Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Restoring Interior Wood Trim '84 300SD

14K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  MB300Dave 
#1 ·
i've had my 300SD for over 2 years now, and it's not my everyday car anymore. Almost everything works on it, and its in pretty good shape, and considering how this car still draws some looks when I drive it, i've decided to leave it impecable. One of the major issues I have with the car is, that when I got it, the previous owner had replaced all the wood trim from the front doors and the dashboard with some ugly black plastic trim. This is a must fix for me, but i can't seem to find any replacement for this. Does anybody know where i can find a used or new wood trim for my car?

Thanks,

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome to the forum.
To add the mod. and location to your profile makes it easier to offer advise.
If you have junkyards in your area and are handy with tools, you might find the interior wood trim at a bargain. Otherwise you could check with mb dismantlers. W126 come with either Burlwood or (yours) Zebrano.
You can also type your question into the 'search this forum' box on the top right. It will get you all archived post re. your problem.
You might try the Russian MB site. Don't put in a mod. or vin, click on cars and scroll down, until you get to yours. http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb.asp

#6 ·
In looking around for odds and ends, I found a UK site. http://www.secshop.com I have not purchased anything from them but I did see what looked like full sets of dash woods. The wood on my 300SD is comming loose. I got a good tip from a friend who had similar problems. He suggested carefully applied epoxy to glue the wood to the aluminium backing then,use a prop or wedge device between the trim piece and the seat-activating the seat backrest to adjust pressure on the wedge to hold it in place.

#7 ·
I wonder if the PO didn't just stick that crap over the wood?

Maybe you could try and get it off, even if it is destroyed in the process, you haven't really lost anything, and if you can get it off then you won't need new wood.

Just a thought:rolleyes:

#8 ·
Radiator said:
I got a good tip from a friend who had similar problems. He suggested carefully applied epoxy to glue the wood to the aluminium backing then,use a prop or wedge device between the trim piece and the seat-activating the seat backrest to adjust pressure on the wedge to hold it in place.
Good trick! I did this myself on the piece next to the glove box. PO had the bright idea to use Liquid Nails construction adheasive to hold it on. A-HOLE! I redid the piece by cleaning everything of with MEK and light sanding on the aluminun and the veneer. I also had to rebond the aluminum to the base wood. I used a high temperature epoxy to combat summer temps that can crop up in a closed car. I used this stuff from TAP plastics:
http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=29&

It has a higher yield temperature than their other epoxies. It is super hard. I had the piece from the glove box fall off a table after I had bonded it and the piece cracked off along the bond from being brittle. I've tried several glues/adheasives and so far this is the only one that has held under normal service. I set the piece on a table well suppported and used a sand bag to provide pressure during the cure. Vacuum bagging would be a much better route if you read up on it. Interesting side note. The soft aluminum bonded between the base wood and the veneer was to protect the occupants during a crash to prevent anyone from getting a major "splinter" from the wood. Cool!

#10 ·
#13 ·
I had a zebrano piece to look at and polish up recently, ended up thinkin, i might even prefer it. Bit more up to date almost. I know it was the less expensive wood bit its nice.

My tip for wood polishing is to sand it down with fine p1200 - p3000 paper (not too much!) And then polish it back up with metal polish. Comes up spanking, like glass. Alas doesnt work on fade though only the shine.

Anyway, ebay, junkyard, the for sale thread all often have wood.

#14 ·
Mine's a real mess, torn off a real eye sore. The PO let the trunk leak & kept it parked outside, It's amazing that I didn't have fish living in the trunk. My entire inside needs lots of TLC. Cars in my area of this vintage are long gone in the local salvage yards.

But when the time comes I saved all your links. Even the 1st post looks amazing as to what I have!

Thanks,
Dave:eek

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.