Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Ideas for a Cup Holder for W126 560SEC

34K views 59 replies 32 participants last post by  wooky_chew_bacca 
#1 ·
I am a coffe drinker...and I am tired of putting my cup between my legs or holding it with one hand!!
Do you guys have an idea how to injoy my coffe while I am driving,or any pic's.
Thanks

#2 ·
I do not have a cup holder on my German cars however my wife has about eight in her Toyota Sequoia and their must have been twenty in the Suburban we rented in California.

If I were inclined to drink and drive I would purchase the Ultimate Cup Holder from BMW Cup Holders, Porsche Cup Holders, Ultimate Cup Holder - Cupholders / Drink Holders for BMW 3 5 7 Series, Boxster 911 Z4 Mercedes Audi NSX other fine cars.. This is one of the cleanest design I have ever seen for a retrofit. It appears to be high quality albeit I do not have first hand knowledge.

Attachments

#3 ·
Oh yeah, check out under "comparsions" on his website he has a pretty extensive run down of competitive models.

#5 ·
560300 said:
Oh yeah, check out under "comparsions" on his website he has a pretty extensive run down of competitive models.
Some of the "comparisons" are just too funny...:D

RacerWheel "Hello Kitty" Holder$31.00

Don't make us take your car away.

DIY Tricks
The Duct Tape Method$2.99 - $4.99

Peel away the plastic shrink wrap, press the roll flat on the floor... voila! Drink goes in the center. Once it sticks, it's not half bad! Wider rolls work better.
Especially handy if you have a V8 E39 BMW since you also can use the tape to try to patch your radiator when it detonates. ; )

The Shoe HolderFree if you use an old pair.

Wedge the toe under the seat, cup goes in the opening. High-tops work best. (I actually knew someone who did this.)

#6 ·
If you had the centre roller-top console you could easily attach a spring clip and arm to the inside. It could look very 'factory' if done right. I had always thought about adding this to my W124 E320 but never had the chance.

Don't forget to roll back the top first though....*SPLASH* ;)

(OT: Does anyone have a black centre roller-top box they want to sell me?)

- Steve

#7 ·
mattm2988 said:
I personally don't like this style of cup holder. It what I currently have (dont know if It came stock that way). It's cheap looking and doesnt fit the larger size drinks. Plus I always get the feeling that if I step on the brakes the drink will fly all over the console, carpet and seats...

#9 ·
mattm2988 said:
I have these - the upright model - and from the pictures it seems that Damon does too. Mine are mounted just under the door handles on the front doors of my 300SE. The material is nearly an exact factory match for the MB grey leather - I thought they may be a factory option at first, until I did some research. They work well, retain drinks well, make no noise when closed, look proper, and - this is the best part for me - people always think they are stock, and comment on how "Mercedes even puts integrated coasters in their cupholders!" Of course, these aren't stock items, but the corkboard coasters are a nice touch, and one that conveys a quality product. I would be concerned about mounting them where Damon's are, due to leg imapct - I think that the door is a fine place to mount them. Of course, on a Gen 1 car, they could be mounted under the armrest.

#11 ·
I dont get how they stay in place on the doors.. Does it actually have to screw into the door? The metal part that is. No way it just hangs on the leather..

#12 · (Edited)
560300 said:
I do not have a cup holder on my German cars however my wife has about eight in her Toyota Sequoia and their must have been twenty in the Suburban we rented in California.

If I were inclined to drink and drive I would purchase the Ultimate Cup Holder from BMW Cup Holders, Porsche Cup Holders, Ultimate Cup Holder - Cupholders / Drink Holders for BMW 3 5 7 Series, Boxster 911 Z4 Mercedes Audi NSX other fine cars.. This is one of the cleanest design I have ever seen for a retrofit. It appears to be high quality albeit I do not have first hand knowledge.

I have the ultimate cupholders in my 540i, and I think they're great. Don't know if these would fit the SEL though.

#15 ·
lol dont really understand why.. They put rear seat warmers in the car w/ the electrical reclining seat, but no cup holders!

#17 · (Edited)
oallelsefailo said:
I dont get how they stay in place on the doors.. Does it actually have to screw into the door? The metal part that is. No way it just hangs on the leather..
The directions basically call for drilling into the door, but that is not at all sensible. The way to do it (the way mine are fastened) is to remove the door panels and fasten the holder to the door card. A lot of work, but a nice clean look if it is done right. I could take a picture if anyone cares to see it, but I think it is fairly self-explanatory.

Oh, and if you're interested in the method Shrimpton mentioned, one can remove the front ashtray and insert a small flask sideways into that opening, allowing the tray frame to be closed fully... just be prepared for some piping hot spirits!

#18 ·
w140king said:
I dont get it did they forget to put cup holders???
The logic is, was; in Germany driving a car is viewed as very serious business and not something that can been done while mulit-tasking. In the US a car seems to be viewed as a mobile addition to your house, sort of an all purpose room. Bathroom for makeup, breakfast nook for coffee and egg McCheesy, and a dumpster in the back seat.

Face it if you are doing 150mph on the Autobahn you have no business sipping your favorite beverage. The Germans never thought of placing cupholders in AutoBahn cruisers its' a cultural difference.

#19 ·
Times have since changed. now... nearly all new mercedes makes have cup holders. Even my friend's VW Polo with manual transmission has cup holders.

#20 ·
think about what these cars were designed for.. going very fast on the autobhan, now i dont know about you but when im goign on the highway doing anythign over 100 i dont even think about taking a drink from a coffee mug or water bottle, however i like the cupholder in the BMW on the first reply, its a clean look

#21 ·
Cupholder

300se126 said:
The directions basically call for drilling into the door, but that is not at all sensible. The way to do it (the way mine are fastened) is to remove the door panels and fasten the holder to the door card. A lot of work, but a nice clean look if it is done right. I could take a picture if anyone cares to see it, ...............
SOme pictures will be helpful.......

Thanks in advance.

#22 · (Edited)
srsomasundaram said:
SOme pictures will be helpful...
Here they are. This is the driver's side cupholder, and the passenger's side is identical. All you need to do is fasten it to the door card with some metal screws and nuts. I actually would not have done this, as it does involve drilling the door card, but they were in the car when I bought it and the rest of the car was too good to pass up. If you don't mind installing them in your door cards, they do work very well and look very close to factory. The flash on my camera made the fabric on the cupholders appear a bit brighter than the factory door material, but in person they are negligibly different. Someone who is not familiar with the W126 would certainly think they were factory units.

They look to be crooked in the photo; they are actually level with the ground, and the door panels have curvature to them by design.

I much prefer this style to the Ultimate Cupholder, which requires taking your eyes away from the road - and thus, potentially telling the Ultimate Stupid Story to your insurance company when you hit something...

Attachments

#25 ·
300se126 said:
Here they are. This is the driver's side cupholder, and the passenger's side is identical. All you need to do is fasten it to the door card with some metal screws and nuts. I actually would not have done this, as it does involve drilling the door card, but they were in the car when I bought it and the rest of the car was too good to pass up. If you don't mind installing them in your door cards, they do work very well and look very close to factory. The flash on my camera made the fabric on the cupholders appear a bit brighter than the factory door material, but in person they are negligibly different. Someone who is not familiar with the W126 would certainly think they were factory units.

They look to be crooked in the photo; they are actually level with the ground, and the door panels have curvature to them by design.

I much prefer this style to the Ultimate Cupholder, which requires taking your eyes away from the road - and thus, potentially telling the Ultimate Stupid Story to your insurance company when you hit something...
Thanks for posting pictures.

The question is:
This model?
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/att...deas-cup-holder-w126-560sec-cupholder-002.jpg

Or this one?
Fischer Cup Holder - Ultimate Cupholders - Cup holders for 5 Series and 7 Series BMW, Z4, Porsche Boxster / Porsche 911 996, Mercedes, Audi, Acura NSX and other fine cars. The ultimate cup holder / cupholder!

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.