Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

UPS Shipping "Are they butchers?" 126 271 3701 560 SEl/SEC 722.350 Trans Nightmare

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Peter Seow 
G
#1 ·
UPS Shipping "Are they butchers?" 126 271 3701 560 SEl/SEC 722.350 Trans Nightmare

We recently had a Mercedes Benz transmission delivered by UPS. The transmission weighs 150 lbs and was sent UPS ground. Have a look at the photos of this once 25,000 low mile overhauled transmission and you will see the large crack in the bell housing where as someone dropped it in transit.

This unit is a 1991 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL case number 126 271 31 01 and is a 722.350 series.

If anyone is looking for internal hard parts please let me know as the case is now toast. Were going to make the most out of it by taking photos of the dismantlement of this transmission. While transmissions are NOT our expertise in the automotive field it should be interesting to see how the internals of this transmission measure up with others that we have seen.

Other than this transmission everything else has been fine with UPS. Word to the wise if you are considering sending a heavy item like this thru UPS... DONT... Send it freight or your item will end up like this one.

Attachments

See less See more
G
#4 ·
brucemendel said:
Ouch...does insurance cover this? Or is it an "improperly packed" issue?

Bruce
Every time I see your post I think of that shark on the Disney movie "Finding Nemo". His name was Bruce also. The character portrayed a very calm, cool and collective personality until falling off the wagon. Did you ever see this movie? Because it’s funny you know, I am not trying to make fun of you. I think my humor is often wasted in this place but I keep trying.

Anyway I am still waiting for word from the UPS people. Just so everyone knows a 1991 Mercedes Benz 560 722.350 Transmission weighs 145 pounds empty. The max is 150 lbs for UPS Ground. The item was packaged according to the "Guidelines". When they dropped it off here they had it sitting straight up rather than flat and it looked like it had been rolled end over end the entire way here.

You would think on a large item like this they would have containers to set them in. Especially ones marked "This Side Up". Ill let you know the outcome of the investigation as it has been nothing but back burner action thus far.

Take care Bruce.

G
#5 · (Edited)
Its about time! Phewww

Well I am happy to say that UPS has granted the claim and paid up for the damage of the transmission... I lost $300 over all and have been sitting on it from the date this thread was made till today. Not to mention the customer left a negative feedback dispite the fact that he got a full refund. The transmission was returned missing parts such as the converter stop and kick down cable.

I will still use UPS however as a word to the wise, if it weighs close to 150 lbs send it UPS Freight as they boys over there at UPS Ground get a little pissed when they have to lift 150lbs.

Once again, if anyone needs good used internal hard parts for a 722.350 transmission let me know. I am also thinking about having a company local to here called Weldcraft work there mojo on bell housing. They have repaired MANY high dollar rims for us in the past so I am hoping that maybe they can do this too.

Just wanted to let everyone know that despite 2-3 weeks of back and fourth UPS made good.

By the way UPS told me that anything written on the box such as Fragile, THIS SIDE UP or such details are a waste of time. It was there standpoint that when an item is being sent ground that the shipper must be sure that the item could receive the worse imaginable treatment and still be ok. Just a little info for you.

#6 ·
Packing Issues...

NOW if I was your customers and found the that the goods were not crated, I will certainly the pissed and would have left negative. From the way it appeared you had not created the goods. I have shipped gearboxes from US to Singapore and F1 gearbox from Singapore to US without any problems. I would advise you as the seller to crate these stuff up. Things can fall off sometimes and we need the goods to be crated, boxed an bubble packed. Even we it arrives in one container--- the whole container is for my company. the boxes are sometimes bent and the shippers have tried their best. When shipping my expensives amplifiers that weigh 100 kgs like top of the line Krells or $200,000 USD FM acoustics, I have to bubble pack, styrofoam pack, box the amp, Sponge pack the box, crate the box, add styrofoam around the crated box the crate again. The packing alone is like 50 lbs, but i rather tell my customers the they have to pay for the extra shipping charges or i won't sell the item underpacked. My motto is if i can't close the deal because of packing cost, i rather not sell them than risk having a damaged item arriving! my items are full insured and my packing is approved by insurers.

#7 ·
I agree with what bruce was alluding to and Peter's contribution as well. If the item was properly packed, the damage more than likey would't have happened.

That said, I know the frustration of recieving damaged goods (due to a less than carefull shipper) in Germany last winter. The 4 cardboard boxes holding my AMG rime were insufficient to the task, One box disentegrated (got wet i think) and had to be repacked enroute, causing a 3 and a 1/2 week delay. Another, though the box still had 6 sides when opened, I found a small flat spot on the polished lip of the rim.

I'd imagine, as an online used parts seller. that this issue could have diastrous effects on your bottom line, if left unchecked. Not to mention the general errosion of what customer goodwill you try and retain as well.

Good Luck, MBL

#8 ·
www_126world_com said:
---snip---
Just so everyone knows a 1991 Mercedes Benz 560 722.350 Transmission weighs 145 pounds empty. --snip---
Take care Bruce.
Out of a negative comes just a little bit of positive. I've been trying to find the weight of a 722.3x transmission for months now and the information just shows up!!

The SEC conversion I'm doing will use an LS6 engine and a 4L65E transmission. From LS1Tech.com: "A fully dressed 2000 LS1 5.7 liter Corvette engine ready to install with the engine computer and wire harness, complete exhaust system, engine mounting brackets, AC compressor, alternator, custom water pump adapter, transmission adapter plate and flywheel weighed 434 lbs." From the internet, a 4L65E transmission is 155 pounds.

I haven't been able to discover the weight of an M117 engine, but I now know the tranny weight - thanks for that!!

#10 ·
what are you going to do with the case and do you have all the pieces from what I can see it looks like it can be fixed. I fixed a similar break on a ford alluminum bell were the starter attached the guy is using it in a rock crawler 4x4 its been a year now and its still going strong.

#12 ·
It's definately can be repaired. I don't see a problem having it welded but your customers might not like the idea!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.