BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to pappucho
(Thread Starter)
1985 500 SEC AMG

I have an opportunity to pick up a 1985 500 SEC AMG in the area with only 35K original miles in immaculate condition for the measly sum of 7K. Does this sound like a good deal? I know nothing about this model car other than it looks beautifull. Anyone here can enlighten me on what to expect? Horsepower rating, fuel economy, reliability issues? The car is being sold by our local import car mechanic who I have dealing with for over 20 years with various cars. The car belonged to one of his customers who seldomly used the car and this guy kept it up for him. It looks like it just stepped off the showroom floor. It's extremely well maintained and the mechanic is very honest with an excellent reputation. Any information you experts care to share with me would be greatly appreaciated. By the way, what was the original sales price on this car? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 04:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 2012 Focus SE
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
RE: 1985 500 SEC AMG

Let's see some pics.

Felicita e un bicchiere di vino con un panino.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 05:01 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Don't have any yet. I'll see if I can take some in the next few days. Right now I am in research mode trying to find out as much as I can about this car before going back.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 05:22 PM
Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: Mercedes
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
pappucho - 9/12/2005 7:50 PM

I have an opportunity to pick up a 1985 500 SEC AMG in the area with only 35K original miles in immaculate condition for the measly sum of 7K. Does this sound like a good deal? I know nothing about this model car other than it looks beautifull. Anyone here can enlighten me on what to expect? Horsepower rating, fuel economy, reliability issues? The car is being sold by our local import car mechanic who I have dealing with for over 20 years with various cars. The car belonged to one of his customers who seldomly used the car and this guy kept it up for him. It looks like it just stepped off the showroom floor. It's extremely well maintained and the mechanic is very honest with an excellent reputation. Any information you experts care to share with me would be greatly appreaciated. By the way, what was the original sales price on this car? Thanks in advance!
To answer if its a good deal... you answered it yourself. Even if it were a non-AMG model, for the price, condition and mileage.. thats a good deal.

AMG tuned the car in different ways. You need to find out what was tuned. The engine, bodykit, suspension, interior, wheels, etc where "a la carte" where the purchaser picked and chose what he wanted to be tuned. It can be as simple as just a bodykit, which would not add any significant value... but if you have documentation if the engine was tuned, then you might have a jewel there. However, the market is not big for AMG cars... which is a bit strange since these cars where EXTREMELY expensive to tune when new and can be bought now for the price of a Honda Accord thats several years old.

Find out if its a SOHC or DOHC engine. DOHC is desirable for the extra HP and that beautiful AMG valve covers/heads.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 05:29 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the information snibble. Any idea on what kind of gas mileage to expect? I have read somewhere that just under 20 mpg should be expected. If so, thats not too bad for a V8. I recently bought a 1989 BMW 325I from this mechanic and he had all the service records from 1989. This guy keeps everything! I don't have any doubts that the same is true for this car. I didn't know that the AMG treatment was a la carte. That's good to know. I'll ask to see the documentation and see what was done. If it's any help, the guy told me the original owner imported the car straight from Germany.
#6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2005, 06:08 PM
Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
pappucho - 9/12/2005 8:29 PM

Thanks for the information snibble. Any idea on what kind of gas mileage to expect? I have read somewhere that just under 20 mpg should be expected. If so, thats not too bad for a V8. I recently bought a 1989 BMW 325I from this mechanic and he had all the service records from 1989. This guy keeps everything! I don't have any doubts that the same is true for this car. I didn't know that the AMG treatment was a la carte. That's good to know. I'll ask to see the documentation and see what was done. If it's any help, the guy told me the original owner imported the car straight from Germany.
I think it will more around 14-18 mpg(25% city,75% highway). AMG back then was a private tuning company, and not like what AMG is today. AMG today is part of Daimler Benz, infact this year they bought out the ENTIRE AMG stock. There was no "factory" model Mercedes AMG... but AMG cars that had the "full treatment"(Engine, suspension, bodykit, etc) were numbered and had an AMG serial #. Most weren't and running a carfac/VIN check will not show any difference between a normal stock model and one that was tuned.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 04:52 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Ok, so I went back today and left a deposit on the car. I'll be back on Friday to pay the rest and bring here home. I'll post some pics as soon as the cars is here. Anyone have any other information on this car? The guy says he has the records from importation on, so the AMG mods are not on any of his documentation. The car does have some visible exterior AMG mods, but I am not sure about the enginge. Is there anything I should look for to determine what may have been done? Also, does anyone know the original sales price on this car? I have read that it originally for 50K but some sites state it sold for as much as 70k. Can anyone direct me to an online site with more information on this?
#8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 07:09 PM
Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
pappucho - 9/13/2005 7:52 PM

Ok, so I went back today and left a deposit on the car. I'll be back on Friday to pay the rest and bring here home. I'll post some pics as soon as the cars is here. Anyone have any other information on this car? The guy says he has the records from importation on, so the AMG mods are not on any of his documentation. The car does have some visible exterior AMG mods, but I am not sure about the enginge. Is there anything I should look for to determine what may have been done? Also, does anyone know the original sales price on this car? I have read that it originally for 50K but some sites state it sold for as much as 70k. Can anyone direct me to an online site with more information on this?
Your car is a Euro market, which would not follow the US price guideline. Euro cars either came fully loaded or sometimes with less options than US counterparts and that affected the MSRP when new. Check the springs and shocks to see if they're AMG. Did the mechanic tell you anything else about the car he's selling?
Congrats on the purchase... and welcome to the forum
#9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2005, 07:28 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)

Thanks Snibble, the mechanic told me the original owner, a good friend of his who recently passed away hence why it's for sale, imported the car from Germany himself. The car had some AMG modifications and there is an emblem on the back of the car. He doesn't know what was done since there isn't any documentation other than the importation documents and all docementation since then. The car is very clean and even if it doesn't have the "full amg" treatment I think the price was very good. I can't imagine that there are many original 1985 500 SEC's with 35K out there. I'll have the car here on Friday and will give it the full AMG inspection. I understand that there will be AMG plates on the engine and possibly a different AMG assigned engine number. I'll report back when I know more. Thanks for the help.
#10 (permalink) Old 09-14-2005, 02:10 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 560 SEL Euro

1985 SEC 500 AMG Euro..(asuming it is AMG tuned mechanics) for 7k..Hmm. dude am i dreaming or what.. that is nearly nothing for that car.. grab it as soon as its possible..before the seller figures out the real price of the car and raises it to 20K or somehting

///amg

Fuel economy!! whats that??

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W126 S,SE,SEC,SEL,SD,SDL Class