BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle: E320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
parts car title to register?

i came up with an idea. my car has not been registered in all the time i've had it. i'd like to drive it without getting a shot of adrenaline everytime i see a cop.. so, i'm wondering if anyone has a non running parts car with a clean title. because my 500SEL is debadged, no one would be able to tell. because thier are no VIN plates on the dash, i doubt i could run into trouble with the law. and arizona doesn't do a safety inspction or anything, is i just need a clear title to register my car. i don't actually need a parts car, but just the title. reason being that i bought my car before i recieved the title. he assured me it was clear and good to go. then when i get it, i find that it's not in his name, and some random friend of his in california wrote his name as a leinholder, but didn't continue filling out the info, therefore it's void. the only other idea i've come up with is applying for an abandoned car title, but i have no way to prove any kind of ownership aside from having possesion of the car. can anybody help me out with this situation?

and i'll throw in this random question with low hopes of an answer, but does anyone know a place that sells metric heim joints? having a hell of a time finding one to fit the spacer/bushing that goes over the bolt that mounts the endlinks of the rear swaybar..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 08:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG, 199k; 1995 E 420, 169k; 2013 BMW 535i M- Sport DINAN, 32k
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
I must be missing something here. People dont do these things

Quote:
Originally Posted by NüR-SPEC
i came up with an idea. my car has not been registered in all the time i've had it. i'd like to drive it without getting a shot of adrenaline everytime i see a cop.. so, i'm wondering if anyone has a non running parts car with a clean title. because my 500SEL is debadged, no one would be able to tell. because thier are no VIN plates on the dash, i doubt i could run into trouble with the law. and arizona doesn't do a safety inspction or anything, is i just need a clear title to register my car. i don't actually need a parts car, but just the title. reason being that i bought my car before i recieved the title. he assured me it was clear and good to go. then when i get it, i find that it's not in his name, and some random friend of his in california wrote his name as a leinholder, but didn't continue filling out the info, therefore it's void. the only other idea i've come up with is applying for an abandoned car title, but i have no way to prove any kind of ownership aside from having possesion of the car. can anybody help me out with this situation? ..
I must be missing something here.

As I recall you've had this car for awhile, didn't you get it back in Oct. or November of last year? Why did you wait so long?

And you never registered it yet? When do the stickers expire on the plates?
Did you have insurance on it at least?

Was it a California title that is messed up? Did you get a bill of sale at least?

Can you prove you did not buy a stolen car, with the paperwork you have now?

This problem won't go away by ignoring it I would think. If you DO ever get stopped or get in some small accident how can you even prove it is your car and not stolen.

I would think if you ever crossed paths with a LEO and can't show a valid registration and insurance you might even get arrested and the car impounded
(and they do damage the cars in impound lots, and the daily charges are very high in those places..) They don'[t even need probable cause, all it takes is "reasonable suspicion" something is not right. Once things start on this path, your fortunes will take a definate turn for the worse...

Fix this now, or this beautiful car with all the improvements you've put into it,
could be at serious risk, if I am understanding this right.....

My advice would be to trot over to the "Ask a Police officers a question" at Police & Law Enforcement - Officer.com Police News, Forums, Links and More for Police Officers, Law Enforcement, Corrections, Sheriffs and More forum and see what they think you should do. Explain you want to fix it and see what the cops say, usually they are pretty good.

I am sure the Arizona DMV has a procedure to unwind these kinds of problems, some states would require you go to Court to straighten it all out. Just get it registered, a clear Az title, and pay the fines and penalties, if any for current AZ plates on i and be done with it.

Things like this involve negotiating the routes and structures of the DMV title and registration system in place in your state. Hopefully, you won't need an attorney's help to clear this thing up. But you should address it right away, I can't stress this enough.

Dont wait to get stopped by the Police. Take care of it now. Trust me, a bout with the Police is NOT what you need. If I read this right, if they stop you now, things will take a very bad turn for the worse.

Putting a clean title for a parts car on this car would without a doubt would
put you into "stolen car" and "chop shop" territory, a criminal offense that carries stiff CUSTODIAL penalties, and possible forfeiture of your car and fines.

Don't even think about that. It is just foolish to do so.

Please tell me I am missing something here. From what you say, this is a real mess, don't let it get worse.

Jim

Jim
<--- superschnelle 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV, Hochverdichtung = high compression (11/2011) ... Wie im Freien Fall. Nur horizontal.

"I swear to god, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity." >'='<

Last edited by cascade; 06-20-2007 at 09:06 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 06-20-2007, 11:22 PM
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
in any other state, a mess indeed. in arizona, things are a little less serious with all the random uninsured immagrants all over the place. a bill of sale is worthless in this state. you do not need one at all. i have been stopped and ticketed for no insurance. it's resolved and the car is insured. the car didn't come with a plate as you keep your plates when selling a car. all i need is a title for a W126 to register my car. i have the title for my car, but it's screwed up cause some jackass wrote his name and nothing else which makes the title in limbo, so to say. it's not his, i can't scratch it out and write my name in.. the DMV (or as they call it here, MVD) tells me to get a power of attourney from whoever wrote thier name in the leinholder space, even though he doesn't have any kind of ownership, by doing so. i don't know this person, nor do i have any idea where he is. fact is, this state doesn't do an inspection or check VIN numbers. if i register any kind of SEL, i can drive my car. i'm sure the aboandoned vehicle thing could work, but the people at the DMV keep telling me to get a power of attourney, just so they can keep the line moving and not have to deal with it.
#4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 06:30 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2006
Try starting over at DMV by saying that you "lost the title" and don't mention or show the paperwork from the previous visits. Also, go to a different DMV office. Every office and every clerk will tell you something different. The fewer pieces of paper or info you show them, the easier it gets.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 11:19 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 89 560 SEC
I second what Dave D has proposed. I believe what you are proposing is at a minimum fraud and may get you in far more trouble than simply sorting the issue out as an honest mistake.

'89 MB 560 SEC
Euro RUF ECE Engine, Euro Tri Y Headers, Stainless Steel Twin Down Pipes, Euro Headlights and Wipers System, Chrome 18" AMG R129 Wheels, H&R Springs, First Gear Start, EBC Green Pads and EBC Slotted/ Dimpled Rotors.

'94 BMW 850 CSi
Dinan Chip Set, M Mirrors, M Four Piston Brakes W Floating Rotors, Chrome 18" RGR Racing Dynamics Wheels.

560SEC www.cardomain.com/ride/2246332

850CSi www.cardomain.com/ride/2093145
#6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 11:40 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 89 560 SEC
If you have the title, I not believe it matters if there is a name in a lienholders box, the state should issue a brand new title in your name.

You can always ask the DMV by phone.

Motor Vehicle Division

'89 MB 560 SEC
Euro RUF ECE Engine, Euro Tri Y Headers, Stainless Steel Twin Down Pipes, Euro Headlights and Wipers System, Chrome 18" AMG R129 Wheels, H&R Springs, First Gear Start, EBC Green Pads and EBC Slotted/ Dimpled Rotors.

'94 BMW 850 CSi
Dinan Chip Set, M Mirrors, M Four Piston Brakes W Floating Rotors, Chrome 18" RGR Racing Dynamics Wheels.

560SEC www.cardomain.com/ride/2246332

850CSi www.cardomain.com/ride/2093145
#7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 02:45 PM
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 560300
If you have the title, I not believe it matters if there is a name in a lienholders box, the state should issue a brand new title in your name.

You can always ask the DMV by phone.

Motor Vehicle Division

see, that's what i thought. something written in the box doesn't mean anything, it just voids that section. i'm pretty sure the clerk there was just not willing to deal with it as it's a little more work.. i'll try going to another DMV and show up with nothing more than a VIN number to say i lost the title. but since the title was never in my name, i'm worried that won't work.

a few more details to clarify. the car was bought from germany in 84'. imported to houston, texas for federalization. then transported to scottsdale where it has been kept by an older gentleman for most of it's lifespan. serviced at Schumaker Mercedes (dealership) for most of the time, and also an old indy shop called European Authaus which specialized exclusively in 500SEL/SECs. it has all the service history and orignial documentation. afterwards, the man sold it to a used car dealership in california a few years ago. it was bought by an iraqi auto shop owner here in peoria. he then sold it to his friend in california, however this guy didn't use the car. it sat for appx 8 months although still regularly serviced, then the iraqi guy bought it back. he used it only for 4 trips to california, then sold it as his business was slipping badly. i paid him $1K down to take the car, then i recieved the title when i paid him the rest of the money 2 weeks later. this is when i discovered the title was never in his name, but the cali dealership's name is printed on front. it's been notorized and signed by the dealership. so it's theoretically good to go. just need to put in my info and have a new title printed in my name. however, the friend of the iraqi business owner wrote his name in an irrelavant location further down the title. i don't even think it's a leinholder thing, but something for a dealership to fill out, and the guy doesn't know how to read english (literally). hope all this clears it up.
#8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 04:10 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: Euro 280SE W116, Euro 500SEL W126, Euro 300TE W124
Send a message via Skype™ to PANZR
Man, how do you get away with it, isn't your father a Police officer?

It doesn't have a name...it's just a car
#9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 05:33 PM
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: 1983 300 SD; 2000 E320
Nur Spec,

PM me. I can help you out.

'83 SD burns no oil @ 221,000 (crashed, RIP)
2000 E320 Wagon 4matic 119,000
#10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 05:49 PM
BenzWorld Elite

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomada
Man, how do you get away with it, isn't your father a Police officer?
yeah, my father is a colorado springs PO, and retired air force security police as of 20-some years. you'd be surprised with what you can get away with. i just bought insurance for the first time in 4 years after owning 15 cars! hahaha..

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class