Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Motor Mount issues...maybe?

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  LongHauler 
#1 ·
Can anyone describe or give me the symptoms of warn motor mounts? I seem to have some slight engine shaking during initial start up and a slight engine roar when I accelerate. Comments anyone?

#2 ·
youll feel the car vibrating/shuddering at idle

#7 ·
Htown - 3/21/2006 12:48 PM

Can anyone describe or give me the symptoms of warn motor mounts? I seem to have some slight engine shaking during initial start up and a slight engine roar when I accelerate. Comments anyone?
I have this exact issue cousin - let me know what you came up with ! Thanks!

#8 ·
lander91 - 3/23/2006 9:51 AM

youll feel the car vibrating/shuddering at idle
If I remember correctly your 560 had a broken engine mount last year? If so, was the shaking at idle the only sympton? No issue at WOT or anything like that?
While being a passenger I noticed the car vibrating/shuddering at the lights last night, and thought it was odd for Mercedes finest from 1988.

#9 ·
No I didnt have a broken engine mount, the current front engine "shocks" are squished a bit due to age and arnt performing their absorbing qualities as intended, I havent replaced them as thatll happen when the engines are being swapped.
To make sure its the engine mounts that are worn properly tune the idle to make sure its not that causing the shudder, your supposed to be able to stand a 20c piece on the airbox when the car is sorted right

#10 ·
if you Do replace your mounts make sure they are genuine /made my phoenix (they'll have a big S on them..). The rest don't last..I know I've tried them:p

I've seen the aftermarket mounts go bad around 10K.

Jonathan

#11 ·
Quick and easy check for the 300SE's. Look at the space under the exhaust pipe between the crossmember. When the right side mount collapses the pipe hits the crossmember and bangs on start up and sounds like a roaring or rumbling on acceleration. There should be about 10-20 mm between the pipe and the crossmember if the mount is OK. Good luck

#12 ·
I haven't had time to check it out sine the car has been idle for some time. Will check the spacing per suggestion from cjscopp as let you know. I'm not sure if the replacements were aftermarket, but the symtoms indicate an early collapse

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.