Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will body parts from 380/500 SEC fit a 560 SEC?

10K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  81126 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm sure all of you know about my little accident...

anyhoo, I'm thinking about buying a 380 or a 500 SEC with over 200k miles and just switching the body panels from that over to my wrecked euro coupe. Is the hood, bumper, and passenger side quarter panel on the 380/500 SEC the same as in the 560? Do I need to get a 380 from 1986-1991 for it to fit, or can I cheap out and get an older one?

Also, does the 380/500 SEC have the same aluminum hood as the 560 does?

Thanks

#4 ·
All parts are the same and will fit, however your Euro front bumper will be a tough find since its a 2nd Gen Euro. You will end up with either a US spec front bumper or a 1st gen Euro.

#6 ·
You sure they can't just fix your existing bumper?

As far as aluminum hoods, it's just luck of the draw. A 380 might have it, it might not, same goes for a 560. BE SURE TO CHECK both what you have and what you replace it with, since the hood springs were different for different hood materials. According to a guy who worked in MB body work for a long time, people who didn't know better were ruining aluminum hoods by using the springs for a steel hood on them.

#7 · (Edited)
The front wheel arch lip on 560's is slightly more flared than on 'lesser' models
So, the fender may fit but it will be 'less' than what was originally there
The difference is not great but, it's noticable when you see the two together, the wider flares was to accomodate the wider factory tires, 215 as opposed to 205 for the rest of the line
Doesn't matter what generation your parts cars are from, only the 560 had the wider front arches

As for aluminium/aluminum hoods, the whole W126 range had them from the beginning

#8 ·
Parsifal said:
Do I need to get a 380 from 1986-1991 for it to fit, or can I cheap out and get an older one?
Parsifal, there wasn't such thing as 1986-1991 380SEC.

1st gen models include:
- 380SEC
- 500SEC
and the 2nd gen:
- 420SEC (never offered in US)
- 500SEC (never offered in US)
- 560SEC

As to body parts compatibility, you are probably going to have some problem with bumper, as Snibble mentioned. Besides, remember that the lower body panels also differ between 1st and 2nd gen.

#9 ·
michal_5000 said:
Parsifal, there wasn't such thing as 1986-1991 380SEC.

1st gen models include:
- 380SEC
- 500SEC
and the 2nd gen:
- 420SEC (never offered in US)
- 500SEC (never offered in US)
- 560SEC

As to body parts compatibility, you are probably going to have some problem with bumper, as Snibble mentioned. Besides, remember that the lower body panels also differ between 1st and 2nd gen.
Weren't there also just a few first generation 560SEC's in 1985? Or were they second generation 1985 560SEC's?

#10 ·
nomada said:
As for aluminium/aluminum hoods, the whole W126 range had them from the beginning
The whole range had them, but not every car had them. In fact, from looking through junkyards I would say less than 1/3 of the W126 sedans had them. Benz was experimenting at the time (there are also aluminum trunks, and every now and then you will find some aluminum body panel), and there doesn't appear to have been any rhyme or reason.

#11 ·
marlinspike said:
The whole range had them, but not every car had them. In fact, from looking through junkyards I would say less than 1/3 of the W126 sedans had them. Benz was experimenting at the time (there are also aluminum trunks, and every now and then you will find some aluminum body panel), and there doesn't appear to have been any rhyme or reason.
Interesting.
I was reading from one of my W126 sales brochures which states the 380's and 500's both had aluminium hood and trunk lids, it was a selling point for the 'then' new cars fuel efficiency through weight saving
I've found the opposite to you, all W126 cars I have come across (all euro spec) have had the lightweight lids
Perhaps it was another of those US/Euro differences

#12 ·
nomada said:
Interesting.
I was reading from one of my W126 sales brochures which states the 380's and 500's both had aluminium hood and trunk lids, it was a selling point for the 'then' new cars fuel efficiency through weight saving
I've found the opposite to you, all W126 cars I have come across (all euro spec) have had the lightweight lids
Perhaps it was another of those US/Euro differences
Maybe, my US brochure makes no mention of it, and my 380 came with an aluminum hood but a steel trunk. It was a guy who worked in MB body work for over 25 years and parts for about 15 who told me about the whole experimentation thing.

#13 ·
PWogaman said:
Weren't there also just a few first generation 560SEC's in 1985? Or were they second generation 1985 560SEC's?
That's right, they were 989 examples of 560SEC, but I don't think they were really 1st gen cars.
Although I may be wrong, I believe they were assembled in 1985 but probably as a 1986 model year cars with 1986 specs. I've seen once the 560 claimed to be 1985, and it has 2nd gen bumpers, lower body panels, interior, etc.

#14 ·
I thought that all W126s had aluminum hoods and decklids. My '82 300SD had them as does my 560SEC. Also looking for a good used SEC grill.

#15 ·
I know the 300SD's had alloy hoods/decklids. I know my 87 560SEL did not.

It was my understanding that only the US SD's had the alloy bits but if Richards 380 had an alloy hood that's something new to me.

Jonathan

#16 · (Edited)
jhodg5ck said:
I know the 300SD's had alloy hoods/decklids. I know my 87 560SEL did not.

It was my understanding that only the US SD's had the alloy bits but if Richards 380 had an alloy hood that's something new to me.

Jonathan

Yup, had an aluminum hood (was light, non-magnetic, and when they knocked on it and listened the guys at the body shop agreeed it was aluminum). I know that was the original hood for a fact. When it got damaged, we had to go through 7 different cars before finding one (another nautical blue 380SE in fact) that had an aluminum hood. BTW, I believe that car also had an steel trunk like mine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.