD
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
When cranking the engine, the diesel injection pump cylinders pump the fuel into the injection lines/injectors at about 2,000 psi. When you use a hand pump, you are only pressurizing the fuel to several psi to purge the air out of the system. Be glad that nothing comes out of that disconnected hose when cranking the engine.

Loosen the bolt on top of the main fuel filter. Then hand pump the fuel until you see it coming out of the filer housing under the loosened bolt. Tighten the bolt and try cranking the engine.
#7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 07:20 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Hi P100, you got me a bit confused now..What I am "hand pumping" is the primer button on the lift pump. If the lift pump is not supposed to be "lifting" fuel out its exit hose to the fuel filter when cranking,("be glad nothing is coming out") then what is it good for?

When I said "fuel pump" I mean the lift pump, not the injection pump....

Or am I misunderstanding something?

Last edited by Tom Yaz; 07-14-2007 at 07:23 PM.
#8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 06:07 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2007
Vehicle: 1982 300sd, 1981 Harley davidson FLT
The fuel supply pump only runs at a few psi. The injector pump delivery pressure is the high pressure side.
The tank screen is a prefilter to keep the big cunks out of the fuel lines. ie: rust and debris in the tank. You would think that if the tank screen was plugged or had a cracked fuel supply line that the primer pump wouldn't draw fuel either. Where is the supply pump located on your car? Under hood or in the tank? It makes a difference if the pump sucks or pushes the fuel through the line. A leak on the suction side will draw air, cause the pump to cavitate and only leave some reisdue at the spot of the leak when the pump is not running. A leak on the preasure side will leave you with a big puddle. Also a leak on the suction side makes it difficult for the pump to prime itself.
Also have you checked the fuel pump relay? It should be loacated under the hood with the fuse panel. When the canister filter was changed during priming the system did you open the bleeder screw on the injector pump? injector pumps do not like air in any amount.
#9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 06:28 AM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: W124 400E, W126 500SE
There is no external fuel pump on OM617 (I think), the fuel pump is in directly connected to the engine. You are disconnecting the line leading "to" the pump, so that's the reason nothing is coming out. But it should suck air
#10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 06:31 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by isc62
The fuel supply pump only runs at a few psi. The injector pump delivery pressure is the high pressure side.
The tank screen is a prefilter to keep the big cunks out of the fuel lines. ie: rust and debris in the tank. You would think that if the tank screen was plugged or had a cracked fuel supply line that the primer pump wouldn't draw fuel either. Where is the supply pump located on your car? Under hood or in the tank? It makes a difference if the pump sucks or pushes the fuel through the line. A leak on the suction side will draw air, cause the pump to cavitate and only leave some reisdue at the spot of the leak when the pump is not running. A leak on the preasure side will leave you with a big puddle. Also a leak on the suction side makes it difficult for the pump to prime itself.
Also have you checked the fuel pump relay? It should be loacated under the hood with the fuse panel. When the canister filter was changed during priming the system did you open the bleeder screw on the injector pump? injector pumps do not like air in any amount.

Yes we are talking about the fuel supply pump. It is located under the hood. It is mechanical and doesnt use electricity. Yes I agree that if I can manually prime (suck) just fine then it would follow it should also lift mechanically. Hence the issue. I have disconnected the outlet line so that the injection pump is out of the equation. I am priming into a can right now. I can fill up the can with hand priming, but cant do it mecahnically (cranking). So I am thinking the lift pump is malfunctioning

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class