20K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  Jupix 
#1 ·
Hey Guys !

I have a 1987 560 SEL, which has an on-board
trip computer situated on the cluster gauge,
first I had a problem with translating what
the writting meant since it was in German,
but thanx to a couple of helpful members on
this community web-site, that issue is resolved.

HOW EVER !!!!

Could anyone teach me how to work the buttons to
the on-board trip computer ????

It seems that it's a bit complicated, apparently
sometimes you have to press a couple of buttons
together at once to activate some displays on the
screen, and at other times you have to press several
buttons in a certain order one after the other.

So, does anybody know how to work this thing ?[?][?]

thanx,
Kouzaymos

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey 560 SEC,

thanks that would be great, French is no problem
what so ever.
Could you please send me the scanned copies to the
following e-mail, kouzaymos@hotmail.com

Once again many thanks bro !

best,
Kouzaymos

#5 ·
That would be GREAT !!!! if it's not to much trouble,
HorstK
cause 560_SEC , has yet to send me the French version,
and in any case I realy could do with
the instructions.

thx.
kouzaymos

#6 ·
Guest said:
That would be GREAT !!!! if it's not to much trouble,
HorstK
cause 560_SEC , has yet to send me the French version,
and in any case I realy could do with
the instructions.

thx.
kouzaymos
Have you ever received english version of on board computer instructions? I am picking up a 85 500SEL this week. Have found old Owners Manual for euro version of 500SEL. It covers all options but the computer.
thanks, chucks

#7 · (Edited)
Chucks,

The trip computer has it's own book all together titled "Reiserechner" or Travel Calculator in English. Part number 126 584 94 96

I have a hand translated copy from German to English. The previous owner of my car sat and translated line by line. If there is interest I can scan and upload for everyone.

Matthew

#10 ·
A very rare option indeed. I personally have not seen any U.S. models with this this option, only in pictures. The way the tach is set up to the left is really neat. good luck on diciphering the instructions.

#11 ·
I would much rather have the tach in that position, the lack of a clock is no biggie.

An interesting idea for a classy modification would be to take that instrument cluster design and leave out the trip computer for an open pod. Installing a backup camera/phone /screen/radar integration in that space would be a nice modern upgrade and very unique!

- Steve

#12 ·
redwood said:
A very rare option indeed. I personally have not seen any U.S. models with this this option, only in pictures. The way the tach is set up to the left is really neat. good luck on diciphering the instructions.
Actually, even rarer is to see the trip computer option show up on a W107. Saw the picture the other day on a 88 500SL. Now that's rare.

#13 ·
MJM said:
Chucks,

The trip computer has it's own book all together titled "Reiserechner" or Travel Calculator in English. Part number 126 584 94 96

I have a hand translated copy from German to English. The previous owner of my car sat and translated line by line. If there is interest I can scan and upload for everyone.

Matthew
That would be much appreciated. I just contacted my local Mercedes dealer and they told me it was not a valid part number and. Next I tried the MB Customer assistance center in NJ. They also told me they can't find it. I told them it was for a European option and they would have to contact MB in Germany but they can't seem to do that either!
thanks,
chucks

#15 ·
The trip computer set-up does have a clock - it's digital LCD and sits just below the speedo.

Here's pics of the system i installed in my w124 - it's a straightforward install, took me less than 3 hours. Routing the wiring loom and positioning the relay are the only tedious bits.

I have a a whole system for a w126 as well, which i shall fit soon.

Attachments

#18 ·
Like this you mean.....

Would have been better to post up some examples with your professional photo taking directive....not that it's important...this is a car forum, people don't have to have a degree in photography.

talbir

Attachments

#19 ·
cyberdyne said:
Does retro-fitting a system into a W126 coupe involve new woodwork in the centre console as well?

- Steve

Yep - the cut-out for the trip computer wood is very specific...so the gear surround wood is required.

talbir

#21 ·
Yes, a standard panel can be modified ....the trip computer specific panel is no different to the standard one...but to make that cut-out would require professional expert craftsmanship with all the right tools. It is not simply a rectangular cut-out....the upper part of the cut-out is wider than the rest....it's like the cut-outs that house the switches in the upper centre console wood.

It'd be cheaper to buy the trip computer specific wood from MB than have the proper cut-out made.

talbir

#23 ·
cyberdyne said:
So what would the total cost (Assuming you can find it) of retrofitting this system into a W126 roughly be?

- Steve
I've seen the whole system, minus wood.. but including the control switch for sale in the $500 neighborhood. Having someone do the installation may cost a lot, though.. especially if its done by someone who's not familiar.

#24 ·
The standard wood piece from MB Vancouver alone is $700. The euro one might be more. Unless you can try ebay Germany and see if they do pop once in a while periodcally.

#25 ·
The whole system, secondhand, can fetch a tidy sum. I sold a w126 system complete for 525 gbp last year.

The wood is expensive but ebay can work well. I got a BRAND new w126 gear surround wood piece with the trip computer panel cut-out....for 25 gbp !!!!

If you strike lucky you can get the system for about $500, as Snibble said.

Fitting is not difficult at all....it's all plug-in....i could talk you through it no problem. But for someone not familiar with the w126 wiring, it would be a struggle as the wires on the loom will not be labelled as to where they must connect.

talbir

#26 · (Edited)
talbir said:
Like this you mean.....
Would have been better to post up some examples with your professional photo taking directive....not that it's important...this is a car forum, people don't have to have a degree in photography.
talbir
Sorry, you just the straw that broke the camels back is all.
Yes it's a car forum, but things are so much nicer when the pictures are good.
I'm not great, but you can see some stuff here Richard's Photos - powered by smugmug and here
Richard's Photos - powered by smugmug (in this second link I'm partial to the men's basketball galleries because you can only work with what you're given and basketball is one of our better sports here. The first link, fwiw, includes a lot of pictures that I would normally trash just because I'm mainly using that gallery as a backup storage).

And who gets a degree in photography? Kids who have parents with too much money? There isn't a whole lot someone can be taught about photography.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.