Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Pictures of my SEC

6K views 43 replies 31 participants last post by  bob393 
#1 ·
Nice weather again today (miracles do happen it seems [:)]), and I thought it was time to get off my to-do list and have a look at the progress made so far.

Engine has been running smoothly since the weather turned and we don't se 80-90 degrees anymore.

I still have some clearance issues on the left side as the engine hits the sidewall in reverse and on rough bumps.

The paint looks OK for now and the Euro headlamps looks a lot better than the US DOT headlamps.

I think the white paint looks good with the clear corners.

The car has been lowered with H&R springs and Satish gave it a nice rake, using thinner shims up front.

The car is wearing her 15", 195/65 winter wheels and they don't fill out the wheel well as good as the summer tires.

I got tired of the black steering wheel and airbag so I bought a used wheel on ebay and used some Leatherique dye to paint it gray. Took about 4 coats to change the color. The steering wheel was from a sedan so it is 42 cm in diameter. The SEC's is a smaller 40 cm wheel. Also, the color is a shade or two too light. I'll use it for a while to see how I like it.

I put some chrome mirror covers on to cover the dull and scratched gray plastic. I would like to simply paint the back of the mirrors white to match the car, but these will do for now.

Here are two of my 3-piece rims. I plan to have the centers painted white to match my car.

Aluminium pedals brightens up the foot-well.

Enjoy!
I know I do.[:D]

See less See more
#2 ·
Beautiful! I especially like the white gauges with the light colored , almost white, steering wheel. Then there are the photos of the M119...... :)

#3 ·
OHHH..AXLE....I've always viewed you as some what anal...& thats a GOOD THING !!
Just a beautiful example of the SEC.
It's all in the details....& you have them well in hand.
Thanks for letting us see your Very Special Ride.

#4 ·
Nice pictures Axle. This is the first time I have seen the pictures of your engine bay. I am assuming that the engine is a transplant, but not just a fancy engine cover.

AxelWulff - 1/24/2006 3:01 PM

Nice weather again today (miracles do happen it seems [:)]), and I thought it was time to get off my to-do list and have a look at the progress made so far.

Enjoy!
I know I do.[:D]

#5 ·
williammaw@aol.com - 1/24/2006 4:09 PM

Nice pictures Axle. This is the first time I have seen the pictures of your engine bay. I am assuming that the engine is a transplant, but not just a fancy engine cover.
Yes, it's a "resto-mod" in progress. The old engine had close to 200k on it when it developed a leaky headgasket at cylinder #8. Instead of spending a whole lot of money to replace the engine, I decided to spend a bit more and upgrade to the M119 engine.

Well worth it.[:D]

Attachments

#6 ·
Looks sharp! My 89 has an interior matched steering wheel..I like the look.

tomorrow should be nice for you as well...today is beautiful down here in Atlanta so it should be over you shortly!

Jonathan

#7 ·
Was the conversion hard?? I have the chance to do the same here in New Zealand a guy here wants to swap a low k 560 engine for a 119 (100k kilometers)
What do you reckon??

#10 ·
lander91 - 1/24/2006 5:36 PM

Was the conversion hard?? I have the chance to do the same here in New Zealand a guy here wants to swap a low k 560 engine for a 119 (100k kilometers)
What do you reckon??
It is hard - Very hard.[:(]

I outsourced the project to Satish Tummala at MotorWerks. This is the 3rd M119 conversion he has done so he knows his stuff.

There is a write-up on the MB Coupes website on how he did his car.
http://www.mbcoupes.com/memberscars/T/satishtummala/satishtummala.htm

#12 ·
coupe - 1/24/2006 5:38 PM

Wow ,nice ride man!

How much did you pay for pedals?
Thanks.

The pedals are a mix.
I got the accelerator, the brake and the parking brake pedals as a set from a supplier in the UK, Mercedes Performance, for 35.57 GBP.
The driver's footrest (around the parking brake pedal) I purchased from Ultimate Pedals for $69.00.

http://www.ultimatepedals.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=112_120&products_id=2669
http://www.mercedesperformance.co.uk/sitefiles/pdfs/SECClassW126Int.pdf

#13 ·
flyboyike - 1/24/2006 5:54 PM

But your car is now a 500SEC, isn't it?
Yes, it is.[;)]

But changing the decal to 500 SEC would be highly misleading.[:D]

I think I'm just going to remove it, but I'm afraid of what I'm going to find underneath.[:0]

#17 ·
Wow! Looks awesome. And that engine... [:p] Great choice on the mods. I love the look of the white steering wheel and the chrome mirrors are a nice touch. I might get a pair of those soon.

#21 ·
If it was me I'd do a couple more things to it. First switch out the headlight wipers with Euro, or get rid of them. Then monochrome the car and get rid of the chrome mirror backs. With the wheels you are putting on I think it'd look much better without the grey lower panels. But hey, that's just me and I do love what you have done. I'd be tempted to do a M119 conversion since it would still fit with my 5.0 badging but I have no idea if anyone around here even has a clue as to how to do it.

#26 ·
Good work Axel. How about we get together sometime soon since we're both in the Philadelphia area? Maybe some place at the King of Prussia mall. Let me know. Later.

PS - Greg, my mechanic has done wonders to my car, runs quiet and with much more power since the engine rebuild.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.