Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Car locked! And I can't get w/ the keys!

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  brandon671 
#1 ·
I got my 84' 380SE from a friend; the funny thing about the car is that the none of the keys that he supplied with the car work in the driver/passenger doors, just the ignition and the trunk. It wasn't too bad since the car was equiped with a remote-entry system so I had a nice remote to pair with the key set, so rarely had to open the car using the trunk lock (it operates all the locks).

A part broke on my car, and I had to let the car sit waiting for parts. I don't know how, but this evening I had to go get some stuff, and saw the ALARM blinking LED off. The battery died!!

So, the central locking/vacumm system will not work with the remote, and I can open the lock with what keys I have. Is there any way to get around this open any of the car doors? I can't touch the battery w/out opening the hood, which I obviously need to get inside the car to do.

Peter

#3 ·
Go to the nearest Mercedes dealer with the VIN number and proof of ownership and they'll have a key made for THAT car. It will take a couple of days, but you'll have the right key.

#20 ·
mmhm agreed. i got locked out of mine real bad. for months and months thankfully it was at my residence. since i live on a rock in the middle of the pacific ocean it took a few months to come in. went through one of the shops here, im not sure if i remember correctly but it costed me about 60-100 for shipping and all totals. goodluck!!:thumbsup:

#5 ·
Asimuth and 420 SE; I was considering that option as I can get into the trunk, but looking around I do not know where to start. Does anybody on this board know anything about hotwiring the pump LOL?

Mramay, I would consider that option but I do not know the what the original key for the car is. Isn't the original key supposed to be able to unlock the doors as well as the igition? i.e. if the key fits and turns in the ignition, it must at least be able to unlock the doors?

Here are the breakdown of my keys:

Key 1: ONLY turns the igition, and lock/open glove box. Will not open trunk.(considered master key w/ red dot on handle)
Key 2: ONLY opens the trunk, nothing else.

Remote: Two buttons labeled "1" and "2":
Button 1: Unlock/locks all car doors/gas flap/trunk; pressed many times repeatedly activates alarm.
Button 2: No function (That I have found)

Some of the locks on my car were obviously changed. I have no clue where to start.

#7 ·
scharepete said:
--snip--

Mramay, I would consider that option but I do not know the what the original key for the car is. Isn't the original key supposed to be able to unlock the doors as well as the igition? i.e. if the key fits and turns in the ignition, it must at least be able to unlock the doors?

--snip--
Some of the locks on my car were obviously changed. I have no clue where to start.
With the VIN number, Mercedes will make you an original key. They don't need one to copy, just the VIN number. I'm guessing that someone changed the ignition tumbler set and trunk lock from a junk yard car, not realizing that MB would be able to make them another one.

Better suggestion - have MB make you a new ignition tumbler set. It comes with the key you need anyway and it's easy to install the tumbler. You will then have one key for the ignition and the doors.

#10 ·
Glad you got it sorted.

I had same problem a while back and was able to resolve my lost car keys by calling a local car locksmith.

Not sure where you are but if you are near London you could use these guys
http://www.theaoutolocksmith.co.uk

One of their car locksmiths came and rekeyed the locks so one key worked for all external locks, the glove box and the ignition.

Strangely enough he called this "re-keying the locks"

#11 ·
just call your local CAA or AAA or any towing company they can open it for you with there special tool I seen them do it before on my friend car, perhaps you can do it your self. basically the have a strong metal thin bar like big screw driver or crow bar and gently slid it buy the window frame from top or side and in the other hand have a coat hanger and slowly start forcing the screw driver or the crow bar buy opening enough room to slid the coat hanger to the door handle or to the lock nub and have some towels or rages to protect the window frame from the screw driver and eventually you will be able to grab it. and pull it open
Good luck

#12 ·
For future reference, you can also get the hood-up (if you can't reach the pulling latch in the grille), by getting a "hooked" pick from sears. Basically a six inch metal rod with a hook on the end, stick it through the grille, and hook the pulling latch.

I learned this trick when I was painting the latch, and had it removed...then subsequently closing the hood to see how the grille looked--sans latch. DOH!

#13 ·
How do we open the sunroof from the boot? my sunroof only opens when i put the keys in the igniton and disable the immobiliser

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.