Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

head gasket/oil leak

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Ramesh 
#1 ·
1988 560 sel 106,000 miles
i seem to have an oil leak from my head gasket. good indy found it. he said that it was only a nusiance leak, didn't seem to be under pressure and was no real danger to the engine. i don't even have to add oil between changes, it is very small, but, i so hate the oil smell and will have to fix it or sell it.
so..1 anybody know if this is fixable without a head being pulled?
2 is this common?
3 should i do both heads, or just the current leaker?
4 average price of head gasket job
5 does the block have to be redrilled and inserted since it is aluminum?

thanks guys

bill

#2 ·
Hi Bill,

I'm right there with you regarding that leak. Here's my post about a seemingly identical situation with my car.

http://www.mbnz.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1237630&posts=13

Stinks, doesn't it........ and Spring is soon.

I'm wondering if replacing the seal at the firewall will keep the fumes out of the car.....
Hellofalot cheaper than heads, gaskets.........
See number 20 below.

Cheers, MBL

Attachments

#4 ·
Hi Bill,

1. It cannot be fixed without the head being pulled. The head gasket itself is very cheap. The major cost is for the labor. Don't try anything else, like sealing it with some thing. It can be dangerous.

2. Yes, it is very common. I was driving my car for about two years with a big oil leak. At the end I have to regularly fill in oil between oil changes. So you have a long time to go. Trust this mechanic. He know his stuff and will tell you when to change the head gasket.

3. Do both the heads and also the valve jobs, fuel injectors, etc. Because you don't want to spend money again to open the head.

4. I was quoted by a mechanic for head gasket and valve work for $4500. The dealer said it is $4000. But I found a trused mechanic who charged me $3200 for head gasket, valve work, timing chain (with all accessories) and complete engine tuning.

5. I am not sure about this.

Hope this helps.

Yours,

Ramesh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.